• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone give thier conures cuttlebone??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cece4

Strolling the yard
I never have but since my sons little budgies and tiel chew up these pretty regular.I never thought that maybe the greenies might chew one too.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have tried to give them,but Nala just ignores hers and Skittles will crunch it really fast and just drop it cause he must think its just a fun toy.

LittleGems

Rollerblading along the road
I have them in every cage. For the most part they ignore them, sometimes they get used as a chew toy

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have a cuttlebone and mineral block in all the cages---budgie, tiel and conure. And the only ones that "eat them" are the two males!!!!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Birds need cuttle bones in their cages rather they use them or not - You may not always see them use it, but they will use it when they need it!

My original group didn't touch theirs for at least 8 months after I got them, now i can't keep them supplied we buy them in bulk Because We go through at least 2 a week PER bird cage I roughly have 20 cages!

Magic

Real Name
Sherry
Birds need cuttle bones in their cages rather they use them or not - You may not always see them use it, but they will use it when they need it!

My original group didn't touch theirs for at least 8 months after I got them, now i can't keep them supplied we buy them in bulk Because We go through at least 2 a week PER bird cage I roughly have 20 cages!
mine go threw them so fast i cant keep them either but i havent found anyone to buy bulk from on them i ben getting mine from a feed store there a dollor a piece id love to buy bulk insted tho

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

mine go threw them so fast i cant keep them either but i havent found anyone to buy bulk from on them i ben getting mine from a feed store there a dollor a piece id love to buy bulk insted tho
drs. foster and smith is where we buy ours
we buy it in 5 pound boxes

Last edited:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes, but they more so destroy them rather then use them for the purpose of them. :lol:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I used to but they always ignore it so I took it out and I add cuttlebone scraped off into the bean/rice mix as well as their birdy bread.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

thank you
i know some birdies thats going to be happy when i order them :)

Your welcome

Also we drill a hole in the center of them and attach them to the cage with Stainless steel picture wire
Works so much better than the store bought holders Or the little flimsy metal ones a single store bought cuttle bone comes with and MOST defiantly works better than clothes pin - some are so thick a clothes pin(even thick plastic ones) snap in half trying to attack it to the cage lol

cece4

Strolling the yard
Wow I guess I will get the conures some cuttlebones then.I do hate those holders they always get loose and the cuttles fall off..Even if they just play with them its a rather inexpensive cool toy...Thanks

Magic

Real Name
Sherry

Your welcome

Also we drill a hole in the center of them and attach them to the cage with Stainless steel picture wire
Works so much better than the store bought holders Or the little flimsy metal ones a single store bought cuttle bone comes with and MOST defiantly works better than clothes pin - some are so thick a clothes pin(even thick plastic ones) snap in half trying to attack it to the cage lol
i do that some times drilling the holes but i was using string lol but i will check into the wire and do that

birdman78

Real Name
John
I have tried giving my GCC a cuttlebone and mineral blocks and he will have nothing to do with it. Now my tiel loves the heck out of them.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Wow I guess I will get the conures some cuttlebones then.I do hate those holders they always get loose and the cuttles fall off..Even if they just play with them its a rather inexpensive cool toy...Thanks
They'll also stand on them and it helps keep the nails trimmed ;) and they will also wipe their beaks on them just like perches and that helps trim the beak - so its not just them eating the cuttle bone itself that is helpful its just having it there for them to use as a grooming aid as well.

evsrin

For all of you whose Conures don't like them... you can try the cuttle perch. That's what I use for my GCC and he LOVES it. He wont even touch a regular cuttlebone in his cage but he loves the perch. The minute I put it in his cage he was all over it, licking it and scraping his beak across it.

Cuttlebone Calcium Bird Perch

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
For all of you whose Conures don't like them... you can try the cuttle perch. That's what I use for my GCC and he LOVES it. He wont even touch a regular cuttlebone in his cage but he loves the perch. The minute I put it in his cage he was all over it, licking it and scraping his beak across it.

Cuttlebone Calcium Bird Perch

I bought one of those for my budgies - I have no clue what I was thinking :rofl: with a cage full of budgies (at that time it was like 20) it lasted a Week if I was lucky LOL I did not think they'd destroy it that quickly LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.