• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have cage-less birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
My macaws all spend time in their cages, but go out in our huge indoor aviary/bridroom. It is a work in progress though, very functionaly for the birds but lacking in aesthetics. But I have only had this house for a few months so I have been gradually making it more beautiful now that we have the functional part down! My 6 white zebra finches, 2 diamond doves, tiels, Amherst pheasant, and Teaka all live here full time, cage free. There is a space set up just for the smaller birds with lots of natural branches and flight room.
the macaws all come in here for a few hours everyday, and everyone gets along pretty well. They each have their own hanging play area and can go to the floor, but mostly stay in their own areas. The little guys just avoid the big birds and have plenty of room so have not had any issues with that. They really like being out and able to chew anything they can reach! I am so glad I was to get a home with such a great space to use for the birds!
My flock of Bourkes are often out for several hours, they like to roam around and fly back and forth. They also follow us and enjoy landing on our heads:) They do not go in the main bird area, but in a separate part of the house. I would be worried about them with any of the larger guys, they are so docile and trusting!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Everyday I think about how to get a room bird safe for Truely so she can stay out. What do you do about outlets and wires from a TV?

Ginger

Willow

Sprinting down the street
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amy
I guess it depends on your definition of "cage." My guys are out their 24'L x 12'W x 10'H aviary 24/7 in the good weather, they come inside for the winter and the boys are currently caged and the girls free in the bird room, but the boys get to come out and play in the bird room as well.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Evie, our cockatiel is 100% cage free. She doesn't even have a cage. One day we were putting the birds to bed and she refused to go to her cage so we left her out and she's been out ever since.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Everyday I think about how to get a room bird safe for Truely so she can stay out. What do you do about outlets and wires from a TV?

Ginger
Ginger i wish this too for Jaden. If i am at work, everyone except my tiels are locked in. My lovies WILL start trouble, Jaden..is..Jaden :huh: lol, and my quakers are in the living room where theres wires and such so i dont trust it. Riley once in a while i will leave her because she really hates her cage. I can see when shes getting yancy.

When i am home they are always out, but i wish i could actually have a room where theyre all out and no cages. I just dont think i can do that with Jaden in there being such a huge size difference. And there is no room outside the bird room for his giant cage!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Ginger
I feel for you, Ginger. I imagine it would be a much bigger issue with a 'too to bird proof their room. With canopy/sentry birds like Hahn's, who instinctively stay up high, this is really not a concern. Hahn's are easy to keep cage free if they are flighted and you have a number of stations for them to fly to, climb on. They are hard-wired to stay off the ground. All I have to worry about with them is where the poop is going to fall or whether they can reach the ceiling with their beaks (little chewers!). :)

With Zoe, it's completely different. She's a cliff-dweller and a ground feeder. I have to watch her when she's out. She will fly or climb down and waddle around and get into trouble. I do not see how she could ever be cage free unless she were in a large, safe aviary :(

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Ginger
Would you like me to design one for you? :lol:
I think you could build a large aviary in your living room from the back of the couch to the window all the way accross the back wall. ;)
Or you could turn one of your spare bedrooms into a bird room, but it might be more difficult to bird proof.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Dino's cage has a front door and a side door and his side door is never closed. He is free to go inside and outside of the cage as he pleases and he always goes inside to sleep and thats his choice. All the others are out from about 8:30 to 9 am until about 9 or 10 when they usually go back in their cage when they are tired :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Ginger
Looks like you need to do some renovating Ginger. It needs to be purpose built. No exposed wires. Wall outlets are relatively safe but you can always cover them with something like Plexiglas.

