• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best cage brands?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion regarding that best cages that are available today? Is there a company that is building really modern, nice-looking, functional, high-quality bird cages these days? When I bought my cage 20 years ago, it seemed that California Cages was the way to go, but they are not around anymore.

Thanks!!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I really like Avian Adventures cages. They no longer to stainless steel cages thou. I have two used SS cages and if you find used one or afford new one I'd really recommend them. As two which brand is the best with SS I don't know.

If SS isn't an option I'd go with Avian Adventures. Of the cages I've seen in person I like them the best. Sadly no one makes a perfect cage IMHO. What kind of bird will be living in it?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Right now, I'm using a Prevue Hendryx Pet Products flight cage. It is awesome for the price! But, like Sarahmoluccan said, there is no perfect cage. The Prevue Pet Products cage I have is good, but parts of the cage are a tad bit flimsy. This hasn't been a problem, as my birds are small Budgies. But it's definitely not the sturdiest cage out there. The food bowls were cheap plastic, and about 3 of the 4 of them broke, but I easily replaced them. It came with 3 perches, but they were dowel perches (which aren't good for birds' feet). The cage wasn't hard nor exactly easy to assemble. Me, my dad, and my brother put it together in about 30-45 minutes. Most Prevue Pet Products bird cages are too small for permanent living. I just happened to find one of the larger ones. I'll just say this, the $100 I spent on it was well spent. However, next time I go cage shopping, I'll try to look for another brand. If you're looking for a good, cheaper cage, the Prevue Hendryx Pet Product flight cage is the way to go. But, if you have the money, I would suggest looking at different brands.

Recently, while just looking on the internet, I came across a Critter Nation cage, a cage meant for rats, hamsters, Chinchillas, etc. But I've got to say, based off all the information I found, it could be a great bird cage! It's got 1/2 bar spacing (good for smaller birds). And the bars are horizontal, which makes it easier for birds to climb. It's got a slide out grate. It's got shelves meant for other critters, but their removable. This is just a small summary on it. I made a post with more information on it. Here it is: Great Cage for Birds! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The two cages I discussed above are, however, meant for the smaller guys. Birds like finches, Budgies, Cockatiels, and MAYBE even Green Cheek Conure (sorry if I'm wrong on this. I'm not sure exactly what the cage requirements are for these adorable birds). It would be great if you could tell us what bird you have or plan to have, that way we can suggest cages made for birds around the size of your own. I hope the information I provided was helpful! :)

Reactions: Jas

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I have an A&E cage, and I really like it. (It is the medium elegant flight cage, dimensions of 32" x 21" x 61" I think) My only complaint is that the door is kinda small, so it can be hard to move toys and perches around/put them in. Also the feeder doors/food bowls are fairly low, and often get poop or toy pieces in them. Other than that I love it.

The Iowa Parrot Rescue prefers A&E cages too, we are actually in the process of getting all new cages and replacing all of the old ones. In the larger cages the bowls are higher, so they don't have the same problem I do with my cage. And the doors are bigger lol.

I would definitely recommend this brand though, both for powder coated and stainless steel cages. :)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I like the rainforest cage brand as they have feeder doors, horizontal bars,large doors with parrot safe locks and nice finishing touches like the plastic trays are heavy duty.

They are a tad bit pricey though and mainly cater for large birds.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Most of the cages I have are Kings cages, I have 5 of them.Also have 2 Prevue Hendrix cages,and 1 Hagen cage.I really like them all.But my favorite ones are the Kings cages,as the powder coating stays on and hasn't come off. My Senegal has had his Kings cage for over 10 year,and no powder coating has come off yet .

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, you guys are awesome!!! So many great responses.

The only parrot I have ever had, a white-capped Pionus named Cosmo that I loved very much, passed away on November 20, 2017 after 21 great years with me. I miss her soooooooooooo much!!! I am thinking about getting another parrot soon. I really, really miss having a feathered friend.

I am considering another Pionus (maybe a blue-head, bronze-wing, or even another white-cap) as I really liked many of Cosmo's characteristics (very tame and affectionate, not too loud, did well on her own while I worked during the day, very nice size, playful). However, I am also considering other species as well, such as a conure (though they may be too loud) or a parrotlet.

I was thinking that it would probably make sense to buy a new cage instead of using Cosmo's 20-yr-old, worn out cage. Also, it so hard to imaging another bird living in Cosmo's space!!!

Someone told me that California Cages went out of business. It's great to see that they are still around, and that their prices are very reasonable.

I am going to spend some time exploring all of the brands that each of you suggested. Great to see that their are options!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
This link appears to show California brand Cages?
I looked and the prices were wonky. All the cages from the smallest to the largest are all listed as the same price. So I put several in my cart and they were all listed as unavailable. I am sure California Cages went out of business around 2008 .

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I looked and the prices were wonky. All the cages from the smallest to the largest are all listed as the same price. So I put several in my cart and they were all listed as unavailable. I am sure California Cages went out of business around 2008 .
Weird...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow, you guys are awesome!!! So many great responses.

