• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Baby steps: teaching Java to use his foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Oh wow... Poor Java,:sad8: So glad you rescued him and are giving him a loving and caring home!:heart:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow... Poor Java,:sad8: So glad you rescued him and are giving him a loving and caring home!:heart:
Thank you. He's a joy to have. I hate to wonder where he would have ended up if I didn't see his posting online. Maybe another breeding program or worse . . . the breeder I got him from told me that several people asked about him over the months but no one was serious. I don't regret a moment of having him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some physical therapy will really help. I was reading some scientific material and the author was talking about muscle memory. It is being discovered that muscles, no matter how bad the atrophy will remember what they are supposed to do,

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some physical therapy will really help.
What would you recommend? I handle him at least once a day to check his foot, put him on his cushion, trim his nails or apply medicine. I try to encourage him to play when he's on his cushion but he typically just hunkers down and rests or preens, so I'm assuming he doesn't want to play. I put a few toys on the cushion with him but he ignores them for the most part.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a friend that got a conure whose leg was broken early on and the breeder did nothing to address the leg. The bird could not stand. Bird was taken to a great hospital by my friend to have a vet check. It was still in the process of healing but no surgery could be done because of the angle of the break. Vet told my friend to move the leg and joints in their range of motion a few times a day. In 6 months the bird was flying and landing on a perch. Quite amazing. I would ask you vet first before attempting physical therapy because you don't want to hurt him.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a friend that got a conure whose leg was broken early on and the breeder did nothing to address the leg. The bird could not stand. Bird was taken to a great hospital by my friend to have a vet check. It was still in the process of healing but no surgery could be done because of the angle of the break. Vet told my friend to move the leg and joints in their range of motion a few times a day. In 6 months the bird was flying and landing on a perch. Quite amazing. I would ask you vet first before attempting physical therapy because you don't want to hurt him.
Sounds like a great idea! But I am going to schedule Java an appointment before I start contorting his leg with no idea what I'm doing. When he had his X-ray, Dr. Dixon was surprised that his leg bone hadn't been broken. When I asked about possible range of motion, he said he could regain motion at some point or maybe not, but he was really surprised that he was able to close his foot at all. So, that gives me hope. I'm hoping he'll take to his prosthetic and it'll help.

Status
Not open for further replies.