• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Apple cider vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much Apple cider vinegar do I put in his water and how many times per week? I went to the health food store for some.:hug8::hug8:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Great question Marian! I was wondering the same thing as to what to do on a regular basis with my birdies so they don't get any more yeast infections... :highfive:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tiffany I just ran to the health store for acv....so curious.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I use the normal store bought kind - never have had a problem with it, and it DID get rid of a tumor on my parakeet she had it 3 years ago and has NEVER had it since

I just put a drop or 2 (depending on the size of the water dish I use 5 and 10 oz dishes) in their water and give it to them once a month

When she had a tumor I started with every week as the tumor went away I decreased it to every 2 weeks then to just monthly

But I've been reading where AVC(even the one with the "mother" in it) is not good for them that it shouldn't be given to them so Now i'm re-thinking giving it to them at all

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I use the normal store bought kind - never have had a problem with it, and it DID get rid of a tumor on my parakeet she had it 3 years ago and has NEVER had it since

I just put a drop or 2 (depending on the size of the water dish I use 5 and 10 oz dishes) in their water and give it to them once a month

When she had a tumor I started with every week as the tumor went away I decreased it to every 2 weeks then to just monthly

But I've been reading where AVC(even the one with the "mother" in it) is not good for them that it shouldn't be given to them so Now i'm re-thinking giving it to them at all
Where did you read that? I'd be interested in hearing more. As far as I know, ACV is supposed to be all natural. You should probably only give it once every six months for about two weeks in the water...that's what I remember reading.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Where did you read that? I'd be interested in hearing more. As far as I know, ACV is supposed to be all natural. You should probably only give it once every six months for about two weeks in the water...that's what I remember reading.

it was here on the forum. I'll have to search to find it again

but I know I've read here and other places that it removes ALL bacteria from the birds, the good and the bad

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
it was here on the forum. I'll have to search to find it again

but I know I've read here and other places that it removes ALL bacteria from the birds, the good and the bad
Ahhhh! That's GSE, not ACV. ACV leaves the good bacteria. Anything else you can remember or was it just the gut bacteria thing?

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whats GSE?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
maybe I am getting the 2 mixed up I can't find it now or it wasn't on here and some where else I was reading, I'll keep looking though

Marian GSE is short for Grape Seed Extract

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
eight drops of acv per four ounces of water

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I remember reading something about it also. I read it recently but I be darned if I can remember much more than it alters or removes something that is needed.

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
I don't use ACV regularly for my birds, but I wash my feet with it to prevent / control fungus, since I'm not 100% off steriods (just get a small trace in my Advair disk) yet and a tendency towards fungus is a side effect of steroid use. I get gallons of pasturized ACV and pour a little bit of organic ACV (Bragg, with the mother) in, and the mother starts to grow in the gallon. For me, this is a cheaper and more convenient than than shopping for organic vinegar as often.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

I remember reading something about it also. I read it recently but I be darned if I can remember much more than it alters or removes something that is needed.
I think you guys are mixing up ACV and GSE but that's just a guess. ACV doesn't harm good gut bacteria, it's actually really great for digestion and helping with the reduction of yeast from sugars that can cause irregularity in the gut.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get gallons of pasturized ACV and pour a little bit of organic ACV (Bragg, with the mother) in, and the mother starts to grow in the gallon. For me, this is a cheaper and more convenient than than shopping for organic vinegar as often.
Nice tip, thanks for sharing.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you guys are mixing up ACV and GSE but that's just a guess. ACV doesn't harm good gut bacteria, it's actually really great for digestion and helping with the reduction of yeast from sugars that can cause irregularity in the gut.
No, what I read was about ACV.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
ACV does not affect good gut bacteria, but does affect bad gut bacteria:

Living Paleo - Probiotics/Good Bacteria Part 2

GSE is a natural antibiotic that cannot tell the difference and will go after both good and bad gut bacteria which is not what you want and which is why it's a bad idea to ingest GSE.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I put 3-4 drops of organic unfiltered ACV in all of their water 2-3 times a week.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

I was starting to think i was hallucinating LOL

I know just last week or a couple weeks ago there was a long (very long if i remember right) discussion about the GSE and how it does more harm then good.

I don't know if the ACV was in with that discussion or not though - that's what I'm having trouble remembering

but i do know i read it about both things and the ACV I read 1st it may not of even been on the board, may of been a page I'd found and was reading

:mad: having a very bad memory is so frustrating!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Status
Not open for further replies.