• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I give him his antibiotic every 12 hours, give or take half an hour. So I do it right before he gets up, and right after he goes to bed. I make sure everything is dark, so he will be willing to step onto my finger, and then I can transfer him to a critter carrier and take him to the bathroom. It's not a perfect method, but it allows me to minimize the stress he's experiencing, minimize how much he hates me, and get the meds in him, which is the most important part.

Once he realizes what's going on, he's not happy. You should have heard him at the vet the other day, they took him in back to do the exam and beak trim, then they brought us into the room. I could hear him yelling out in the waiting area. He doesn't like when hands reach into the carrier, and he hates the vet. He's just an angry little man overall. But he deals with it, I think he knows that it's important. But man, he gives some mean looks. If looks could kill!!

Gonna give dose 5 in a hot minute here.
Good technique you got there! Hope that the meds take care of everything and that Chirp will be 100% soon!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that you've got a technique worked out that minimizes stress. So important when our fids are under the weather because they need those energy stores to fight the illness not to fight us off.

:hug7:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think his beak looks alot better now. Even though you went for another trim, it's staying in shape nicely. That's a good sign! As for the bruising it too will grow out.

I am happy for you and your little Man. :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He sure is cute!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts! I've been telling Chirp that everyone is thinking about him and sending him good thoughts :heart: He's been doing a healthy amount of teasing the dog from the safety of his cage. Also lots of yelling!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yay Chirp! He sounds like he’s being a real trooper through all of this :heart: I am so glad to hear he’s improving!:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that Chirp is doing better.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We saw the vet again yesterday, she says that Chirp's beak is doing really well! A little split did show up, so I have to start the ointment again. And she wants him to stay on the antibiotic for another 2 weeks, but other than that just keep doing what I've been doing!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great to hear!

Has the vet talked to you about probiotics or similar? Antibiotics affect gut flora and clear out the good along with the bad. It's probably not worth putting Chirp on probiotics while still on antibiotics, but perhaps worth looking into after the course has finished.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
This is great news! :bounce7:

You’ve taken such good care of Chirp, he’s a lucky little birb to have you. I’ll keep thinking good healing vibes for a full recovery for your sweet baby :hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It’s wonderful to hear Chirp is doing well, I am so glad he is improving :)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so very happy to hear this news!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
YAY! Chirp!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What great news!:fairy2:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:smileflower: We're so glad to hear this great news too! When Buddy was on antibiotics we gave him both. His dose & used the probiotics as a 2ndary dose. He still felt kind of crummy but w/out the probiotics, I surmise he would have been really really cranky! :kickout:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
He already is. The vet prescribed it to him on the 15th.

The cause of what? The liver issues? It was due to foods that were being fed from WD. If you aren't caught up I'd suggest you read this thread- Vendor Etiquette? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum. The vet agrees with me, as there's a whole mess of things it could be coming from this food. She is reporting them to the FDA and is asking me to keep the food for possible future testing.

At this point we are hopeful but trying to keep a realistic outlook. I know Zupreem isn't the best but it's better than no pellets at all.
Quite a coincidence my bird gotten sick after daily 's ....a bad fungal infection. I'd be hard pressed to know if there is fungal pores in WD's food, stored and processed in a basement... Makes you wonder.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Quite a coincidence my bird gotten sick after daily 's ....a bad fungal infection. I'd be hard pressed to know if there is fungal pores in WD's food, stored and processed in a basement... Makes you wonder.
Yes- it does make me wonder. Chirp's infection is bacterial, he's in the middle of a now-4-week course of anti-biotics. The vet has asked me to keep the food for possible future testing, she was wondering about fungal stuff or possible toxins from the legumes in the sprout mix I fed. Chirp is already doing so much better since he's been back on all pellets, plus the milk thistle and flax oil, and the senior nutriberries.

Does Poppers have liver issues too? I know that Chirp's liver rapidly got from normal to bad, in the 2-month span I was feeding WD. I've found the milk thistle helps a ton, the senior nutriberries have milk thistle as well.