• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are there any powder coat cages that don't...suck....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Now if only they would make an aluminum cage 8 ft by three feet, I could upgrade Nani's cage! lol They really need to expand on those sizes...don't even think they have the size I have for Apollo and Chopper...those are the three cages I would eventually upgrade as I will have these three birds the longest.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
You need to be careful about SS cages too because not all of them are guaranteed not to rust either! I think several members had their SS cages rusting!

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Oh wow, Mango is actually sorta close to me (Smithfield, RI) .

Their cages are sort of small, though. The largest "Cockatoo" sized cage is only 34"x24". Not really an option for me, imho.

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Now if only they would make an aluminum cage 8 ft by three feet, I could upgrade Nani's cage! lol They really need to expand on those sizes...don't even think they have the size I have for Apollo and Chopper...those are the three cages I would eventually upgrade as I will have these three birds the longest.
I agree. That and replace the silly feeder door closing mechanism. Those just seem designed to break after a few years.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe Bennet makes Aluminum cages in that size, and bigger ... are you ready to put a second mortgage on your house though??

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Bennet cages are rediculously priced. :( I wonder if Kings has aspirations for making larger aluminum cages? I agree Matt, that is the size I am getting my Quaker!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
You need to be careful about SS cages too because not all of them are guaranteed not to rust either! I think several members had their SS cages rusting!
This is why I wouldnt spend money on a SS cage unless I did TONS of homework!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Ugh! I just went through all this angst finding a cage for Mali. I wanted Kings' aluminum first, but they don't make them big enough. Then I thought about SS, but it would be like $3k (or more, depending on the maker)! With all I already paid for toys, necessities, HER, etc. there's no way I'm going to drop 3k on a cage right now. Maybe in the future, but it's not an option right now.

So then I started looking at all the powder coat cages, and found lots of negative reviews, and some good reviews. I decided on A&E, because I did read quite a few good reviews. Also, Kathie carries them, and I feel good about buying from her. And I could get a HUGE (macaw sized) cage for Mali for a fraction of the cost of SS.

My cage should be here today (coming freight), so I'll let you all know how it is when it arrives.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Good luck Kacy..hope it arrives damage free! Cant wait to see it. Whatever the outcome though Kathie will make sure you are taken care of!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Good luck Kacy..hope it arrives damage free! Cant wait to see it. Whatever the outcome though Kathie will make sure you are taken care of!
I'm actually going to call the freight company right now to see what's going on with delivery. :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I cant see ever paying the money they want for SS when I have seen to many people complain about them rusting. What the heck do you pay that much money for something that still rusts. I would rather spend a lot less and get a much bigger cage. For the price they want for SS in the size I have I can buy several powder coated ones.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Bennet cages are rediculously priced. :( I wonder if Kings has aspirations for making larger aluminum cages? I agree Matt, that is the size I am getting my Quaker!
They do not, at least as of a month or two ago.

I cant see ever paying the money they want for SS when I have seen to many people complain about them rusting. What the heck do you pay that much money for something that still rusts. I would rather spend a lot less and get a much bigger cage. For the price they want for SS in the size I have I can buy several powder coated ones.
That's why, like Pat said, you really have to do your homework. I'm confident that mine won't be rusting :)

Lahdeedahdee

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yeah...I agree. I was in the market for a SS for quite a while. I definitely didn't want to spend $3,000-$5,000. I ended up purchasing a HQ double macaw 64x32 for $500 and called it a day! I'm surprised at how happy I am with it. It cleans well and I took the manzanita perch from Jumanji's old cage and bolted it two pieces of acrylic for a playtop. I have a real good feeling about this cage. I can't see it rusting anytime soon--but I could be wrong. Jumanji had his other cage for 11 years which was a Prevue Signature with the spiral ladder playtop. The only thing that is rusted on that powder coated cage are the trays. There isn't a spec of rust anywhere else.

I am the complete opposite of a hoarder. I throw away things quick. However, this cage is in such good condition (other than the rusted trays which can't be replaced) and I can't seem to throw it out but I don't know what to do with it either, yet it is driving me up the wall that there is something sitting in my house that is of no use.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do with this cage to make it functional?

Last edited:

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Grapefruit's cage is 32x23 with an interior height of 48 inches and it's a good size for her. If she were in there often, it would need to be much bigger, but we are a mostly cage-free household. She sleeps in there and occasionally is locked in if I am leaving, vacuuming, cooking, etc. It runs $360 (from Kathie).

By contrast Darwin's cage is 34x23 with an inside height of 32 inches. His cage "feels" bigger and has more open space for toys and perches, but this is design more then dimensions. New this cage runs around $500-600 (would never pay that for it though!) Again, too much time inside there and it would need to be bigger, but he can hop around, hang upside down, open his wings, and there is room for 6 or so perches, 3 or 4 toys, and him. He also will be a mostly-out-of-cage bird in time. Otherwise, I'd buy bigger.

That having been said - I'm wondering if you guys think the Kings aluminum 32x25x32 (closer to Darwin's size, of course) is big enough for medium parrots such as small cockatoos, grays, smaller ekkies, larger conures, mini macaws, amazons, etc. If not, what size?

