• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Antibiotic making my bird sick

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
Has anyone had clavamox prescribed to your pet bird? I think it is making him sicker and an appetite loss. I withheld it last night and this morning and he's eating better. I am supposed to give a the days worth tonight 0.14 but he was taking 0.7 twice daily and did not want to eat or drink. His blood work and cultures came our good with white cell count a little high. Avian Vet wants antibiotic continued. Upon reading about clavamox-it is not usually used in birds and can cause GI upset. Has anyone had this experience?

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
No.. I lost my other bird on the 4th to kidney disease and had noticed he was off but it was too late. I noticed my GCC did not seem well either so I had a bunch of tests done. The vet thinks it may be viral but not sure what. Everything came back fine except his WBC was 10,000 and he list some weight. She started the antibiotics on Saturday-the day of his appointment while waiting for his labs. He would not eat or drink the rest if the day. She gave the med Saturday and I gave the next morning. He had a seizure on Sunday and saw her again yesterday (Monday). She crop fed him as he has already lost 2 grams since Saturday. She had me hold the antibiotic for last night and this morning and said to give days dosage once at night starting tonight. He's perked up today and has been eating better and drinking. My concern is that if I start him on the antibiotic again he may get worse again.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Is this the first time he has ever had a seizure?

Your WBC can elevate from the stress of the appointment. Is this an avian vet?

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
Yes.. The very first seizure I have ever seen. He is 8. Yes she is a certified Avian Vet.

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
She said since he's small she didn't think. It should be that elevated.. Even from stress.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is the dosage correct? Double check both with the vet and how much you're actually giving.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Samantha is allergic to clavamox. When Sam took it he started bleeding in his GI tract. He was taken off of it right away.

It can work great for some, but my vet said that she has seen some bad reactions to this medication too. I'm not sure if seizures are one of the reactions, but they could be.

Maybe try a different medication?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would pull the antibiotics until you can go back and redo your CBC and get a different medication.

What other symptoms have you seen prior to the appointment?

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
He definitely was not eating as well as usual and had lost some weight. Also a little wobbly. He's still a little wobbly but definitely seems better today than yesterday. She prescribed him 7 in a tiny syringe. She said to give him 14 once a day at night beginning tonight. I am very worried since he had none last night and this morning and ate much better. I could not get him to eat or drink anything since Saturday and that is why she crop fed him on Monday. Today eating much better. I am thinking I will hold it again and call the vet tomorrow. He was 66 grams Saturday and only 64 Monday. His normal is 74 grams. I was hoping the cultures and blood work would tell me something but it didn't except the WBC and some other cell that could be virus related but not cancer related. Everything else was good. I am so afraid that I am going to lose him too. My Heart is already broken from loosing my Senegal.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Make sure to keep him warm and hydrated. Let him have some of his favorite treats to get extra food in him.

Call the vet in the morning and give your concern with the medications, ask her to switch them. Did she send you home with your test results? Could you take a picture?

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
No she didn't but I am going to ask for them. I do have the receipt for the tests she did though.

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
I knew the WBC because I asked what it was when she said it was high. She said she wanted to keep him in antibiotics so he doesn't get an infection from being sick from most likely a virus. Or if there is a systemic infection that's not showing up.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Not sure how it is mixed, but assuming you mean .14cc of medication 1x day, or .07cc twice a day, seems like a rather high dosage to me.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Antibiotics are not for viral infections. Has she made any mention of more tests?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my birds did not do well on clavamox. It made her nauseous. I took her off that and we started her on a different antibiotic. Did the vet do fecal and oral cultures? What are you handfeeding him? I would look into purchasing vetri-DMG and administering that. https://www.amazon.com/VetriScience-Laboratories-0900590-030-Vetri-DMG-Liquid/dp/B00008DFDO Consult with your vet regarding this. I feel that it is very beneficial in enhancing the immune system and supporting body functions.
Hope that your bird will get better.

Last edited:

Birdfriend

Meeting neighbors
Yes 0.7 twice a day originally yesterday said give once a day 0.14 at night to see if it is affecting his appetite.