• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beans and Bongo

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I'm freaking out a bit as some folks in my budgie group on fb now think beans is a girl. :eek: Do not want eggies!!!

Ok........this is what I know about budgie sexing from those who have way more budgie knowledge than I do......they will be helping me confidently the Henderson's babies in a couple of week as the 4 come to age!!

*** Telling the gender of baby budgies is possible as early as 4 or 5 weeks. Male baby budgies have translucent purpley pink ceres where females tend to have bluish/purplish ceres with a hint of white around the nostrils***

Can you get pics straight on of Beans and Bongo in natural lighting (no flash). To be honest, I was looking more authentic of them and it had me thinking:shocked4: I didn't say anything about my suspicions because I wasn't sure because the lighting in the pics you've post that I've seen haven't been the best lighting. :shrug: Thought my eyes weren't seeing clearly :shocked2: but looking at these pics Beans does look to be a girl and Bongo a boy base on the description above......where these taken in natural lighting? Based on the description above, take a look and your little friends and tell us what you think since you have them in front of you!!

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beaky beans :hehe:

I can't even handle the cuteness of that preen vid..... Then you say they might be opposite genders :rofl::heart: Congrats grandma

:congratualtions:

:peek1:

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Those two are absolutely adorable! I keep checking the Webcam at times where it's offline, so I haven't had a chance to see them in action, it's my goal for the evening!

I really need to invest in a cam for my guys, I'd love to creep on them throughout the day when I'm out.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Ok........this is what I know about budgie sexing from those who have way more budgie knowledge than I do......they will be helping me confidently the Henderson's babies in a couple of week as the 4 come to age!!

*** Telling the gender of baby budgies is possible as early as 4 or 5 weeks. Male baby budgies have translucent purpley pink ceres where females tend to have bluish/purplish ceres with a hint of white around the nostrils***

Can you get pics straight on of Beans and Bongo in natural lighting (no flash). To be honest, I was looking more authentic of them and it had me thinking:shocked4: I didn't say anything about my suspicions because I wasn't sure because the lighting in the pics you've post that I've seen haven't been the best lighting. :shrug: Thought my eyes weren't seeing clearly :shocked2: but looking at these pics Beans does look to be a girl and Bongo a boy base on the description above......where these taken in natural lighting? Based on the description above, take a look and your little friends and tell us what you think since you have them in front of you!!

View attachment 217436
I am a little suspicious too! Lol:facepalm: I tried to get better ones yesterday but only bongo was really cooperating. Will try again when I get them up. This pic of beans is about 6 weeks after the one in the collage. It has gotten more blue but also whiter around the nares.
image.jpeg
And cute little bongo.
image.jpeg
Still thinking he's a boy for sure. I have noticed that beans is the bossy one and bongo is much more vocal. Definitely act differently and I think their head shapes are a bit different.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Those two are absolutely adorable! I keep checking the Webcam at times where it's offline, so I haven't had a chance to see them in action, it's my goal for the evening!

I really need to invest in a cam for my guys, I'd love to creep on them throughout the day when I'm out.
I love having a spy cam:D the cam should be on about 11-9:30 ish pst (California time, lol)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Beaky beans :hehe:

I can't even handle the cuteness of that preen vid..... Then you say they might be opposite genders :rofl::heart: Congrats grandma

:congratualtions:

:peek1:
Lol! I don't wanna be a grandma! Heather is very tolerant, but that might be her limit of things she can put up with from me:lol: not that I would mind a house full of colorful chirping joy magnets:xflove::xflove::xflove:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I think Beans could be a girl too. The picture I posted of Skyler is when she was young. They look like twins, and Skyler ended up being a little lady.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If you end up with a pair you'll just have to invest in a set of dummy eggs. Still it might be too soon to know.
Good to know how to sex baby budgies but not sure how accurate it is. I do see a difference I beak color though.

Checked webcam & seen them seemingly doing a lot of kissing

:wideyed:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
glad
If you end up with a pair you'll just have to invest in a set of dummy eggs. Still it might be too soon to know.
Good to know how to sex baby budgies but not sure how accurate it is. I do see a difference I beak color though.

Checked webcam & seen them seemingly doing a lot of kissing

:wideyed:
glad you can see it now! Definitely ordering some dummy eggs just in case. I thought about having beans DNA sexed when I took him/her in for the initial workup, but figured it didn't really matter. Wasn't like I was going to be returning the little one to petsmart either way, lol. Everything happens for a reason I suppose. As long as they are happy, so am I.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Ladies and Gentlemen.........I think @gibsongrrrl has a LADY & GENTLEMAN!!
does make me twitch a little when I think about it:lol::lol::lol: I was actually a bit worried that might be the case beforehand, but I had really fallen for beans so... :rolleyes:If I'm really really really honest with myself I think I probably just kept showing my budgie group and vet photos until they said boy, lol. their ceres can look so different five minutes after I look at it and in different lights or with different cameras it's been a little nervewracking. :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
looks like Bongo might have his own harem of lady birds to charm, lol.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
does make me twitch a little when I think about it:lol::lol::lol: I was actually a bit worried that might be the case beforehand, but I had really fallen for beans so... :rolleyes:If I'm really really really honest with myself I think I probably just kept showing my budgie group and vet photos until they said boy, lol. their ceres can look so different five minutes after I look at it and in different lights or with different cameras it's been a little nervewracking. :D

Lighting can definitely play tricks on the eyes!!! They will both have their first molt too soon enough and we will all have the answered then!! For now enjoy your babies!!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

Lighting can definitely play tricks on the eyes!!! They will both have their first molt too soon enough and we will all have the answered then!! For now enjoy your babies!!
I really really am. I tell you, I have been a bit sad since mom left and seeing them together just pulled me right out of that funk. Can't tell you how many times a day I see Heather and go "BUDGIES!!!":yahoo::heart: