• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

any one use the heat panels form avitech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
yes i was thinking seeing pictures woud help sell me to. They have a couple pictures but they are not cage set up (last time I looked) Would you hang it higher in a corner for when they sleep or would you place it some where else??

Leslie how would you use this for babys? Did you mean instead of a brooder or for maybe when they a tad older and trying the cage? Because hey are not fully feathered and could still use the heat?
I would use them for my two older birds....who are both arthritic.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Allison do you guys happen to use the Avitech fluorescent fixture with tube bulbs as well? I am wondering how good they are.

CarmieJo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
We have one for Howard and love it!I think that they are well built. We have it almost to the top of his 6' tall cage and it got knocked off and is no worse for the wear. We leave it on 24/7 in the winter and have it on a timer so it only comes on at night in the summer.

As far as I know you can only buy them from Avitech. When we told Dr B that we'd bought one for Howard he said he thought they were great. He told us that he doesn't carry them because Avitech will only sell them at retail and so he would have to charge more than retail for them.

I'll take pictures in the morning.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
How hard are they to take on and off the cage? I'm guessing you'd have to do if you were going to steam clean the cage??

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks for all the input on these....I just ordered one to fit my hospital cages, just in case. I had never seen these before!

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Here are some pictures I took of Howard's heat panel.

From the inside

From the outside

From the side

The brackets

It is a little tricky to get the panel in the brackets without one side of the bracket coming off of the cage but it not hard to take on and off at all.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I didn't see this the first time around, they look like a good idea, especially here when the weather gets really cold...
I'm trying to figure out why you would want one shaped like the large at 11" x 40" :huh: I guess so you could only heat one side of the cage?
Do most people just have one that's the appropriate size for where their sleeping perch is? Or one that covers more space?

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I didn't see this the first time around, they look like a good idea, especially here when the weather gets really cold...
I'm trying to figure out why you would want one shaped like the large at 11" x 40" :huh: I guess so you could only heat one side of the cage?
Do most people just have one that's the appropriate size for where their sleeping perch is? Or one that covers more space?
The idea is just to heat one side so they can move away from the heat if it's too warm for them. I just ordered the smallest one to use on a hospital cage, but I wouldn't bother to do the largest personally. I'd have it only cover the most common area of the cage for the bird, but thats JMO.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
Howard's is a size small and he usually sleeps on the perch right beside it. He also has other high perches so he can choose to sleep further away if he wants. Occasionally I see him on one of them when I uncover him but not very often. When I remove the cover, which is just a sheet, in the morning the panel makes the whole interior of his 48x48x24" cage noticeably warmer than room temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.