• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another lost parrot due to free flight.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Shanlung from what I have read in your words don't do as other do fo;;ow your heart just because we do live in a difrent world as you its a fast pace world most of the birds we have could not survive the winter here in talking in my mind I could be wrong as many havr wrote about how wrong they find this cause I find it wrong I would still in my heart wish my Mango could do as your birds go but this will never happen as long as im alive .
Is it wrong to wish knowing its wrong to do , I don't think so so why do so many voice it as crule when deep down they them selfs if able would be doing what you do with your birds , to start with we would need your climet many do have it but here in ont we don't let me say again I still would not let Mango fly frtt but have always wished I could and if most on all bird forms spoke truth they all would say the same thing , yes it is wrong to do it but if I had money id buy a piece of land and build the biggest free flying strip I could as high as I could make it safe for the spring and summer ,,lol but again that will never happen cause ill never have that kind of moneybut I can dream,,lol
hun you in your wisdom have helped many me included don't ever stop saying your words cause the human is afraid of facing truth , I for one have raised Mango going against the written books im sure I have broken every rule in all the books I raise him trying to think like a bird , what would I want if I were he so far it has worked out , again I cant say I am right but its working and yes you are right birds do pick up on our feelings same as a dog if you show your afraid of him , I have no fears of Mango but I do take precautions when I see his mod changing , I found ways to show him his diveboming he cant hurt me by covering my self with a white towel,,lol it works I also use a green towel when im upset with him and it works hes not afraid of it but knows im up set , you and many others will say im wronge but for us it works
please don't ever stop speeking truth , we need to hear it and heck if ever your shut up ill follow you where ever you go
you have spoke out free flying is wrong even though you do it if many are upset cause you do it that's there problem not yours if you eat fish does that make you wrong in my eyes cause I hate fish,,lol

stick around for a few more 100 yrs hun thank you for showing us the way

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung

I repeat.

PLEASE DO NOT FREE FLY.

FREE FLIGHT IS LIFE AND DEATH PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU DO KNOW.
NEVER EVER FREE FLY WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE AS THIS CAN LEAD TO LOSS AND DEATH OF YOUR BIRD.

The amount of training and bonding is enormous before free flight in the open is even attempted.

Nothing is completely safe.

I am mentally prepared for the worse. Can you do that ?

First Tinkerbell, and then Riamfada was trained in harness and line in small steps by small steps before free flight.
They learned to fly in strong winds, in cross winds, in tail winds, in side winds, gusty winds, from high up to me down below, from down below to me high up above.

I did not just do recalls. I did very complex recalls. They fly to different perches with names in the order I called, and then fly back to me at home.
I hide in rooms and call them to do hide & seek recalls. That they fly to me out of sight and search for me.

I watched them until I knew they do not spook easily, and knew they recover quickly from spooking.

And what about parroty jokes. Birdie loved to do macabre parroty jokes at the expense of your heart.

Even if not parroty jokes, can you cope with exuberance flight?
When your birdie flew high above you and then continued away to disappear at the distant horizon?

Riam did that to me not one, not twice, but three or four times. All in the course of 2-3 minutes in
Chile // Riamfada free flights at the edge of Rub Al Khali
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Chile // Riamfada free flights at the edge of Rub Al Khali

Can you remain calm all through that? Fear in your heart might well frightened your birdie so much your birdie might not come back.

The risk of accident is always there even with a well bonded and well trained bird. What if a hawk suddenly appear to chase your bird?
Read
Reflections on Riamfada at edge of the Empty Quarter and some rants
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Reflections on Riamfada at edge of the Empty Quarter and some rants

The risk of accidents must be accepted so you will be mentally prepared to act fast and act immediately on recovery.
I think many people became frozen during accidents and end up losing their bird.

Read an accident that happened to me with Riamfada and how I acted immediately.

Jebel Akhbar with Kat //Seifa Al Sheik - the Great Escape and recovery
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Jebel Akhbar with Kat //Seifa Al Sheik - the Great Escape and recovery

Replies & thoughts of Seifa Great Escape // Cyrus Oriole // An iftar meal
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Replies & thoughts of Seifa Great Escape // Cyrus Oriole // An iftar meal

Be honest with yourself. Will you be able to react very fast in case of sudden accidents and you see your bird flying away?

