• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Ok
I found this posted in another thread about it
and its quoted from Srtiels(Susanne)

The bottom half is hers, she was quoting some one in the original thread
The vinegar helps to acidify the digestive system in the birds and controls the overgrowth of yeast and other undesirable organisms.
-----------------------------------------------------

It is a dual edge sword and is something that should be given short term only, to an immediate existing problem. The problem is that it does raise the PH levels in the body, which in turn can affect muscles and peristalitic action in the digestive tract. Probiotics then must to be used to correct the PH level so that the use of ACV does not cause an imbalance of the intestinal flora.
The original Thread
http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/333-apple-cider-vinegar.html

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Marian GSE is short for Grape Seed Extract
This is incorrect. It is Grapefruit Seed Extract. Big difference.

The ACV may lower the good bacteria in the gut but you are using it to fight an infection/yeast whatever. Once that is taken care of you can counteract it with some probiotic. It's more important to take care of the problem first.

It should only be given as therapy for about 2 weeks at the most every 6 months as mentioned.

I put one tablespoon in a quart of water.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I use the normal store bought kind - never have had a problem with it,
If it's not raw unfiltered it doesn't have any of the beneficial stuff in it. It's just vinegar.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

If it's not raw unfiltered it doesn't have any of the beneficial stuff in it. It's just vinegar.

well then just vinegar will make a tumor go away because that is the only thing I gave her other then her normal food and it started decreasing in size within the 1st week of giving it to her. and it has kept it gone for going on 4 years.

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
well then just vinegar will make a tumor go away because that is the only thing I gave her other then her normal food and it started decreasing in size within the 1st week of giving it to her. and it has kept it gone for going on 4 years.
Yoshi, my GCC, got sick earlier this year and I used just the regular store ACV as well and it helped her tremendiously so something in there must be helping them! :)

carlsjr

Meeting neighbors
I don't use ACV regularly for my birds, but I wash my feet with it to prevent / control fungus, since I'm not 100% off steriods (just get a small trace in my Advair disk) yet and a tendency towards fungus is a side effect of steroid use. I get gallons of pasturized ACV and pour a little bit of organic ACV (Bragg, with the mother) in, and the mother starts to grow in the gallon. For me, this is a cheaper and more convenient than than shopping for organic vinegar as often.

what does this mean?

"pour a little bit of organic ACV (Bragg, with the mother) in, and the mother starts to grow in the gallon."

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
Apple Cider Vinegar - What You Need to Know About Apple Cider Vinegar

The, "mother" is the active bacteria - yeast that is removed from most "grocery store" ACV by pasteurizing and filtering the vinegar. It is considered to be healthily ( I won't use the term medically) beneficial, however it appears as a cloudy blob in the liquid and creates a powdery sediment. As the mother is alive, if you put some "live" vinegar into pasteurized, filtered, "clean" store grade vinegar, it will become, "live" again. "Braggs" is one of the better known brand names of organic, or "live" vinegar. ACV is also used in food seasonings, such as salid dressing and the different brands taste slightly different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.