What most people do is build an indoor aviary that is as big as the room that it's in. 8 inches from the walls and ceilings.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney

Ginger
gINGER ASK ANNE ABOUT MY PLACE AND DID SHESEE ANYTHING DAMAGED OR MOVED OUT OF THE WAY YES IM LIEING I DID MASK TAPE A TELEPHONE WIRE DOWN A WALL BUT IT WASNT CAUSE OF mANGO IT WAS BECAUSE IT COULD GET PULLED BY ME
mANGO BUGS MY PHONE AND MY KEYBOARD AND ANYTHING ELSE NEAR ME WHEN IM AT HOME BUT WHEN IM NOT THERE NOTHING
I WENT OUT TO BINGO TONIGHT AND IN ORDERE TO GET OUT I SHUT HIM IN MY BEDROOB WHICH HAS TELEPHONE COMPUTER AND ABOUT 40 DOLLS , I CAME HOME 3 HRS LATER HES SITTING ON BACK OF MY CHAIR SAYING (did you miss your moma ahhhh poor baby your momma loves you did you miss your momma ahhhh poor babyyyyy ) nothing has a place in my apt its to dang small my comp desk is a mess and he will think nothing about clearing it off with me there , or the kitchen table he throws every thing he can on the floor but dosnt touch a thing when im out , when my kids were small and learning to get around i didnt move a thing but i did tell them its mine as i do mango always have told him its mine
i can truthfully say most bird owners would never let there bird out if they had the what i call it clutter like i do let alone go out and leave there bird lose , i have always said im the luckest woman alive to have mango i dont know if its because he had nothing till he came to me or what
but hes not from reading post after post what other birds have done in the home like a bird so to speak if i want a clean apt all i have to do is go out every day no mess to clean stay home and lord it takes hrs to clean up behind him,,lol
his cage is inches by my sliding doors to balconie hes never once touched my curtons or blinds
i cant explain the why hes the way he is is it because i have only him dont think so
i truly think its because i have never taken him from his cage play tree ot parrot stand i ask do you want to come i dont invade is area , i calls it respect again i could be wrong i realy dont know whey hes as he is but you have to love him for it
ok now tell me what a fool i am for indangering my mango
i have always said id know when trust has to stop and i do beleave ill see it and he will be caged when i go out till then hes freeeee

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
I feel for you, Ginger. I imagine it would be a much bigger issue with a 'too to bird proof their room. With canopy/sentry birds like Hahn's, who instinctively stay up high, this is really not a concern. Hahn's are easy to keep cage free if they are flighted and you have a number of stations for them to fly to, climb on. They are hard-wired to stay off the ground. All I have to worry about with them is where the poop is going to fall or whether they can reach the ceiling with their beaks (little chewers!). :)

With Zoe, it's completely different. She's a cliff-dweller and a ground feeder. I have to watch her when she's out. She will fly or climb down and waddle around and get into trouble. I do not see how she could ever be cage free unless she were in a large, safe aviary :(

Miss Holiday, you never mentioned that about Zoe in my asking about RFM post! Can we go to it & chat about it? I Dont want to take over her page --!!

PS - My babes are cage'free of there own free will ... they have cage's doors open no later then 10am - and sleep cages for Jardine,Quaker & 'Caw 7pm sharp or I hear about it very loudly! The caique is usally tucked herself in on her boing with her cotton candy cotton hung from her head of she is rocking herself back n forth on the swing which happens before her boing bed ritual LoL! Gosh do I love my flock, they are a hoot! :hug8:

BUT when we go away everyone gets some seed & extra nuts -- also some type of whole wheat toast with almond or macadamian butter on .... then they scream til gosh knows when then eats. Once we start wrestling in the seed they know they are spending the say with out the human type :lol:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Miss Holiday, you never mentioned that about Zoe in my asking about RFM post! Can we go to it & chat about it? I Dont want to take over her page --!!
Oops, sorry. I guess that's part of what I meant when I said mischievous and stubborn :D

Not to hijack, but I'll just elaborate a small bit here: RFMs are different from most other macaws, in that they are not from the rain forest and do not nest in trees. So, they have different behavior. I'll go add a note to the other thread now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.