EXCELLENT point about my having said I could get a China produced SS for the price of an American made powder coat - it's the sad ugly truth. Our wallets do talk. It's all the reason for all of us, together and collectively, not to buy those crappy cages to force them to make us something better and instead support our US companies that make better (most expensive) products. But not everyone can afford to do that - and most cages sold are done so by pet stores - especially the large chains. And we all none of them are hoping on the quality control band wagon! i guess it becomes a personal choice about what you believe in or stand for, what you can afford, and what's best for your parrot.

quakingcanopy

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Yeah...I agree. I was in the market for a SS for quite a while. I definitely didn't want to spend $3,000-$5,000. I ended up purchasing a HQ double macaw 64x32 for $500 and called it a day! I'm surprised at how happy I am with it. It cleans well and I took the manzanita perch from Jumanji's old cage and bolted it two pieces of acrylic for a playtop. I have a real good feeling about this cage. I can't see it rusting anytime soon--but I could be wrong. Jumanji had his other cage for 11 years which was a Prevue Signature with the spiral ladder playtop. The only thing that is rusted on that powder coated cage are the trays. There isn't a spec of rust anywhere else.

I am the complete opposite of a hoarder. I throw away things quick. However, this cage is in such good condition (other than the rusted trays which can't be replaced) and I can't seem to throw it out but I don't know what to do with it either, yet it is driving me up the wall that there is something sitting in my house that is of no use.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do with this cage to make it functional?
Donate to a good (GOOD) rescue (do your research and check out reputation before donating). I donated to one that I later found out are awful and I wish I hadn't :( But they can always use the cage.

Or...ya know...contact some rescues and fill that cage with a needy foster who needs some TLC :lol:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I dont think all SS cages are created equal and there are different grades of SS that is used. To fork out that kind of money I would be furious if it rusted. I think aluminum is the way of the future. Why do you think Kings wouldnt be making larger aluminum? They obviously name their price.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Personally it does not bother me if the tray on the bottom rusts. I cover it with paper and my birds never ever touch it. I would donate it to your local rescue if you are not looking to get any money for it. I am sure they would appreciate it

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I dont think all SS cages are created equal and there are different grades of SS that is used. To fork out that kind of money I would be furious if it rusted. I think aluminum is the way of the future. Why do you think Kings wouldnt be making larger aluminum? They obviously name their price.
Maybe if enough people requested that they make large ones they would

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Grapefruit's cage is 32x23 with an interior height of 48 inches and it's a good size for her. If she were in there often, it would need to be much bigger, but we are a mostly cage-free household. She sleeps in there and occasionally is locked in if I am leaving, vacuuming, cooking, etc. It runs $360 (from Kathie).

By contrast Darwin's cage is 34x23 with an inside height of 32 inches. His cage "feels" bigger and has more open space for toys and perches, but this is design more then dimensions. New this cage runs around $500-600 (would never pay that for it though!) Again, too much time inside there and it would need to be bigger, but he can hop around, hang upside down, open his wings, and there is room for 6 or so perches, 3 or 4 toys, and him. He also will be a mostly-out-of-cage bird in time. Otherwise, I'd buy bigger.

That having been said - I'm wondering if you guys think the Kings aluminum 32x25x32 (closer to Darwin's size, of course) is big enough for medium parrots such as small cockatoos, grays, smaller ekkies, larger conures, mini macaws, amazons, etc. If not, what size?

EXCELLENT point about my having said I could get a China produced SS for the price of an American made powder coat - it's the sad ugly truth. Our wallets do talk. It's all the reason for all of us, together and collectively, not to buy those crappy cages to force them to make us something better and instead support our US companies that make better (most expensive) products. But not everyone can afford to do that - and most cages sold are done so by pet stores - especially the large chains. And we all none of them are hoping on the quality control band wagon! i guess it becomes a personal choice about what you believe in or stand for, what you can afford, and what's best for your parrot.
Personally, I feel that 33 x 25" is small for that size bird, but if he is currently in a comparably sized cage and seems comfortable in it, plus as you said he doesn't spend much time in there so it is really more of a night cage-- I think it could work. I have that cage for Lola and she is a tiny bit smaller (350-360 grams) than the species you mentioned, and I use it as her temporary cage when I am visiting relatives. (It works especially well for this purpose because it is SO lightweight!)

I say it often and I truly believe it: we vote with our dollars. I know that I am very lucky and blessed to be able to make the decision to go with American-made stainless steel cages but as far as I am able to do so I will continue to. I would rather save for several months or even years to get the cage I really feel is worth spending money on over getting a quick fix now. Having purchased a horribly crappy China-made powder-coated cage for Charles last year, I now know that I will never be letting my money go towards any more of the China-based companies unless they start putting out better products. It's taking me a while but I am saving up for the cage that he deserves. I don't like the thought of my indirectly telling those companies, "Good job-- keep doing what you're doing" by supporting them and buying their cages.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Maybe if enough people requested that they make large ones they would
I've asked and requested. They don't feel aluminum is strong enough for larger beaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.