1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by Mermaid Queen, 1/8/19.

1. Mermaid Queen

Mermaid Queen Meeting neighbors

I have a 5 week old baby cockatiel the size of a 7 day old! Took him to the vet today and the vet said he wouldn’t make it and was unlikely to grow anymore...has anyone got any similar situations or thoughts? I’m giving him a bit more time just to be sure! Thanks heaps

Attached Files:

2. Revali

Revali Walking the driveway

:sad4: Bumperino...

Mermaid Queen likes this.
  3. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Deanna
    Aw, I don’t have any advice, but he’s so cute!:heart:I hope that he will make it even though he’s such a late bloomer...:(
    @Birdbabe ?

4. janicedyh

janicedyh Rollerblading along the road

Janice
    I'm bumping this up again. Anyone?

Mermaid Queen likes this.
  5. Jas

Jas Rollerblading along the road

Jasmine
    Maybe some kind of infection that makes it difficult to absorb food Like Agy?

Not getting enough food? Or the right amount? Or even the right quality?

Shezbug, Mermaid Queen and Ripshod like this.
  6. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    That has to be malnutrition.
    As already suggested, the wrong food or not enough. Could do with a pic from the front showing the crop after feeding.
    What feed are you using? Also is he warm enough, and not burning calories just to stay warm?
    Let's see if we can turn this into a success.

7. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
  8. janicedyh

Janice
    Keep us updated, my heart goes out to the little guy. I hope theres a way to help him thrive

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Hope things will turn around for the little guy and he will thrive and survive.
    Scully and Mulder hatched the same day but Scully looked about 1/2 the size of Mulder. . I wound up pulling them at 4 weeks and Scully did start to catch up. However his development was not as far behind as your little one. Sending positive thoughts for the baby.

10. tka

tka Rollerblading along the road

I'm not convinced it's simply malnutrition - the head looks like an odd shape. Apparently birds can have hydrocephalus, and I wonder if that's one of the things that's going on with this little one.

I hope you can find a way to help him/her thrive.

11. janicedyh

Janice
    I was noticing that as well but don't have experience with them at that stage. I'm hoping someone will chime in that has a ton of experience and advise on care

12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Large head which is disproportionate to the rest of the body can be a sign of malnourishment.

Shezbug, Hankmacaw, Bokkapooh and 5 others like this.
  13. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Please tell us what you have been feeding or is baby parent fed?

14. Mermaid Queen

As this is my very first post I have to learn how to reply to everyone, as a general reply .. I live in Australia and am feeding him a product called Neocare every 4 hours! He has 1 sibling who is thriving thanks

15. Feather

Feather Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

You can reply to individuals by clicking "Quote" under their post. They'll get a notification about it and see that you responded.

16. AviMom

AviMom Sprinting down the street

If that is the most current photo of the baby at 5 weeks old, it is malformed, and may not survive much longer. I'm surprised he's lasted this long. It's head is large and looks like it's got large protrusions behind the wings maybe kidneys....?
    I would say try to find or order Exact high fat baby food, but there could be multiple reasons he's not growing or gaining weight. I'd almost bet it's a problem with his pituitary gland.
    At this point, I'd continue to feed him, keep him very warm, love him bunches, and pray for him. Miracles do happen.

17. Sylvester

Sylvester Hit the Road

Poor little guy. I agree with Darklotus, just give him plenty of love.

18. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Hes a "runt" give him heat, warm yummy feedings when his crop empties, make sure the poops are normal. I have a tiel who I helped hatch, he was stuck to the eggshell,I removed him with a moist Qtip.. his " belly button " wasnt healed, he had poo inside his egg..he was soooo tiny, no fuzz.. I couldn't even count his toes, he wasnt supposed to live, but hes now 15 years old. Hes blind, has no tail, one wing, and crooked feet,,but hes alive, happy and spoiled rotten! And has a girlfriend, :hug8:Miracles do happen!

parrotluv, Shezbug, Tara81 and 12 others like this.
  19. janicedyh

Janice
    Update?

Shezbug and Sylvester like this.
  20. Mermaid Queen

Thank you everyone! He is still alive is very alert eats and poops well but has only just put on 2 grams and sprouted some tiny feathers around his beak! That’s it! Still the size of a 7 day old..not really growing, for the time being We are keeping him warm and well loved ♥️ We will see!! @Birdbabe so beautiful and thank you xxx

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)