• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any other Fiery-shouldered Conures?

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So I'm realizing just how rare my new companion Sebastian is, and I can't really find any Fiery-shouldered specific tips out there- anyone out there have any experience with this rare breed? Are they basically just like green cheek conures? TIA!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one. Had a pair, but one died unexpectedly. I haven't seen them anywhere. Mine is a breeder, so he's not really interested in me, but they are the same size as the other green cheeks I have, and have the same diet. Beautiful birds too.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks BrainB, do you notice any big differences between the GCC and the FSC?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not really. The FSC makes the same noises, the same alert call as my GCC's do when he sees something or someone he doesn't recognize. If it wasn't for the coloring, I would presume he was the same species. If I manage to get another mate for him and get chicks, then I'll have a better idea of the personality. His mate died suddenly a few weeks ago and he's just a lonely bird right now. I hope I can find another, but they aren't common at all.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where did you get your FSC ? I'm on a mission to find a female for my guy before the breeding season starts.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Where did you get your FSC ? I'm on a mission to find a female for my guy before the breeding season starts.
Hey @bBrainB I got him at the New Hampshire Bird Supply in Nashua, NH, who got him from a breeder in Flordia, who I think may be the only breeder in the states at the moment. I don't know his information but maybe if you look up the store and call them they may be able to help.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the tip. I found a guy in California who has a few for sale. I'm pretty sure mine is a male, but I'm waiting on DNA testing to be sure. They do seem to be very uncommon in aviculture. Looks like there may be only two or three serious breeders in the whole country.

Sambeana

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Your welcome and I know it’s crazy I had no idea how rare they were and he just like literally fell into my lap I was not even looking for a Conure! Keep me updated because once my guy matured I may think about breeding him, I’ve raised baby birds before so I know it’s a lot of work but wouldn’t do it until I was ready and he was older.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our new female fiery-shouldered conure is coming next week. Hopefully they will hit it off and we can have some babies in the spring.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our new girl arrived. She was a little worn out from the trip, but she's doing much better. I brought the male inside and put the two of them in cages side by side. Within minutes they were watching each other and chatting back and forth. I left them separated for a week and just watched them. This past weekend we put them into a new cage where they can be together. I had to cover one side of the cage because the male was being aggressive towards a pair of turquoise GCC's nearby. Once they couldn't see each other everyone was calm again. Now when I check on them, they are sitting side by side either on a perch or on the side of a bowl. I'm hoping they continue to do well and give us some pretty babies next year.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought I would resurrect this old thread. My FSC pair have a chick hatching today. They had a total of 5 eggs, so I'm excited to see how many chicks we get.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Brian, congrats! I lost my FSC to ovarian cancer a few years ago.. she was the best bird ever. :heart::heart::heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know it's old... but I gotta point it out....

Species*, not breed.

There's a fiery shouldered available at one of my local Petco's.... as well as a Pearly....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought I would resurrect this old thread. My FSC pair have a chick hatching today. They had a total of 5 eggs, so I'm excited to see how many chicks we get.
Hope all has gone well with that. Post an update when you get a chance.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Things didn't go as well as planned, but I believe it is just inexperience on the part of the birds. The first clutch of 5 was all infertile. A few of the eggs were very small. With that being her very first clutch, it wasn't a surprise. The second clutch had one chick start to hatch, but they destroyed it, and another egg. The other eggs were clear. I removed them a week later and then replaced all of the material in the nest box. They now have 6 eggs. If any are fertile, we should see the first hatch in about 5 days. I haven't really been able to find out much about breeding habits for the FSC, so this may be why they are so uncommon - they are just difficult to breed. We'll see. If we get no chicks, then I'll force them to take a break and we'll try again next time.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Things didn't go as well as planned, but I believe it is just inexperience on the part of the birds. The first clutch of 5 was all infertile. A few of the eggs were very small. With that being her very first clutch, it wasn't a surprise. The second clutch had one chick start to hatch, but they destroyed it, and another egg. The other eggs were clear. I removed them a week later and then replaced all of the material in the nest box. They now have 6 eggs. If any are fertile, we should see the first hatch in about 5 days. I haven't really been able to find out much about breeding habits for the FSC, so this may be why they are so uncommon - they are just difficult to breed. We'll see. If we get no chicks, then I'll force them to take a break and we'll try again next time.

Have you thought about puting fake eggs in and then incubating them yourself if they candle as fertile?