• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another situation with Milton...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I actually saw Milton break off a piece of wood from his toy and begin to scratch the side of his face. I think I'm going to have to put the sock buddy on him...:(

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh no! Poor Milton.

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
If it were possible to give him a hug, I totally would. If it were possible (and not amazing expensive to do so), I'd let him WET all day long to help him feel better. I hope Milty feels better soon!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Really sounds like the face is bothering him. Maybe still the feathers.

Try to keep him busy still rock his world. Move his cage & things so he has to concentrate on that.

I know but how much can you keep doing that....

Still not sure if the water has some minerals that irritate the area.

OOOOhhhh Milton.....dats bad....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's just so freaking smart...he's using a tool to satisfy a need...albeit a need that hurts him...
:(

Oh yes...he did sip at the tea/honey mix...we'll try it again tomorrow. We let him see the sock buddy...and he went nuts. We're going to have to attach a velcro closure on the back of the sock to put it on him...

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:( I'm so sorry. Milton is such a special bird. Is he mainly plucking his face? If so I'm don't know how much a sock buddy will help. :( I know when I had a sock on Zane it was hard on the feathers he wasn't plucking. It can be such a catch 22 with pluckers and self mutilators :( I wish you and Milton all the best
:sadhug2:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hmmmm going to have to try to talk him into a sock buddy...He likely thinks it some form of pig...

Do laundry with it. Fold it...let him help...he has to first get accustomed to it.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I agree with Sarah, how would the sock thingie keep him from plucking or pulling his face? Unless you make him a ski mask : /

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dang, Bob, I am going into tomorrow to volunteer, if possible I will put chamomile tea recipe on from there.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Long shot question and not a pleasant one. My Lea suddenly began plucking on her back. We couldn't figure out why and tried drugs etc to see if it would alleviate. It did not. My vet was away once and his apprentice vet guessed there was an internal issue below where plucking occurred. Later I learned that was the issue.

Something about your description triggered my recall on Lea's situation...perhaps the desparation for Milton to get at an area. I know you recently got him checked by the vet. I wonder if there is further physical exam that could reveal more.

Sorry to pose unpleasant perspective and not trying to alarm you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear that.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It sounds like allergy from food or environment . Possibly a reaction to something he eats , did you add anything new since this started up, or environmentally ?

Infection with giardia
A cockatoo can get infected with Giardia by being exposed to an infected bird. This can be any bird species or its droppings. Giardia in cockatoos is not contagious to humans or other mammals, but it is contagious to all other birds.

Diagnosis
Giardia is a single celled organism than can be found in the intestine of mammals and birds. Many animals that have Giardia in their bodies do not experience problems, but even after a long problem-free period symptoms can occur.

Symptoms
diarrhea, malnutrition , itching, feather plucking and weight loss.

Giardia will periodically be present in the droppings of infected birds. At other times, birds that are infected will not excrete any Giardia cells in their droppings. A vet can diagnose Giardia by taking a sample of fresh cockatoo faeces. Because the Giardia cells are not always present, diagnosis is not 100% accurate. Another checkup a few days or weeks later will improve accuracy.
Credits : Cockatoo-info.com

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Oh Milty.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If so I'm don't know how much a sock buddy will help.
I agree with Sarah, how would the sock thingie keep him from plucking or pulling his face? Unless you make him a ski mask : /
In actually, it's going to end up looking like a mini ski mask, with the heel of the sock coming up to the area of plucking.
Something about your description triggered my recall on Lea's situation...perhaps the desparation for Milton to get at an area. I know you recently got him checked by the vet. I wonder if there is further physical exam that could reveal more.
I don't know. Dr. A did a quite complete exam with Milty..concentrating on checking if there were any growths, irritations, etc in and around his upper body...along with his blood and poop tests, we were there for almost an hour...

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poor little guy! Wish I had an answer for you! :sad4:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Infection with giardia
You bring up a good point here.

Milton is small for a male U2...about 535g. Because of his diet, which includes human baby food, he is prone to have watery stools...so Dr. A likes to test for Giardia every year. She tested poops in June, at his annual, and at the visit early this month...results negative.

She actually called this morning to see how everything is doing (one month checking in) as she and her family will be on vacation next week. She also is recommending to try the AviCalm.

Dr. A is the best...she's really taken a shine to Milty, as most people do when they meet him..;)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Oh Milton... :(

It sounds like, since you did a thorough vet exam, that the issue is not a medical one.

I almost wonder if he is plucking out of habit now... Maybe he started plucking because he was stressed about you getting a new bird or because of the fireworks or whatever, and even though he may have gotten over that initial reason to pluck, he does it now out of habit...

I don't know... I think we, as humans, try very hard to rationalize everything. We look for reasons for just about everything. So when a bird plucks, we often beat ourselves up about it and think that, oh gosh, we've done something wrong. But really, it is nothing that we did on an individual level. Sometimes the only reason a bird needs to pluck is to be a bird living in captivity... Which, of course, doesn't help us in our attempts to try and relieve the problem.

I'm sort of rambling here... I guess I just want you to know that you are taking all the right steps. You're doing everything right, and you know Milton better than any of us, and although we can give you all sorts of advice, you'll ultimately know what's best for Milton.

That being said, I personally would worry about the ski mask sock buddy stressing Milton out even more, but I can see how it would make sense as a short term solution until the feathers grow back so that he doesn't pluck the itchy pin feathers. It might be worth it, though, to try the Avicalm or chamomile tea first and see if that helps settle him down. Hopefully the mask won't be necessary.

Hang in there. You're doing great.
:sadhug2:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I've been giving Dobey Avicalm for months but have not seen that it makes a difference. I will keep giving it just in case though. I mash it into a small slice of banana. If I put it in his water I can't make sure if he gets enough