• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone give thier conures cuttlebone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

4myparrots

Walking the driveway
For my GCC, I found a cuttle bone embedded in the mineral block material. So far she hasn't touched it. I have just a mineral block in my Hahns cage.

LoveMyConure

Meeting neighbors
My GCC has both a mineral block and a cuddle bone. I don't really know if he eats the cuddle bone or not, but i know he does alot of chewing with it. lol. He doesn't pay much attention to the mineral block.

Kelli711

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
Beak scraping

We are fairly new to owning a bird.Charlotte is our first one and she just got given to us,neither of us knew anything about them.We have had her almost a year and we are slowly learning all her behaviors.We are actually curious what it means when our bird scrapes her beak.My husband thinks it means she is content.

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Kelli,
Scraping a beak usually is a part
of their grooming. They clean it by
scraping it. They also condition their beak
by scraping it on something. If your bird is
grinding her beak, that is a sign of being
content. It sounds and looks like we would grinding our teeth.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have cuttle bones for my birds BUT I don't give them whole...I scape them soft part into their wet food...I do use mineral blocks...some eat them and some don't...
Reason I scape the cuttle bone now is I have read vet reports on birds that have died for "no reason" only to find during Necropsy that either egg shells or the HARD part of the cuttle bone had cut into the crop or intestine causing the bird to "bleed out" or to have a fast growing infection....the sharpness of the egg shells or cuttle bone can cut your skin very easy...
If you give egg shells, dry them and grind to a powder and then put onto the foods...
Just a heads up! :hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Use cuttlebones for all flock members here, the whole thing or half per flight/cage/etc. … Never in 20+ yrs. have I ever had any kind of problem with using them and I have a huge flock of many species of parrots and birds. Sure, there could be a rare accident, anything is possible but the benefits far out weight any remote possible risks IMO.

I recommend our members keep one in every cage. If you are still worried about sharp edges or whatever, I suggest you break off the hard shell part and serve the rest, either in chunks or in powder like was previously mentioned. Like was also previously mentioned, some birds take a real long time to start nibbling or chewing on them but IME, eventually they all do. Just leave one in the cage and sooner or later the birds will realize what it is and the benefits to them to eat it.

rhiaro

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Tigo has had one for a few days, and I caught him nibbling on it for the first time this evening. Before now, he'd just wrestle it from the side of the cage and let it drop (the clips aren't very good, and I think he likes causing trouble). Now he keeps going back to it, I think it's a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.