• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another situation with Milton...

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Seems to be picking up the intensity of energy from your concern over this.

Try to keep things simple and level out your emotional energy.

Take a break from the issue, he is physically healthy, that's a good thing.

Leave it be ,if possible, keeping your abient energy calmed,. Try to back off the issue for a while... reset, rewind, to an earlier time of you and your flocks balance "Zen state of mind" if you will.

Lower your energy, create a soothing atmosphere.

Give that a try for a few day's even a week if possible.

The more you get in his space with this ,trying socks and whatever else, could potentially exsaserbate the plucking. Simply put, you may be trying to hard.

p.s. on the light side of this, (satirical irony) if all else fails...romantic music,
candle lit dinners of his favorite food.:andor:

Perhaps a favorite toy nestled into a bouquet of birdie safe flowers, could possibly be all that's needed ! :yes:

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Seems to be picking up the intensity of energy from your concern over this.

Try to keep things simple and level out your emotional energy.

Take a break from the issue, he is physically healthy, that's a good thing.

Leave it be ,if possible, keeping your abient energy calmed,. Try to back off the issue for a while... reset, rewind, to an earlier time of you and your flocks balance "Zen state of mind" if you will.

Lower your energy, create a soothing atmosphere.

Give that a try for a few day's even a week if possible.

The more you get in his space with this ,trying socks and whatever else, could potentially exsaserbate the plucking.

Simply put, you may be trying to hard.
I hear you. Dr. A was also basically saying the same thing when I talked to her today. We're going with the AviCalm (when it gets here) and the tea and honey mixture and how things go. We'll use the sock hoodie only if it looks like Milty's about to open a wound on himself...which I don't think will happen, because I don't think he can generate enough force to cut open his skin with his claws.

We have been more "in his space" by keeping him busier than before (trips out, playing fetch, etc) as a distraction and to keep from him having time to consider plucking...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I hear you. Dr. A was also basically saying the same thing when I talked to her today. We're going with the AviCalm (when it gets here) and the tea and honey mixture and how things go. We'll use the sock hoodie only if it looks like Milty's about to open a wound on himself...which I don't think will happen, because I don't think he can generate enough force to cut open his skin with his claws.

We have been more "in his space" by keeping him busier than before (trips out, playing fetch, etc) as a distraction and to keep from him having time to consider plucking...
Try not to "overdo" keeping busy, that too could possibly be flooding him & overwhelming to a degree of doing more harm than good.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
In actually, it's going to end up looking like a mini ski mask, with the heel of the sock coming up to the area of plucking.

I don't know. Dr. A did a quite complete exam with Milty..concentrating on checking if there were any growths, irritations, etc in and around his upper body...along with his blood and poop tests, we were there for almost an hour...
Xray? If not, consider it

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When my Goffin gets bad, I'll put some pure aloe vera juice mixed with water into her spray bottle and mist her. I use just a little of the aloe vera.

The Aloe calms the skin that is irritated by the feather pulling, and the little ingested through preening isn't harmful, and may even be beneficial.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I'm so sorry Bob, and Milty!
Chamomile for EVERYBODY!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Could he have mites? Or beak mites?
None noted.

Today, while he was sitting with me, he reached up and pulled two feather sheaths out. He then turned to me and said "I LOVE IT". I don't know what to think of that...I just ignored it...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@cassiesdad , sorry this took so long to get back to you. this is the recipe for the chamomile tea for birds:
1 tablespoon of chamomile flower tea
8 oz. of very hot (105 to 110 degrees) but not boiling water
1 drop of organic honey
let it steep for 10 to 15minutes and strain. keep in the frig when not in use.
Dr. Tony said to start with this and you can reduce down the water one ounce at a time for stronger solution. he said try 5 to 10 ml syringe in his beak to begin with, daily. you can also if Milton doesn't like the taste, add a few drops of apple juice to the tea. he said all birds are different some love the stuff (Giget) and some would rather regurg it up on you. the reason for the temperature in the water is you want volatile oils to come out of the flowers and into the water. but you don't want to turn them bitter with too hot of water either. he said that you can also put this in mister bottle and mist it over Milton after a wet. he also said that you can add this to any of Milton's favorite soft foods.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@cassiesdad , sorry this took so long to get back to you. this is the recipe for the chamomile tea for birds:
1 drop of organic honey
Dr. Tony said to start with this and you can reduce down the water one ounce at a time for stronger solution. he said try 5 to 10 ml syringe in his beak to begin with, daily. you can also if Milton doesn't like the taste, add a few drops of apple juice to the tea. he said all birds are different some love the stuff (Giget) and some would rather regurg it up on you. the reason for the temperature in the water is you want volatile oils to come out of the flowers and into the water. but you don't want to turn them bitter with too hot of water either. he said that you can also put this in mister bottle and mist it over Milton after a wet. he also said that you can add this to any of Milton's favorite soft foods.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
1 drop of organic honey
Thanks for posting this. Milton came to us accepting fluids from a syringe...his first owner had gotten him used to them. Sometimes he likes to bite at the syringe, though. ;)

We'll set up the situation tomorrow...:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I almost wonder if he is plucking out of habit now... Maybe he started plucking because he was stressed about you getting a new bird or because of the fireworks or whatever, and even though he may have gotten over that initial reason to pluck, he does it now out of habit...
I think you are correct in your thinking.

I believe this is proof of what you said...
Today, while he was sitting with me, he reached up and pulled two feather sheaths out. He then turned to me and said "I LOVE IT". I don't know what to think of that...I just ignored it...

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I think you are correct in your thinking.

I believe this is proof of what you said...
Yeah.... Sounds like a habit to me... Oh Milton. :(

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh Milty,, please stop doing that. What about hemp seeds? Supposed to be calming... Just a thought...

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Super long shot I'm sure, but I'll throw it out there just in case ... do you have any air purifiers that have accidentally gotten the "ionize" setting turned on?

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Oh no Milty.... I'm so sorry to hear that he's plucking again.. I'm not sure if this was stated but I heard rosebud helps reduce stress and calms them down.. I had some with a birdie mash i bought recently... :sadhug2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Super long shot I'm sure, but I'll throw it out there just in case ... do you have any air purifiers that have accidentally gotten the "ionize" setting turned on?
Good thought...I checked all three (!) purifiers...with three tiels and a 'too, you need three of those things...all are working normally...:)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, throwing out another long shot questions, @cassiesdad, is there any road construction in the area like big dump trucks rumbling thru, dumping their load and banging the dump gate? has the airport in the area changed the way they routing large aircraft in the skies? loud rumbling noises from low flying airplanes? Dr. Tony asked me to ask, some toos are freaked by those noises and will pluck because of it. and dang-able thing you may not notice it because your hearing has learned to tune it out, just noise.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Interesting thought. I don't believe there's been any construction around here and no plane route changes. We have the usual garbage trucks on Wednesday nights and the fire station that has to have their sirens going when needed.
On the weekends we do have the illegal motorcycle races on the six lane road up the street...they start about midnight and go until 3 or 4 in the morning...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
that could be it, I ride and some of those bikes have super loud exhaust pipes. and if it's interrupting Milton sleep cycle with loud noises that he already afraid of. he might be plucking because of it. just a thought.