• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

birds flying loose in house

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Intetesting. What's so scary about curling ribbon? I have a feeling Blu wouldn't be phased by it :bored:

I always assumed they thought it was a snake LOL

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My birds fly loose in the house most of the time. Cheeky GCC has good manners and will usually fly to her perch to poop. She also does not like the feel of most fabrics and doesn't enjoy sitting on the sofa, chairs, ect. She pretty much sticks to her stands, peoples' laps, and a few wooden chairs. I never had to teach her not to fly anywhere; she is naturally a little cautious and prefers to stick to familiar spots.
Sammy the budgie has typical dry little budgie droppings that are not messy, if he poops on something, it's just a matter of brushing it to the floor and sweeping it up later.

Kiwi the linnie is the 'problem pooper' as he has very large, messy droppings and refuses to be trained in any way or to even give any advance warning. He used to have a bad habit of flying onto the lamps in the living room. He didn't seem interested in them, but for some reason, he was drawn to them. I tried all kinds of things, including draping toilet paper over the lamps (in the hope it would drift around in the wind produced by his wings and scare him from the lamps) - the end result was he'd still try to land on the lamp but would often slip and fall. Eventually all that could be done was to just run over and remove him from the lamp every time. It was kind of annoying but he has very gradually stopped landing on the lamps quite so much. Now when he wants to fly to that side of the living room, he will usually go for the sofa instead, which is a compromise we're pretty happy with (that sofa is 100x easier to clean than a white lampshade).

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That is SO weird. Like you.:nanana:

So weird like me. :rolleyes::laugh:

I go for the easiest measure possible. I think if you were to drape your home in ribbon it would start to render itself ineffective but in a spot or two has worked here for years. I could see this working for a bookshelf, doorway or curtain rod. Our bad spot was the TV.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
I provide "high" places for Mango to land on, so she flies from one high spot to another - top of an armoire (covered with paper), atom suspended from ceiling, etc. If I'm in the bedroom with her and she's out, I have a bird stand near my chair. Since all of her landing places have interesting "toys" for her to play with, I don't have to worry about her getting into other stuff. So far, it works. :)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm so glad I started this conversation . I have huge high windows which aren't covered and the ribbon would be great to keep her from flying into them .however I still have a concern about her getting on ceiling fans and window facing that are 11 feet high and not coming down for me. When I moved here that was the first thing my tiel did. Took an 8 ft ladder to get him. Right now she is next to kitchen,open floor plan, cause that's where I spend all my free time. I've kept her clipped because this area isn't totally bird proof but the kitchen table is set up with a jungle gym and toys (and me). She seems happy and content , but I'd love for her to be able to fly. Maybe I could train her to come to me if she gets out of reach. Thank u to all who responded.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
If you are unsure of her coming to you, you just have to figure out a way that will make her. When Mango was asserting her independence, I couldn't let her out of her cage until the evening because I knew that she would come back to her cage if I turned off the lights for a few minutes. Then I would turn on a dim light, and she'd fly right back to her cage. I couldn't let her out earlier in the day because I knew she wouldn't go back into her cage if I had to leave the house. :(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Donna, are there rooms in the home without the ceiling fans and with lower ceilings? If so you would do better to have her out in those rooms, specifically until you recall train your bird. Also, NEVER allow your bird loose in a room with a running ceiling fan. The birds don't recognize how lethal they are and are easily killed by them.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
The only rooms with lower ceilings are bedrooms and bath. Yeah I'd never run a fan if there was a bird out. I never spend any time in back of house so if I let her wings grow out her time out would be so limited. With her wings clipped I can do all kinds of chores with her on my shoulder or very near so she gets out 3 to4 1/2 hrs a day .she is safer here clipped but I do wish she could fly around free. Maybe one day I will work it out so we can have our cake and eat it too. She seems like a very happy content bird now but nothing is quiet so delightful as a happy little bird flying around. I got some good ideas here that would solve some problems but I'd still have a lot to change to get bird safe.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Even clipped she is in danger from the fans; if frightened enough, a clipped bird can fly up to ten feet high or thirty feet away from you. The adrenaline rush gives them the oomph needed to get airborne.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Why have I not heard of this magic?:handup:

Not sure, It's been up for years. :laugh: I try the simplest measure possible for everything. Sometimes it works and sometimes they make a fool of me. This was one of my wins. :hilarious:

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I never leave cheeky unsupervised even tho she's clipped cause I have seen her scoot across the room when startled. I never have the fans on or hot open pots on the stove when she's out even tho it's unlikely she could reach either ,because I'm one of those worrying people who sees accidents everywhere in my mind.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie will hold it if she knows I am getting up for the day land on the table and poop off the edge of the table to the floor. She figured she would give me a break and poop on the floor instead of my shoulder then come over and say good morning to me now. She still piddles by her dish and in her other two spots and tries to attack me for cleaning up her "gifts". She keeps it to her three spots though so I guess I can deal with the lunges and attacks for cleaning up her mess.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky comes down from my shoulder to poop on the table from my hand but when she's on my husband she poops on him. Do u think this is a birdie statement ? LOL

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
My plan is to place Boba on his play gym about every 15- 20 minutes (before he poops) in order to potty train him. When he's done, ask him to step up and repeat until he flys to his designated poop spot when he has to go. Obviously i havnt tried this yet, but I know it has worked for a lot of people. There are videos on YouTube by the parrot wizard that explain the process better.