• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have experience with Bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It won’t be anytime soon, but I am looking into getting a Bearded Dragon. (I also know I will need a license). While I was doing the Wildlife rehabbing course, I got to meet one, and he was really friendly, he even had a little harness, which I found so cute.

Anyway, I have been reading, but wanted to get info from people here that have owned them/own them; pretty much temps, food, nutrition, equipment and anything else. :)

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Oh gosh..Its been YEARS...The only thing I remember is my mom complaining how much crickets they ate and how much it cost...I guess they ate a lot as they got bigger...Ours never got past 6-7ish inches though...My brother let it die around then...:(
Everything else seemed easy peasy...I'm playing around with the idea of getting one myself, that or a Chinese Water Dragon..Maybe both..:D I'll be waiting though...Probably once the kiddo is older.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My friends loved strawberries... that's the only thing I remember haha

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
They are soo much fun and easy to take care of! The initial setup is what's going to kill you, cost wise. They have great personalities, and make wonderful pets. The great thing is, you can feed them the fresh foods you are probably are already chopping up for your fids :D I haven't owned one, but worked at a pet store for several years and was close friends with the reptile expert there, so I basically just got to hang out with them a lot and sometimes help with feedings. To my knowledge, they eat crickets and meal worms, as well as other types of farmed insects provided you can find them at pet stores (Those have been the only two I've seen at most pet stores here in Ca. They also need salad, which can consist of leafy greens and veggies/fruit. You will need to provide a heat lamp, as well as a uv lamp, and also add calcium powder to their food. That's about as far as my basic reptile knowledge goes :o: Hopefully someone with beardies will chime in...

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Hi Renae, I too, have looked into them. My son is besotted with them (and snakes), so I have looked into the 'prettier' option (to me anyways). My only concern is the initial set-up. I have costed the enclosure I want and get ready for it $735 + $219 for the stand. It is 4ftx2ftx2ft with all the light globes, heater included. Then there is the extras - water bowl, hidey hole, wood, etc. Total approx $1150 - all for the $79 beardie son has named 'Junior'. I have looked on ebay, gumtree etc for second hand but i think due to the bacterial issues, I would rather buy new.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi Renae, I too, have looked into them. My son is besotted with them (and snakes), so I have looked into the 'prettier' option (to me anyways). My only concern is the initial set-up. I have costed the enclosure I want and get ready for it $735 + $219 for the stand. It is 4ftx2ftx2ft with all the light globes, heater included. Then there is the extras - water bowl, hidey hole, wood, etc. Total approx $1150 - all for the $79 beardie son has named 'Junior'. I have looked on ebay, gumtree etc for second hand but i think due to the bacterial issues, I would rather buy new.
Holy canoli! :eek: I never would have guessed.

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
I own 2 beardies and LOVE them. It's a little costly to get the habitat set up. They have great personalities and have the appetite of a horse. The main key is lighting (UVB and UV spectrum) and feeding them the correct balance of veggies, some fruits and insects. I dust their insects once a week with a calcium supplement with vitamin D but you have to watch the use of this as well. Too much vitamin D could hurt them in the long run. I did as much research as possible before adopting my babies.

My baby bearded dragon

My first beardie when he was hatching :)

My red beardie sun bathing with his buddy

Bath time

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne

Holy canoli! :eek: I never would have guessed.
Shawna, that is the enclosure I have chosen. I could go dearer or cheaper. The cheaper option is glass which is not really recommended as it is very hard to control the temperature in glass enclosures. But yes - holy canoli - although I did mutter other more choice words under my breath, which is why I looked at second hand. But for me, its new or not at all in this situation. (reptiles are known to have bacteria)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shawna, that is the enclosure I have chosen. I could go dearer or cheaper. The cheaper option is glass which is not really recommended as it is very hard to control the temperature in glass enclosures. But yes - holy canoli - although I did mutter other more choice words under my breath, which is why I looked at second hand. But for me, its new or not at all in this situation. (reptiles are known to have bacteria)
Oh I'm sure there are other options, but I know a lot of the ones they sell are for the baby size, and don't consider the adult size. I think though, that with a freshwater fish tank and birds, I'm at my limit for expensive pets :lol:

Teasha

I have heard the baby bearded dragons are hard to keep alive. Wow $1,000 :eek:

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I have a leopard gecko, for 11 years now :) They are similar to the Bearded :) I have played with a Bearded and he had me hooked from the word go! So friendly!! Loved that little man :heart: They are great pets, I tell everyone the best pet I have is Scoobie! The one thing I would caution you on is they do carry Salmonella, which would probably not harm an adult but it could and it is unsafe for babies. My guy sheds regularly and is very healthy, I watch the humidity in his enclosure and I keep him in a spot where he gets to see activity :) He got super lonely when I had him in the basement and he let me know! I wish you were in the States I would give you his old enclosure! It is huge and he opted for the small one, go figure!

