• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Be careful with rope toys :(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am glad she is ok.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So glad surgery went well :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the surgery went well.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
just a suggestion, I use vet wrap around my rope perches, it keeps the little stinkers from nibbling.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
you are welcome

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thank you guys so much <3 truly appreciate it x

The surgery went well, there was a 3 cm sized ball of fiber in her crop which is quite scary but i get to pick her up tomorrow ☺ i cant wait
Writing down a small list of questions to ask the vet tomorrow, definitely needs to be a change so this doesnt happen again.

Thank you again :)
Wow, that sounds huge! How do they take it out, will she have an incision you have to take care of? What were your signs that something was not right? Asking because one of my conures seems obsessed to preen, pull therads on any fabric. I removed toys, trimmed perches but she likes to sit on the sofa and pull on the blankets and pillows. I am glad your birdie made it and hope she will have a speedy recovery.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've posted this before, but there was a FB post some time ago by my vet on this topic. I won't post the pic here because it's graphic, but this is the thread I made with the picture included:

Pictures - Dangers of cloth toys - graphic picture | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

It's crazy how much stuff they can ingest without you realising it. I have some rope perches outside the cage, but they don't chew them at all. Inside is all seagrass and natural branches / platforms. I try to only buy sisal rope now.

Suzy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzanne
Shes back home :) i took a pic while she was preening, you can see the start of the stitch.
Yep so they do a opening on the side of the crop an area where they cant reach or pick at and remove what was there, these stitches will dissolve as the wound heals.
Now that she's home I need to give her antibiotics for 2 weeks, morning and night with a syringe.. Yay! should be fun loll
And also need to make sure she eats to add on weight to around 90g
Shes 78g at the moment

Yes please do be careful with the rope toys or any loose threads. She did tell me that because kiwi is still very young, shes a year and 5 months. That they love to chew everything they can, she said with older birds they don't usually have this problem.

Signs were smaller droppings, as food was being blocked off and not being digested.
Then she started to throw up this clear liquid and undigested food.
It was crazy to see, she would throw up food then run back to the bowl to eat or sometimes throw up in the bowl then try to eat. Food was just completely blocked off and would have eventually starved her to death.

Attachments

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope she heals quickly!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great news that she is home now.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Mine nibble and pull on the vet wrap :(
Sweet Pea does not touch vet wrap, she a good girl. Bebe is still scare of anything on my perches bird.

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Gotta be really careful with those rope toys. Mine love rope so I've had to search out edible rope types. Natural hemp rope tends to be the winner for my birds.

Glad your little girl made it through and is back home with you. Now it's time to spoil her with attention because we know she deserves it after all that!