• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Be careful with rope toys :(

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Just wanted to let you guys know i have a cockatiel having surgery done this morning due to a ball of fiber stuck in her crop. From rope toys, picking at carpet and other wooly things

Her fave toys are the ropes as she loves to climb on them and shread them and snuggle against them but their body just cant digest it like wood or paper.
I didnt know about this until i spoke with the avian vet yesterday.
Thank god she said kiwi was healthy and coping but it could have been much worse. Learnt my lesson, feeling horrible for putting her through this soo please be careful and aware of the toys you have as lots of bird toys are actually made of rope which i dont really understand
But anywhoo take care :)

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the warning. How is Kiwi doing after surgery? I hope she has an easy recovery.

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you for asking Karen :) surgery would have started 15 mins ago, ive been told to call within the next hour
I hope it all goes well

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please let us know. My thoughts are with you and Kiwi that all goes well.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Good thoughts coming your way as you wait for news

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all goes well with the surgery.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
good thoughts coming your way

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Hoping for the best outcome! I had to remove and cut down a lot of my rope toys, my cockatiel never digested it or pulled on it but the conures went crazy on it. Now one of them started shredding all the natural toys , the other tries to get to my blankets on the sofa :(

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Thank you guys so much <3 truly appreciate it x

The surgery went well, there was a 3 cm sized ball of fiber in her crop which is quite scary but i get to pick her up tomorrow ☺ i cant wait
Writing down a small list of questions to ask the vet tomorrow, definitely needs to be a change so this doesnt happen again.

Thank you again :)

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm happy all went well. I know you must have been a nervous wreck

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How scary! I'm glad the surgery went well and that she can come home tomorrow.
:hug8:

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
So glad Kiwi is ok. I was told by my vet last week to get rid of all my rope perches, swings and toys. I was surprised as I didn't realise they chew on the perches, I just thought the dangling ends of toys and swings needed to be cut short. She told me she was sick of having to remove the rope (bezoar) surgically....I just wish I realised the perches etc were a risk as I have many, thinking they were superior to dowel (which I don't use) and to mix things up with their natural perches. I have so many of them! Anyway, vet knows best and after hearing of your plight I will be replacing them with natural fibre. Best wishes to Kiwi!

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
So glad Kiwi is ok. I was told by my vet last week to get rid of all my rope perches, swings and toys. I was surprised as I didn't realise they chew on the perches, I just thought the dangling ends of toys and swings needed to be cut short. She told me she was sick of having to remove the rope (bezoar) surgically....I just wish I realised the perches etc were a risk as I have many, thinking they were superior to dowel (which I don't use) and to mix things up with their natural perches. I have so many of them! Anyway, vet knows best and after hearing of your plight I will be replacing them with natural fibre. Best wishes to Kiwi!
Ahh good on you, will be doing the same.
The nurse taking care of kiwi scared me a little. He said tonight is the crucial time, she'll either get better and show signs of healthy recovery or get worse. They're such sensative animals its so upsetting
I hope for the best and that she stays strong over night.
Such a silly mistake on my part wish I noticed ealier.

Thank you guys <3

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
What were the symptoms?

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Started by throwing up clear liquid, so I had her on antibiotics when that started
Stopped for a few days then started again but this time with undigested food and the clear liquid.
Then yesterday, absolutely dry gagging but it was rough. nothing coming out not even food and I can see her trying to push something up thats when I took her in to the avian vet and took a sample of anything shelse threw up. She knew straight away what was going on. As kiwi wasn't sick but obviously effected by something clogged in her crop that food didn't pass through

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so glad your bird will be all right but just wanted to point out that not all birds ingest what they chew on. Not to scare you, but I have heard that this *can* be a symptom of PDD. You tend to see birds ingesting wood more so than rope with PDD though.

It's a very good lesson of know your bird and what he/she does with her toys. I have several birds who love to shred rope perches but I know they don't ingest them. It pays to be very vigil with everything we give them and how they are acting because even though mine don't do it now, doesn't mean they won't always behave in this manner!

I'm so very glad that your bird will be ok!:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad your tiel is okay!