• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Baby crow in my yard

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Im going to start putting some kind of food on the grass. Just dont know what yet. :chin:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It does sound like you're having fun. I'd also love an opportunity to watch (and help) a baby crow survive, like you're doing. Of course the chances of something bad happening would worry me to death!

I wonder what crows do eat (besides our trash)?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks I'll check those links out. This evening while I was watering the grass by hand (had to turn off sprinklers because he is on the grass), he went up to that post he was sitting on in the last pic. Anyway, he was jumping off and flapping a few feet, then he would find his way back to the post and do it again! It was so funny, he was having so much fun :roflmao:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Today I switched his food to puppy chow. I saw in another thread that a breeder uses that so that's what I got to try. I know it's not top quality but I'm hoping he won't be here much longer anyway and if a breeder uses it, it can't be to bad right? I put apple juice and water in the kibble to make it mushy and am still using the syringe. So far the feeding have been farther appart, so that's a plus! Anyway, he jumps out of the baby gate I contained him in on the grass so he spent most of the day playing on the railroad ties. Then when it cooled down he went to his fav post and practiced flying again.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:heart:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
What a dear, he's really giving you an education. Love flight training.
Have the parents been back at all lately or is he totally on his own now (except for his adoptive Mom of course)?

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
That video is so cute. It's so neat that you are able to witness this and to help him. I'm jealous!

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Aww! He is learning to fly! You are doing such a wonderful job with him! :joyful: :xflove:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What a dear, he's really giving you an education. Love flight training.
Have the parents been back at all lately or is he totally on his own now (except for his adoptive Mom of course)?
Thanks everyone :)
The parents are both still up in the trees watching and crowing. They don't get as mad at me as they use to, but they still don't like me close to him. I threw some old toast, crackers and dry puppy chow in the street for them. I gave Vader a misting today, he was trying to hop away, but he got pretty wet. I'm use to misting a grey and the water just rolls off, but Vader soaked it all in. Dang, I should have taken a picture :banghead:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
This is such a cute thread and baby :heart: For foraging you might try meal worms. We gave those to a baby crow we had in the clinic. Loved them. Had to feed them to him at first, but he loved eating them pretty soon. Maybe the movement will trigger a response for him to try and eat on his own.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like the parents have decided that he is no longer their responsibility. He's your guys' baby now. <3

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
What did you wash it with?
KimKim, Sister said it was mite spray she got at Petco years ago and of course was bird safe. I remember it said not to spray directly in their eyes or face but nobody got sick and all the bugs bailed off and died. I don't think we have the bottle anymore and even if we do it's probably buried in a box somewhere after our move a few years ago as we are still slowly going through boxes of non important stuff as we feel like it and have time.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I went out to water the grass and feed him this evening, he was on the fence, then the neighbors car, then the neighbors roof. (Excuse her mess :wtf:). Mom and dad are in the tree and on the wires watching him. He kept flying from neighbors roof to mine, And now he is going to spend the night on my chimney (no pics on my roof). I'm guessing he will be crowing early tomorrow because he hasn't eating since around 5pm. Unless his parents help him out.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww! Soon, he'll be off in the world. I wonder if his parents will care for her?

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Aww! Soon, he'll be off in the world. I wonder if his parents will care for her?
They seem to be happy, but I didn't see them get any closer to the baby than that pic. I'll find out in the morning if he's begging for food. I'm also assuming that second baby didn't make it :(, I haven't seen it with the parents... Unless it's on the ground somewhere still.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've done a great job w/ Mr. Crow.