• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

avitec heating panels

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I used the chain it comes with and I got a 2 sided hook from Home Depot and just let it hang off the back of Gracie's cage. Keith thought it was going to make cooked lovebird for some weird reason.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They also come with brackets that hang on the cage. Babalu likes to chew on his so I had to set his back away from the side of his cage.
F7A11E39-1294-4B69-8820-08DE9E116D35.jpeg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
They also come with brackets that hang on the cage. Babalu likes to chew on his so I had to set his back away from the side of his cage.
View attachment 305054
Not right now they don't.

They're working on recreating the wheel.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Well that is a cool thing but mine didn't come like that :( I had to jimmy rig mine so it would stay put and she wouldn't get over heated because my husband swears it's going to cook her.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Winter time my house at night goes to 66F and 70F with central heating. Tinker is fine with that and sleeps like a baby.

What parrots need a 100F heating pad? Don't the nights get cool in those climes during their winter months. A friend of mine says the Congo gets darn right cool at night at times.

So my question why do we need heating pads?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hung it on the wall with supplied hardware and push the cage close. I off gassed it for 72 hours but close up it still smells and Jackson doesn’t like it.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My plans are to 'hide' a small one behind a Cozy Corner. Farlie loves that thing. To add heat to it would be great, IMO.

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Winter time my house at night goes to 66F and 70F with central heating. Tinker is fine with that and sleeps like a baby.

What parrots need a 100F heating pad? Don't the nights get cool in those climes during their winter months. A friend of mine says the Congo gets darn right cool at night at times.

I had questions too like if one would be needed in Florida?

melissa68

Walking the driveway
Just an update; I asked if one was needed in FL and I never got around to getting one because Henry is just a babe but now I will be moving to NH :crycry: and figured he's going to need one.

My hubs and I have never been one for higher heat in the winter, we would keep it around 66...yes, I know we'll have to keep it warmer with Henry. Anyway, I ordered a large K&H one from Amazon and put it in his cage while we are still here in FL. He actually sleeps next to it 90% of the time. So I'm guessing most birds, even young healthy birds, would like some form of heat. A few mornings I uncover his cage and he won't be next to it. His choice :)

Is emailing someone the only way to get one of those larger panels? Do you guys have a breakdown on the price? TIA.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Bump

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt

I was in a parrot fb group and this girl was complaining that her bf kept the house at 65 and she was worried about her quaker. Everyone was telling her to dump her bf or get a space heater for the quaker. Meanwhile people from south america were trying to explain that these birds live outside in freezing temperatures in their wild habitats but no one was listening.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
these birds live outside in freezing temperatures in their wild habitats but no one was listening.
But I suppose those birds are much more active in their natural habitat, they have to beware of predators, and find food, so they don't sit all day long like our caged birds do.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
But I suppose those birds are much more active in their natural habitat, they have to beware of predators, and find food, so they don't sit all day long like our caged birds do.
That means that they are expending more energy.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
As long as birds have proper nutrition they can handle cold, and even freezing temperatures.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I've always thought the concern lie more with rapid temperature changes than the actual temperature. Traveling constantly, as we do, having gone from Southern California to North Carolina and back, through two hurricanes and torrential rain, suffering through a heat wave for over a week where temperatures were 112-120 every day, being completely without air conditioning, having to use a portable propane heater in a 25' RV where any where the bird can be is by a window, door, stove or all of the above, and spending the majority of the time in the desert where temperatures can fluctuate from the hundreds during the day to close to freezing at night, I've got to say, I've done my share of being worried sick about TD and the temperature.

One of the times I was most worried was this July when we had to stay at the repair shop and they kept the temperature at about 69 degrees Fahrenheit in the lobby all day. At 5 they would push our RV out into the parking lot then close up shop. The outside temperature at 5 would be over 100. Hardest transition for TD ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think a lot of it has to do with what your bird is acclimated to. I used to fret like crazy over keeping the temperature between 75-85. Always. Impossible. But you can keep it from changing over ten degrees in an hour. You usually can keep from going from a frying pan into a freezer. I also think that those guidelines are what would be ideal... and in a perfect world. I know from first hand experience that TD is a lot more resilient than I, or the books, give him credit for!

Not that I won't still worry myself sick over TD for the rest of his life!

He does have an electric heated perch that he loves. Sadly, I can't find one that is a 12 Volt or solar powered. I would like to get one of these panels when we get settled in Tennessee this spring at the RV park near my Mom's. Has anyone ever tried putting one beneath the grate of the cage as heat rises? To keep TD cool when we aren't hooked up and don't want to run the generator all day, I keep ice over his cage.

Last edited: