• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have cage-less birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Or birds that you never lock in? If so, what kind and why? Im curious to see the result.

My tiels have never been locked in since day one. Family of 5 and we were always interacting with all of them. They are extremely used to this, and extremely spoiled. My oldest tiel Curly, she actually develops a VERY nervous pace if locked in too long. Shell continuously pace back and forth in front of the door until you let her out. And being that my tiels dont damage anything and dont bother anyone, i never find a reason to lock them in. They have their own cages, but its always open.

My mom has a TAG. Her parents bit off her toes as a baby and shes a very calm and very insecure bird at times. She hardly EVER EVER leaves her stand. My parents dont even have a cage for her, she has a large open stand. And being the strangest bird in the world (she doesnt like to chew :huh::huh: )she never does any damage unless she gets in the fruit bowl :hehe: I always used to tell my mom her bird was a "fake" because none of mine would be like that!!! LOL

So im curious, do you have any cageless or birds you never lock in?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, none that I *never* lock in. But, Max and Sonny are out from around 8:30 a.m. to about 9:30 p.m. just about every day. :)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
No, My conures and amazon are out of their cages from about 7:30-8AM until about 5PM almost every day. The other fids are out off/on every day but can't be out all day- because I have to rotate which fid gets out when.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yes, the first two birds I owned never had cages for first 5 years of living with us...Amazon and B&G...
once we started getting other birds, we had issues so had to get cages for all of them...but they still come out...:hug8:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, Boo my budgie had a cage, but the door was permanently open for him to come and go as he pleased - he usually sat on top rather than inside - he had his meals up there and a whole bunch of toys. Sadly that had to change for his own safety when I moved home - he was becoming increasingly arthritic and had gout. He would take fright and not be able to fly/get back to his house.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
All of my birds are out from the moment they wake in the morning until they go to bed at night. Being in their cages is their choice. My cockatiel Beebo, has no cage and is never in a cage at bedtime. It all started when I adopted him, he fell in love with my son and spent his nights sitting on my son's dresser when he went to bed. He'd stay there all night long until my son woke in the morning. From that day on, he's never caged. My son no longer lives at home and Beebo will share the cages or playgyms for eating and playing. I have playtop cages so he can access the ones that he knows he is allowed to. He eats there and then when everyone else goes to bed, he crawls up on a boing and goes to sleep till morning.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Scummo (cockatiel) (R.I.P.) was totally cage free for his entire 24 years of life. We brought him home at 15 weeks in a "box" and released him into his own room and that was the last time he was inside anything. As an adult he had free reign of the whole house including flying up and down stairs to the different levels. Fully recall trained (only inside). His wings were never clipped even as a baby and was an amazing flyer. He chose his own sleeping spots and had 2 or 3 favorites. He never even saw what a cage was. I didn't own one.

The budgies have a cage but it is permanently open and they are free to come and go as they please (in the basement). They like to sleep in Tika's aviary near the window (after the TOOZ go to bed in the sleep room).

I still miss him. He was my buddy. :D

Last edited:

shabby737

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alisa Starks
I have a Amazon that has not been locked up since I have had him. For 2-3 years now. He has a cage that he comes in and out of freely. The door is never shut. He has never flown off. He crawls all over his cage.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
The budgies are on again off again free range in the bird room and were before when I lived in an apartment. They get caged when they're getting too nesty or I have visiting birds, aside from that, 'my' office is really their room. :) I would never trust Jasper loose though- he goes about looking for trouble.

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
My quaker and BCC are cage free in the bird room. They're also flighted. They have cages, but I'm considering getting rid of them, because they never go inside any more. My Amazon came to me with clipped wings. I used to put him in a cage at night, but now he sleeps on a PPBN pyramid swing in the corner of the room next to my bedroom. I leave the door open in case he has a night fright or something, but he never has. Things may have to change when his wings grow in, but for now it works well. If he is frightened off of his gym, he climbs back up the ladder. He's not in the same room with my smaller birds, so that makes a difference.

