• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird pounding his beak on cage like hammering

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
A few days ago we were talking to taz our senegal and he was hanging on the side of his cage and he started hitting his beak against the cage like hammering. He did this a few times while we were there? What does that mean? I have not seen him do it since but I cant say he has not done it and I havnt noticed.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
skittles and caleb will do this. sometimes its in play, sometimes its a display of aggression, at least that's how it is with my birds. the others, dont seem to do this. oh and caleb will do it on my arm in pre-mating behavior. i just put him on his cage to play and calm down when that happens.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
it seemed when he did it the first time and me and my niece started laughing at him about it (like what is he doing) It seemed like it got him going and he kept doing it more when we would laugh.

he also has done alot of head bobbing lately

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hobbs Meyers used to beak hammer to get attention. He would hammer on the cage, the perches, the play stands, anything. Cockatiels hammer on perches and nest boxes to claim their territory. Beak hammering is very widespread in the bird kingdom.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
thanks he has never done this in over a year I have had him. So I didnt know why he was doing it. He seemed like it was to make us laugh because we would talk to him and he started it. We started laughing and I guess he saw it was funny to us so he did it a few more times. But I wasnt sure if this was normal or not thanks

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Merlin does it, too. I call it her beak bopping. She will do it to me, her food dish and the cage. She seems to do it when she's really excited.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Mali (a poi) hammers on everything all the time! She does it when she's feeling very playful and wants attention.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Mali (a poi) hammers on everything all the time! She does it when she's feeling very playful and wants attention.
Yep, Kali does it for those reasons as well. :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You should see Lord Maxwell Studmuffin..he is an expert beak rapper.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snuggles the 'tiel will bang, bang, bang the bars to get the attention of his BFF, the other tiel, Sashimi. Sashimi does not respond. He doesn't like Snuggles - or anybody for that matter!

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
skittles' first owner taught him to 'box'. he will 'punch' with the the front of his top mandible, even doing that boxing weave and bob movement. he (skittles) thinks its hilarious to sucker punch me in the nose or right between the eyes. :lol:okay, i admit it, i do too. :rolleyes:

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
You sucker punch yourself, Beth? Oh my. :lol:

:coffeescreen: oh my. okay i guess the 'grammar' filter hadnt kicked in this morning... see??? the dangers of typing BEFORE you've had a whole cup of coffee. :coffee:

;) what i MEANT to imply is i think its funny also. <goes to get more coffee shaking head and blushing>

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
My sennies and Male CAG do this.
Sam the CAG sounds like someone as at the door. I don't fall for that anymore
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.