• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any other Fiery-shouldered Conures?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you thought about puting fake eggs in and then incubating them yourself if they candle as fertile?
I haven't gotten to that point yet. I had considered taking the eggs and putting them under another pair of conures. My pineapples green cheeks laid 7 fertile eggs. What's a few more?

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Awww damn! Well thanks so much for the update I was just talking about you to the place where I got my Sebastian! Please keep us in the loop, with these guys being on the verge of being endangered supporting their breeding could save their lives, and they are so special and lovely!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The third clutch was a failure as well. I pulled 7 eggs today. When I examined them, 6 looked clear, or with very little development. One was very dark, so we cracked it and found a partially developed embryo. It had been dead for some time, but it proves they are fertile together. I was using a small net to scoop out the eggs because she was not going to leave the box, even thought she stopped sitting on the eggs days ago. She got caught in the net, so she came out with the eggs. While I had her out I gave her nails a trim because they were in bad shape. I'm going to force them to take a break, but I'm encouraged that they are fertile. Maybe we'll have better luck next season.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@BrianB so sorry to hear that but happy to know they are fertile and will get another chance! thanks so much for the update!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are way ahead of me. I removed the eggs, gave her nails a trim and decided I would remove the nest box the next day so they didn't have too much stress at once. The next day there was a new egg waiting for me. If they can get consistent fertility, I have a feeling they are going to be prolific. I'm checking the calendar every day and if there aren't any hatchings, those eggs are getting pulled at 30 days and the box will be removed. I didn't expect her to lay 3 clutches, let alone 4, but I don't want her to wear herself out laying unproductive eggs. In the meantime, she's getting extra food and calcium, and then they get a forced break whether they want one or not.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These two are a circus. After I pulled the last clutch and went to block off the nest box, I discovered she had laid again. I should have pulled that egg and separated them. About a week and a half ago, I candled the now 6 eggs she had. Two of them were clear and partially dried out. I removed them. The other 4 looked fertile with some blood vessels in them. I left them alone. I checked again yesterday and she has laid another 2 eggs. She's given us almost 30 eggs since January. I'm giving them 1 week to see if any of the oldest eggs hatch. If not, they are getting separated until December or maybe January of next year when I'll let them try again. This poor girl is going to wear herself out laying unproductive eggs. I have another pair of conures that can go in that cage in the meantime.

Ericmu17

Meeting neighbors
I wanted one sooo bad but I dont buy sight Unseen and There were two, Male Had a undeveloped eye but healthy and the female looked good. But There were also a brood of baby rosifrons and and I got a baby male. Looking to breed him if you have a lead.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a bit old, but I thought I would update. - I separated them a few months ago. In total, she laid 26 eggs. There were two that they destroyed at hatching. There was mixed fertility with the others, but more clear than fertile considering how many she laid. I reached out to the breeder I got the female from and he basically said this is why they are so uncommon. He said he has pairs that never breed, some that lay, but aren't fertile, some pairs that are fertile, but are bad parents, and some that are productive. He has 50 pairs, so he has the advantage of numbers. He suggested I give them a break and let them try again next year. I'm also going to look for an incubator, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'm going to take the eggs and put them under another pair as they are laid. I'll separate them after 6 eggs, or she will continue to lay until she wears herself out. Maybe that will work, and if not, then it wasn't meant to be and I'll probably sell.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
This is a bit old, but I thought I would update. - I separated them a few months ago. In total, she laid 26 eggs. There were two that they destroyed at hatching. There was mixed fertility with the others, but more clear than fertile considering how many she laid. I reached out to the breeder I got the female from and he basically said this is why they are so uncommon. He said he has pairs that never breed, some that lay, but aren't fertile, some pairs that are fertile, but are bad parents, and some that are productive. He has 50 pairs, so he has the advantage of numbers. He suggested I give them a break and let them try again next year. I'm also going to look for an incubator, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'm going to take the eggs and put them under another pair as they are laid. I'll separate them after 6 eggs, or she will continue to lay until she wears herself out. Maybe that will work, and if not, then it wasn't meant to be and I'll probably sell.
Can you give her fake eggs so she can stay with her friend but stop the extra laying?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you give her fake eggs so she can stay with her friend but stop the extra laying?
I've thought about it, but she lays so much and so frequently I'm not sure it would make any difference. It's worth a try though.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Please keep us updated, Brian. I find this thread to be very interesting. :geek: