1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Discussion in 'Cockatiel Corner' started by Mermaid Queen, 1/8/19.

1. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    baby-bird-crop- jpg.JPG baby-bird-crop-full-of-food jpg.JPG

2. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Ripping up the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mercedez
    I think she meant every 3-4 hours as that is what was said in an earlier post. Every 45 minutes would be a bit often.

But for a baby of this size, every 3-4 hours is not frequent enough. I used to handfeed day old budgies and my tiels on occasion and we would feed every 1.5 hours until they had pin feathers. Then it was moved to every 3 hours or so, or whenever the crop was 1/4 full and the babies began to cry again.

3. Mermaid Queen

Mermaid Queen Meeting neighbors

Yes he is fed every 3 or 4 hours his crop empties every time just a tiny bit left before we feed him again! Still kicking on

4. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road

Suzanne
    Yay ! Way to go Ivar. Keep going.
    :cloud9::marlenesmile:

5. janicedyh

janicedyh Rollerblading along the road

Janice
    I think we need an update picture

6. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sending more positive thoughts for Ivar!

7. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
  8. Mermaid Queen

I’m not sure if it’s coincidence but he gained 2 more grams yesterday/ last night as his weight hasn’t changed ..and I did thicken his formula slightly! His Crest feathers are growing and he is growing more feathers on one wing so that’s a positive! I’ve been told he is still developing! Which is a good thing.. we keep him in this little container sometimes because of his splayed legs! I’ll get more photos later today! Here he is also preening himself in one of these photos!! :) 9E8C504D-E5DB-47B7-8FB6-41780520707C.jpeg 08985144-B4D8-467F-B64A-1E40236B2958.jpeg 8E21FFF8-0A53-4004-9E85-115C48FC50C1.jpeg

9. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Hes a fighter! Soooo cute!

10. janicedyh

Janice
    Thank you so much for the pics. He/she is certainly a miracle baby. One reason this is so foreign and hard to find info on is probably because this baby would have just died from lack of care either by parents or humans. He is alive because of your care...thank you for that. He looks happy and albeit slowly beginning to thrive. Trying to preen is a good sign...at least in my opinion. who knows...this little warrior could surprise everyone and be one for the textbooks.

11. janicedyh

Janice
    In that second pic it almost looks like he is smiling. Definitely some personality coming through. Just wonder whats going through that little mind

12. Mermaid Queen

Sometimes he is so alert! It’s so cute big black eyes!! Haha! If he survives he will definitely be a miracle baby ... thank you for all your love and support it really is helping! He is a real fighter, He is 7 weeks old on Friday :)

13. janicedyh

Janice
    Just keep feeding us pictures. We do get emotionally invested in these little ones from afar

14. Mermaid Queen

And yes I’ve found it very hard and found very little info about this on line x

parrotlover101 and Shezbug like this.
  15. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

It's great that he is developing even though it is very slow. Cute little guy.

16. Mermaid Queen

Like a tiny miracle Ivar put on another 2 grams over night! That’s 5 grams since I’ve thickened his formula a little ( I’m guessing) in the last 2 days , because his weight has been stable for the last 4 weeks at 21-22 grams, he is now 27 grams :) he also has started sprouting teeny little feathers on his chest! That I can see..(if you look closely) ..
    He’s starting to get a little dirty I’m trying to wipe ( with a warm wet tissue) bits of the poop off but I don’t want to wet him to much incase he gets cold!! Should I just not worry to much about it for the time being?

Attached Files:

17. janicedyh

Janice
    In my opinion its a good hygiene practice and bacteria might grow in the crusty food. I'm not experienced with feeding baby birds so take that with a grain of salt. Lets see what our resident experts say. Ivar looks bigger and healthier to me. When do you take her/he back to the vet?

18. iamwhoiam

I used cotton balls moistened with warm water and would gently clean my baby birds. You don't want the poop or any food from hand feeding to harden.

19. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

I'm really rooting for this little guy! You're doing a phenomenal job! :heart::hug8:

20. Tara81

Tara81 Rollerblading along the road

Tara
    I hope he makes it ! Thank you for giving him a chance ! =D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)