Dana64

Walking the driveway
Our entire flock is cage free from 8:30am until anywhere from 9pm at night. Raja, our B & G, is the only bird that is entirely "cage-free", in that her cage door is NEVER closed, she comes and goes as she pleases... he playstand is in front of her cage and she crawls and plays around the combo of the two all day. The rest the flock are out on playstands all day and put in sleep cages at night.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My 6 Budgies, who share my bedroom with 6 baby ’tiels for now, are out from the time they are uncovered, until bed time. I leave the doors open on their cage once they are out, and they go in and out of their cage as they please during the day. The baby ’tiels are out of their cages too during the day (the Budgies don’t care about them), but only go back in when it is time for a feed, and then they come out again. The only time they are actually in their cages is either, when I go out, bed time, or if they are outside.

My very first ’tiel (and only bird) was never caged apart from when he went to bed, and he would put himself to bed, so he chose to use his cage, even though I didn’t mind for him to stay out and only use his cage to sleep on.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Only since this past September did my two cockatiels become totally cage free. Boomer never left his cage, when I let him out he would make a circle around the living room and go right back to his cage. When Sawyer came along and showed Boomer that there was so much more to life than the cage, Boomer decided he didn't really want to be in his cage every night. Sawyer only wants his cage at night but their cages are never shut, always open. They are also in their own room but still come into the living room/dinning room and kitchen during the day. Boomer still will go inside his cage sometimes at night, sometimes he will sleep on the ledge we made or on one of his perches on the outside of the cage. Sawyer will always wait till I come into the room at bedtime, and wants me to put him in his cage even though the door is not shut nor is it shut after he goes in. I guess it's just habit?

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Kei and Toady are only in their cages at night. Kei hasn't been caged regularly for 6 years.

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
i wish i could leave mine out all day, but my place would be shredded to pieces and who knows who's gonna be missing a toe by the time i get home. my fids, i love them to death, but they are naughty!! when i'm home all day, they get to be out, but being a single parront, it's hard to leave them out when i'm gone. they do enough damage when i'm there!

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I have such a variety of animals here that Jak goes to bed in her cage at night, is climbing in/out/on top of it all during the day unless we have to leave or go upstairs for a duration.
I'm not so much worried about the cats. The rats do not like other animals near their cage but love people. People=Food

MBS

Jogging around the block
I would love to do it, but only if I knew my birds would not be biting each other to pieces. I have dogs and kids that may accidentally step on, sit on, or somehow harm a bird. Half of my birds don't stay on a playstand or their cage reliably so I have to keep my eye on them all the time so they don't wander off and get hurt. My daughter's parrotlet loves to walk around on the ground, and he would be so easy to step on or lose.

My birds are usually out until their bedtime on their cage or on playstands. With our current set of birds and circumstances I just can't trust that our birds would be safe without a cage at night or at certain times during the day.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Since I have been home for the last three years due to disability, I have slowly allowed all but two of my flock to enter and leave their cages at will. Only my YNA cock, Pedro, who absolutely picks a fight with me every time he is out, is caged and my CAG, Emmie, is self-imposed cage bound whenever there is a human in the bird room. Every one else comes and goes as they please and I have had few physical disagreements between the birds. I do at times put Trixie, Meyers, in her cage when she is being overly officious about letting other birds visit with me, but I leave her out later. I adore sitting and watching them do their things while I am in the bird room.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
our tiels are only in their cages if we leave or if we go to bed at night...because the tiels and the budgies do not get along, the budgies get desginated out times..otherwise there wo uld be war...

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Im guessing those with larger birds have a bird room or some ones home 24 7

Mango wants his cage at bed time squaks till covered , but once hes up

hes free i do not have such a thing as an apt any more ..lol the hole apt is the bird room . once in a while Mangos caged when i go out only cause i woke him early and hes mad feathers raised tail out like a fan so i unlach door but dont open and silly him wont push it open
i have been told leaving him out on his own is a no no, i trust mango as i havent seen a sign from him yet not to . now when im homethats a difrent story he knows how to get to me and thats getting in to things ,,lolpestering me for attention and getting it but when i go out he stays in his play area or comes in my bed room and sits on the back of my chair waiting for me to come home he will be 4 in april and i have had him from his first bd , hes flighted and will never change that and a great flyer
zips past me,,lol loves to get on my shoulder and i have earings on dosent bother them unless hes not getting attention,,lol never bothers my watch or bracelet hes realy good hasnt touched a thing in my apt except ,,lol the seal in freezer door and fridge door and boy is he fast and sneeky doing that
cant help but love them even when there doing wrong,,lol
but he wants his cage at night and well covered and lets me know if im slow covering him

Status
Not open for further replies.