ETA: my guy eats mealworms (live) and I buy his crickets in a can because the live ones bit his eyes and gave him all kinds of problems. He will also eat apples, lettuce, carrots and a small amount of lunch meat. He is nocturnal so he sleeps most days and he is up all night playing in his waterfall :) Love Scoobie!

Last edited:

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
I have heard the baby bearded dragons are hard to keep alive. Wow $1,000 :eek:
As long as they are at least 6-8 weeks old you should be fine. They would need small crickets or other small insects that aren't big enough to choke on. When they are young their diets will consist of mainly protein but you still need to offer them the fresh veggies and fruit.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks a lot everyone! So this wouldn't be suitable to keep one in then?

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
Renae, that is really cool! I have never seen one like that :) I think that is more than suitable for a Beardie :) Very neat, too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is really cool!!

charisse12

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charisse
That is a nice cage but it depends on the dimensions. They need a bunch of floor space especially once they're full grown. You'll need some decent substrate as well because they do like to dig and make a bed for themselves. Most people like using the astro turf stuff because its easier to clean and it is safer for juvenile dragons because they tend to eat the sand and if they can't pass it, you run into complications.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We have a few,

They love too climb,
It's VITAL you give them 10:00UVB that is not filtered by anything and as close too them as possible, or they suffer metabolic bone disease. You can also by a visionarium from herp trader to give them natural UV.
Dust their crickets/woodies with calcium powder a few times a week,
Once they're older most of their diet should be veges. Long term high insect diets is bad for them...too much protein. So start them on a colourful salad asap. If they won't eat it, add earthworms or gents for movement.

Get a ceramic heat emitter for basking. They last forever and can go at night.
As hatchies you can leave it on at night til they're older. Once older you can put heat on a timer so it goes off at night if you wish.

Brumation once older is a bit of a pain, but it's suggested it allows reps too live longer as that's ultimately what they're designed too do.

Whites are known to have weaker genetics sadly. I love our whites, but a lot pass away when younger.

Spray them with water too encourage drinking,
Their poop reaks btw!

Sorry it's rushed as most is probably repeated...I'm typing on my phone making me lazy...plus its 2am haha

Anyway...anything I missed just ask. Pretty reptile populated house here lol.

These were our whites as babies (get white as they age lol) unfortunately the really light one with the spot on it passed away, necropsy showed it was simply due too whites being unlucky in the genetics department

This guy,

This is a great place too find breeders,
Deb of Debs Dragons is lovely too deal with as well, I'd recommend her. And having seen them in real life, her dragons are stunning. Ones like a cherry red!

Search AHC | ReptilesDownUnder.com

Last edited:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks Casey. :D

Hmm. I will keep looking for cages then. I will get the dimensions for the one I posted above too.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thanks Casey. :D

Hmm. I will keep looking for cages then. I will get the dimensions for the one I posted above too.

if you're a bit of a handy man, you can easily make them out of melamine :)

failing that, reptile enclosures are always over priced...simply because people know you'll pay.

in NSW you should be able to find a secondhand wardrobe etc, unscrew/remove the doors, and put on perspex (can be an issue as it bends/scratches, and beardies WILL scratch it) or glass doors on either hinges or tracks from bunnings. (a boyfriend comes greatly in handy here if you're like me at useless at DIY)

Or you could remove doors from the front, put glass or perspex on the front solidly (no movement), and put a normal wooden door in the side so the glass doesnt need too move :)

but gumtree is always a good place too look!
just make sure whatever you get, you use something like pondtite too waterproof it :)

I've never had an issue with baby lizards on sand...really...the insects aren't wet and sticking too the sand. as long as they're well hydrated, I reckon it's fine. but that's just me...e.g...geckos live on sand and don't get impacted (unless their gut is different). But we've had baby eastern water dragons, beardies, and frillies on sand, never an issue.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
I don't think I saw anyone mention this, and I know this thread is a week or so old, but if you get a beardie, I would HIGHLY recommend Phoenix worms and dubia roaches as the prinmary feeders if you can handle them. neither one of them stink like crickets do, they live a lot longer, and if you have to order phoenix worms, it's more cost effective and easier to store than crickets. Also, with dubia, you can breed them yourself. Just buy some males and females (more females than males), feed them carrots and a grain mix and "set it and forget it". Not everyone likes this idea, but they don't jump and escape like crickets do. Make sure to feed your BD the nymphs (softer shell). I used to have three beardies, but my abusive ex killed them all. The dubia and phoenix worms made everything SO much cheaper than crickets. Good luck! They really do make great pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.