And if you want the best for your bird, total free flight add only 0.1% of the benefit of flight.
Flying at home will give 95%
Flying with a good harness add 4.9%
read shanlung: Harness for flighted parrots - To Nick and folks
Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Harness for flighted parrots - To Nick and folks

on training to use harness and how to make the best harness.

YOU MUST READ THE END PART WHERE I REPORTED ON ALL MY ACCIDENTS, ESPECIALLY IN BANTIENYEN. DO YOU THINK YOU WILL BE AS LUCKY AS ME?

Can you handle Murphy if Murphy is standing by your side?

Total free flight give you 0.1% and at great risk.

PLEASE DO NOT FREE FLY.

FREE FLIGHT IS LIFE AND DEATH PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU DO KNOW.
NEVER EVER FREE FLY WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE AS THIS CAN LEAD TO LOSS AND DEATH OF YOUR BIRD.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
One whole group of free fliers with simultaneous start in Taipei, Taiwan.
If pictures speak louder than a thousand words, what about video then.

Just enjoy the sight and you do not need to do what they do, folks from all walks of life.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They all looked so anxious waiting and whistling for their birds to come.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
They all looked so anxious waiting and whistling for their birds to come.
Nothing is ever certain. Even in harness flight.
Even more so in free flights.
I always wait anxiously until I latched that line onto the harness each time before breathing a sigh of relief.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Free flight threads are often a hot topic but please let's stay civil to each other or posts will be deleted.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I THINK ITS GREAT THAT SOME ONE DOING FREE FLITE IS IN HERE EXPRESSING HOW IT FEELS TO SEE THERE BIRD FLY FREE AND EXPLAIN HOW HARD IT IS TO WAIT AND HOPE IT RETURNS E
TELLING US ALL DONT DO AS I DO IT IS NOTHING BUT DANGER, FLY TOUR BIRD IN YOUR HOME
AS FOR THE VIDEO I ENVIE THEM THAT HAVE THE GUTS TO TURN THERE BIRD LOSE AS MUCH AS ID LOVE TO DO THAT WITH MANGO IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN
HE IS TOTALY FREE IN MY APT THE HOLE APT TO FLY WHEN AND WHERE HE LIKES NEVER IN A CAGE EVEN TO SLEEP BIRDS WERE MENT TO FLY THERE IS NOTHING MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN WATCHING BIRDS FLY FREE OUT SIDE LIKE WATCHING A HORSE RUN IN THE OPEN FIELDS THE CLOSEST ILL EVER COME SEEING CANPANION BIRDS FREE IS THROUGH THESE VIDEOS , I FOR ONE AM GREAT FULL FOR SHANIUNG FOR TAKING HIS TIME TO EXPRESS THE DANGERS OF FREE FLIGHT

IF SOME ONE WAS TO EAT SOMETHING YOU YOUR SELF DONT LIKE DOES THAT MAKE THAT PERSOM WRONG I DONT THINK SO SHANIUNG HASNT JUST ENTERED THE BIRD WORLD IT HAS BEEN HIS LIFE HE RELISES THE CHANCES HE TAKES AND CAN LIVE WITH IT BUT HE ALSO DID YRS OF TRAINING BEFOR HAND IN HIM SPEAKING OUT IT MIGHT JUST STOP SOME ONE FROM TRYING THIS THAT MIGHT BE SILLY ENOUGH TO CHANCE IT
HECK I DO THINGS WITH MANGO THAT EVERY ONE SAYS IS A NO NO AT LEAST MOST BOOKS SAY IT BUT WE DONT HAVE THE PROBLEMS THAT IT SAYS WE WOULD HAVE IM NOT SAYING ONE OF HIS FUTURE OWNERS COULD GET AWAY WITH IT BUT MANGO HAS TRUST IN ME WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER YES HE COULD CHANGE SAY FRIDAY AND THATS OK WITH ME ILL CHANGE WITH HIM
LOVE THE VIDEOS TY SHANIUNG

