• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bee Pollen

lissa

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa McIntyre
I'm wondering if anyone else offers their birds bee pollen?

I've noticed a great improvement in my bird's feathers since I started adding bee pollen to their diets. My love bird, Sweetheart, seems to be triggered into breeding mode by it, so she only gets a tiny bit every two or three days. My budgie, however, looks amazing on daily bee pollen! His feathers have completely molted out since I got him (well, found him starving outside) and look simply stunning.

I offer bee pollen as from Dr Harvey's Perfect Parakeet Food/Colossal Cockatiel Food. the budgie gets about two teaspoons of this seed mixture a day- my lovebird bets about one teaspoon every other day/every three days or so. Both also get some pellets and as much fresh foods as they'll eat. Since I started adding the bee-pollen seed instead of regular seed, I've really seen a difference in them.

Has anyone else witnessed this? What are your opinions?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I actually offer bee pollen in a premix..called Higgins...it is like a salad...and they all love it...

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
Yes, I buy the bee pollen from goldenfeast and I just love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
i got a free sample, haven't used it yet though not sure who i want to try it on, but I'm thinking now my 2 lovebirds who their mates plucked may be my "guinea pigs" for it

is it safe for youngsters too? as the one lovebird has his baby with him who's 3 months old, and another pair have 4 that just hatched

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I love bee pollen. I use it daily in my cookables or fresh foods. I use Avian Trio. (If you click the link and scroll down, you can read all about it). Great stuff!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I've been using goldenfeast Whole Bee Pollen. I sprinkle a little on their cooked foods.

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
i got a free sample, haven't used it yet though not sure who i want to try it on, but I'm thinking now my 2 lovebirds who their mates plucked may be my "guinea pigs" for it

is it safe for youngsters too? as the one lovebird has his baby with him who's 3 months old, and another pair have 4 that just hatched

I've never heard of anything adverse happening from little ones eating bee pollen. Tui my grey gets it but she is a bit older than yours at about 20weeks now.

It never hurts to make a quick check with the vet first though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I've never used bee pollen with Nitro before but I've heard nothing but good things about it!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The mousebirds eat it as is, just plain. The others get it sprinkled on their food. Great stuff, and it offers a bit of protein. It is said to have " all vitamins, minerals, amino acids, trace elements, and protein needed to sustain life"

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I use Bee Pollen with the mousers. BUT, I have found that if you go to Whole Foods in the refrigerated section they have Bee Pollen from local and various suppliers and when opened it smells really fresh, the birds LOVE it, and it is alot less expensive than online.

NOTE: Since it does have such great nutrients it can also act as a stimulus to breeding. When My mousebirds have babies they need the extra protein in their diet for the babies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I also use Bee Pollen! I put it on their cooked foods and in their birdy bread too. I have noticed that they have been a lot healthier since I have been feeding it to them. They love it, especially Sammy and Kiwi.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
About 16 years ago, I was in contact with a woman who was doing a "study" on bee pollen...her birds were the "study group". She had Macaws, Amazon, Tiels, Conures, Too's....what she found interesting was the difference in their attitude/feathering/over all health over a year's time...so impressed with the bee pollen, she started selling it...we lost contact over the years and have no idea of what happened but she was really EXCITED about the results she saw in her bird...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bee Pollen
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.
Taken from:
Herb Mix
[/FONT]

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
I'm excited to read this thread. We have a local bee farmer and I'm sure he will be more than thrilled to sell me bee pollen! Going to look up his number now! :dance5:

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
I have found that if you go to Whole Foods in the refrigerated section they have Bee Pollen from local and various suppliers and when opened it smells really fresh, the birds LOVE it, and it is alot less expensive than online.
Whole foods has bee pollen?! I live right down the road from one...might have to check it out!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I use the Avian Trio bee pollen. It smells really fresh, keep it in the refrigerator. I sprinkle it on fresh foods. As Kathy said, if you read about Avian Trio it is a really good product.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Our Macaws breeder started using bee pollen and shortly after starting noticed an improvement in both digestion and attitude. He was looking forward to seeing the difference in feather conditioning. I have been meaning to get some.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
My BN mousebirds just hatched out a chick this AM, and I just sprinkled a bunch of bee pollen on their fruits, which is a good protein source for feeding chicks. They are going right for the bee pollen :)

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
I use Bee pollen as well for Isis in her daily food. Love it and so does she.

HungryBird

I feed bee pollen as well. I don't actually notice any difference but I figure it can't hurt. Maybe a year from now I will notice something. My parakeets refuse to eat it. I have to soften it up and mix in it with a fresh meal. The cockatiels eat anything I put in their bowls!

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Are humans allowed to eat bee pollen? Well is it good for humans?