The only parrot I have ever had, a white-capped Pionus named Cosmo that I loved very much, passed away on November 20, 2017 after 21 great years with me. I miss her soooooooooooo much!!! I am thinking about getting another parrot soon. I really, really miss having a feathered friend.

I am considering another Pionus (maybe a blue-head, bronze-wing, or even another white-cap) as I really liked many of Cosmo's characteristics (very tame and affectionate, not too loud, did well on her own while I worked during the day, very nice size, playful). However, I am also considering other species as well, such as a conure (though they may be too loud) or a parrotlet.

I was thinking that it would probably make sense to buy a new cage instead of using Cosmo's 20-yr-old, worn out cage. Also, it so hard to imaging another bird living in Cosmo's space!!!

Someone told me that California Cages went out of business. It's great to see that they are still around, and that their prices are very reasonable.

I am going to spend some time exploring all of the brands that each of you suggested. Great to see that their are options!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig
I don't know where you are located. But there are so pi's in my local rescue in SW Florida.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I'm so sorry for your loss, Craig. It's never easy moving on.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you are preparing and getting everything ready before you bring another bird in your home. You may want to consider smaller species, as well! Do not underestimate the little fellas; they're just big personalities in a smaller package! :)

I honestly love Pionus parrots. Based off what I've heard, their sweet and affectionate and are quieter birds. Their size is also not small and not big! Your Cosmo sounded like such a sweetheart. At least she had a nice, long 20 year long life.

We were glad to help with the cages! :) And also, welcome to the forum!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Also, please adopt a bird from a rescue, if you can. We all love baby birds, but there are just so many parrots stuck in rescues looking for their own forever family. Who knows, you might even find a younger bird in a rescue that turns out to be a perfect fit!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This link appears to show California brand Cages?
Surprised they have them on the site although they are all shown as being out of stock. The line has been discontinued because the manufacturer closed shop. They really should remove that page from their website.

@cab124 Sorry for your loss of Cosmo.

If you want a powder coated cage I prefer Avian Adventures. There are a few things I would change but overall I like the design and that they are very easy to put together. Just slide tabs into slots for the most part although sometimes you have to straighten the tabs. I do have an A&E and it took me forever to put together. I don't like that it doesn't have a shelf underneath which the Avian Adventures cages have. Avian Adventures cages used to come with natural wood perches but they have replaced those with dowels and seems that the descriptions on most sites have not updated that information.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I don't know where you are located. But there are so pi's in my local rescue in SW Florida.
I am located in Ohio. I anyone knows of any rescues or breeders in my area, please let me know! Thanks.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I'm so sorry for your loss, Craig. It's never easy moving on.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear you are preparing and getting everything ready before you bring another bird in your home. You may want to consider smaller species, as well! Do not underestimate the little fellas; they're just big personalities in a smaller package! :)

I honestly love Pionus parrots. Based off what I've heard, their sweet and affectionate and are quieter birds. Their size is also not small and not big! Your Cosmo sounded like such a sweetheart. At least she had a nice, long 20 year long life.

We were glad to help with the cages! :) And also, welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the warm welcome. It's really great to talk with some other bird lovers.

Yes, Pionus really seem to be great birds, though not as popular as most of the other species.

I have heard that parrotlets are exactly what you describe, "big personalities in a smaller package." That sounds really appealing. Living in a condo, where loud sounds could be a problem, the smaller, quieter species are probably safer bets. Deciding what type of bird to get is going to be tough!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Also, please adopt a bird from a rescue, if you can. We all love baby birds, but there are just so many parrots stuck in rescues looking for their own forever family. Who knows, you might even find a younger bird in a rescue that turns out to be a perfect fit!
I am definitely open to that if I can find a good match.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Surprised they have them on the site although they are all shown as being out of stock. The line has been discontinued because the manufacturer closed shop. They really should remove that page from their website.

@cab124 Sorry for your loss of Cosmo.

If you want a powder coated cage I prefer Avian Adventures. There are a few things I would change but overall I like the design and that they are very easy to put together. Just slide tabs into slots for the most part although sometimes you have to straighten the tabs. I do have an A&E and it took me forever to put together. I don't like that it doesn't have a shelf underneath which the Avian Adventures cages have. Avian Adventures cages used to come with natural wood perches but they have replaced those with dowels and seems that the descriptions on most sites have not updated that information.
Yes, they really should update their site. I am finding that all over the web as I search for bird-related information. There are so many old web sites that are not being updated anymore.

I will definitely checkout Avian Adventures cages. Thank you!

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I have found California Cages to be the best, unfortunately they closed up shop (as stated above). I have a few of the larger A&E cages, their paint does not hold up very well. I have much older (20 year old) California Cages that still have great paint where my A&E cages that are only 5 years old have had to have parts replaced. I also had to buy a few replacement trays last year for my A&E cages, the only place I could get them from were the company and they took 9 months to get. They also arrived dented and scratched. The cages are made in China. I am not sure if the damage happened coming in from overseas or if it happened during the domestic shipping but given the time it took to get them I just made due rather than waiting another 9 months. It was very disappointing. I have heard good reviews on the Kings cages.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My favorites are the Avian Adventures. I also really like Kings cages.