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I think the statement made about not risking free flight is a good warning to anybody and does need to be made very clear.
But in saying that free flight is not impossible and has been practiced for hundreds of years. How would one ever work a peregrine, if you did not fly it free?
I applaud Shanlung for the bond he has been able to make with any bird he comes into contact with.
The classic has to be the one that was wild caught and he flies that free.
I loved the vid of him on his motor cycle with a bird on the front of it.
And that is one of the most important things that need to be made very clear.
It maybe that not that many people may ever reach this level with their birds.

I certainly do things that others are convinced are wrong, but that will not change what I do.
Not that I would promote free flight to anybody. But I do promote flighted birds for health reasons.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
YES IF AT ALL POSABLE ALL BIRDS SHOULD FLY IN THE HOME HECK WHEN MANGO TAKES OFF EVERY THING MOVES HE HAS POWER IS HEALTHYER FOR FLYING IM SURE OF THAT HE CAN GET THROUGH SMALL SPACES LIKE A DOOR ALMOST CLOSED HES FAST AND CAN TURN VERY FAST ID SAY ON A DIME THEY DONT NEED TO FLY OUT SIDE TO HAVE HEALTH EVEN THOUGH I WISH IT SO IT WILL NEVER HAPPN NOT IN MY LIFE TIME KEEPING OUR BIRD SAFE IS OUR MAIN GOAL LIKE WOULD YOU PLACE YOUR SMALL CHILD ON A MAIN ROAD WHY THEN TAKE THE CHANCE OF KILLING YOUR BIRD

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Things done must primarily be done for benefit to birdies.
ln which if flight is allowed to birdie at home (flight in aviary is a joke unless it is a HUMONGOUS aviary), and the respiratory system of birdie allowed to work with the air sacs and lungs

95% of benefits of flying will be already given to birdie.
Might even be 99% or more just to be allowed to fly in the house.

FREE FLIGHTS IN OPEN GIVE MAYBE 0.1% BENEFIT TO A BIRDIE ALREADY FLYING ABOUT IN THE HOUSE.

So you are already doing very very well by the birdie to allow birdie to fly at home.
The risk of free flight is great. Should be left to the mentally unbalanced folks.

We love our birdies as much if not more than anyone else.

But we are not quite right in the head as I really cannot think of logical and rational explanation

So be normal.
Do not be like us.
But be free to enjoy what we do.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
I'm really curious whether you guys who are against free flying pet parrots think free flight bird shows by professionals are irresponsible too?

I was just thinking that the trainers that I have found the most influential on my training style free fly birds. Steve Martin, Hilliary Hanky, BH etc. They are the ones that really promote force free training and aba.
From what i have read (bearing in mind it isnt my favourite topic, so I am not as well read on this subject), certain authors who strongly promote clipping birds also seem to promote more coercive techiques for training pet birds.

Btw is there any follow up on the bird originally posted about?

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Too right Shanlung. "Things done must primarily be done for benefit to birdies". it is a shame some others may not see it this way.

"But we are not quite right in the head as I really cannot think of logical and rational explanation"
Simply put. Deep down you know that when your birds are flying free, they are very happy birds are they not? Is that not why you take the risks? The enjoyment of seeing them being birds!

No matter what we claim there will always be closed minds and shop. And no matter what the truth is 'A Brick Wall will always be Brick Wall'. 'Closed shop'.
It's like telling an alcoholic they would be better if they give it up. They may agree with you, but then go out and drink again and again.
And you may notice that a large number of those slamming free flight have left the thread.

@ In The Air. That is a great statement and I would offer you an answer. But have to duck as I tend to cause trouble with my opinions.
I am 100% into what is good for my birds, they are the ones who count. Exactly as Shanlung stated.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Simply put. Deep down you know that when your birds are flying free, they are very happy birds are they not? Is that not why you take the risks?
But unfortunately, deep down must remain deep down. Or it will be too easy to allow that to bubble up and used to rationallise things that otherwise be too difficult to rationalise.

