1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Baby steps: teaching Java to use his foot

Discussion in 'Special Needs Crossing' started by Brittany0208, 12/3/18.

1. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Brittany
    It didn't occur to me until this video that he doesn't have much range in any of his toes. We'll get there though.
    Also, my sister and I swear we saw that back toe move but we aren't sure. He hasn't moved it since I've had him.

2. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Yes, that toe did move a little!!:dance4:

3. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Brittany
    Awesome!!! I hope he'll be able to regain complete function in it someday :dance5:

4. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    :heart::heart::heart: He is adorable

5. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    He was having a grand time and definitely moving that back toe quite a bit. I would keep working all of his toes to help him get the idea and maybe loosen them up and get him used to using them if possible. The house finch we raised got her foot broken by Nerd bird before we realized they weren't safe together and I used to stretch out the damaged toes and she could curl them back up but the tendons tightened up and she just left them in a ball but still got around fine and climbed and walked. His toes are out all the way so maybe working them will help them loosen up and get him moving them again.
    YThey would wrap my broken elbow in nice warm damp towels to loosen up the tendons and muscles before my therapy sessions and it felt great and helped everything move easier. I went from about 30 percent range of motion loss to 3 percent when we were done and I hardly notice it. Might be helpful for him if he'll tolerate it as long as it's not too hot and burns him.

6. Feather

Feather Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Jasmine
    It does look like it moved! :highfive: How exciting! He's such a little champ. :D

Fergus Mom and Brittany0208 like this.
  7. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

That back toe does move a bit :laughing12: Gosh he is such a sweetie pie :heart:

Fergus Mom and Brittany0208 like this.
  8. Brittany0208

Brittany
    It seems he really enjoys playing on his back, so it looks like this will be a daily enrichment session. I'm so proud of him!

Sarahmoluccan, Shezbug and Fergus Mom like this.
  9. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    He did move that toe. I would add some massage to those back toes, gentle manipulation bending them.

10. Brittany0208

Brittany
    I'll give that a shot. Should I try to extend his leg, or would that be doing more harm than good?

11. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    I would stick to the toes and work very slowly. If there is any sign of pain stop. Also ask your vet about it. Kinda like PT for us.

12. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    Gotta love that little face watching those toys intently. So wonderful that he is moving the back toe a bit! You are doing such a great job working with him.

@Dartman ... OWie... I can't imagine a broken elbow. I mean, it hurts so much just knocking the elbow up against something!

13. Teckechick

Teckechick Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one! Celebirdy of the Month I SMELL!

Dawn
    :dance5:You go Java that foot movement is looking good!!

Shezbug and Brittany0208 like this.
  14. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Well actually I shattered the radial head in about 3 chunks and the ulna had about 3 cracks in it. They go into the upper arm elbow socket area I think and the two lower bones pivot and twist in that socket area so my range of motion was damaged. I remember when I woke up I was leaning on the broken arms elbow and didn't have a clue it was broken for a day and a half till I told them it hurt a bit to move it and they took a x-ray. If I moved it wrong it reminded me real fast. It took 4 months to get stable and more then likely the radial head pieces never fused together but everything works fine now and usually doesn't bother me. The therapy ladies worked hard with me and that's why my arm is back to almost normal so I know a bit about damaged joints and what can be done. That was in May of 2009 and I do the same work today with no restrictions. I'm sure I've posted more about it here if you want to search for it.

Brittany0208 likes this.
  15. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Sooo cute... your a wonderful parront! :)

Sarahmoluccan and Brittany0208 like this.
  16. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Sarah
    I love seeing how you're working with him. He's a such a sweetie and you're truly a wonderful parront!! :heart:
    :hug8:

Dartman and Brittany0208 like this.
  17. Linearis

Linearis Walking the driveway

What a beautiful bird, he's lucky to have you playing with him. Thanks for giving him a good life.

Sarahmoluccan and Brittany0208 like this.
  18. Brittany0208

Brittany
    Thank you :heart:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)