I know that from time to time, I said things from the heart. Otherwise how else to explain the companionship of the bird outdoors (primarily Tinkerbell from before the crack of dawn to dusk )
Plagiarised unashamedly from Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Harness for flighted parrots - To Nick and folks

We travelled high and low, far and wide after that. You can read and see the photos made of a small fraction of the trips we made. We were out almost every weekends. Tinkerbell was taken to fly from low down to me high up on a hill. She flew from up above to me several floors below. She flew in the mountains and forests. We went for walks to look at the stars and fireflies at night. She flew in winds near typhoon force. She flew in gusty shifty winds. She was out from me at over 70 meters when a rainstorm suddenly hit. I gave the recall and she flew back in the rain.

In the temple grounds to parks to seaside to meadows. She flew in a freedom that you can only get a glimpse of from my reports.

She developed confidence and poise from outings to outings. I smiled when I read about how easily greys are spooked by even addition of a new chair in the house, or the color of a new shirt. I mentally contrast that to the thousands of new people she met in her travels and the new hotel rooms that she was introduced to almost every weekend.

At first she flew to me on recall only in straight line. Then she varied it as her strength and confidence grew. Her best flights were never captured by my camera. She may fly to me, than soar in a twisting flight upwards to circle around, then fly in a big circle and weaved down to me. The memory of my camera ran out as we tried to capture those long flights. A shadow of that beauty exist only in my words of those reports as I tried by best to describe what could not be photographed.

Lifted without qualms from Tinkerbell Legacy - Living with a flying parrot - Tinkerbell - Bantienyen In Retrospect

And even with all that, no absolute guarantees can be given.

So what did we get for all those risks and dangers?
I gained the pleasure of having her with me in all those beautiful places which my photos and my wife photos never can do full justice to. And that I could only briefly tried to sketch out in words what we done there.
And what did she get from all the places she been to? I do not know.
We had been out walking on mountain trails from break of dawn to dusk. She saw to distant horizon in air made crystal clear with that touch of frost. She felt the rain and wind on her face. She saw butterflies by the thousands in migratory routes. Heard and seen other birds flying about. She saw with me the magic of fireflies pulsating all around us. Saw and heard the roars of giant ocean combers pounding the shore and the smell of salty kelpy seasprays. She saw thousands and thousands of people, and touched the lifes of those that stop and talked with us. I wanted for her a life more than just a life within the bars of a cage, or the walls of a house.

I do like to think that she gained something too, even if it was just happiness.

I never felt superior to those who felt they had to clip the wings of their charge as who am I to judge as I reckon they have to live in the constraints of their life and if that is done in full awareness of all the alternatives.
If those that felt superior to me and others who do free flights in the open, they should go and feel whatever that they want to feel.

We all are still part of the bird world , even if I do not have birds now or in the near future.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Not only not all birdies are suitable for this.
Not all humans are suitable for this either. And when those two combined, even that much less so.

That being said, the right combination is possible. Such as below.
I think it is better to accept that then to deny all possiblity of that.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Things must be done to your comfort level. And you and only you can and must set that level.

There is another side of the coin too. I had a call yesterday from a friend of childhood days. A couple months ago, I had another call from him. His CAG, with clipped wings, flew off.
And on a tree in his garden unable to come down. I shot off my primer on how to get lost birdie back to him
Search & recovery of your lost birdie .

I advise him over the phone to keep birdie in sight and do not drag ladder and stuff to scare her. Get stuff to encourage her to fly down and maintain 45 degree slope. A couple of hours, she flew down.

That call from him woke me up yesterday morning. Followed by a wanted poster to my XiaoMi WhatsApp of yet a different CAG. I took a cab over as I thought that CAG (with clipped wings) flew off that morning.
And then found out I did not read his wanted poster to have found she flew off on Saturday. Found in his house (or rather cage) a beautiful M2 or Pink2(Cacatua moluccensis) and that earlier CAG. Birdies are his son living with him, but loved by him and wife and daughter. I know well enough the traumatic pain of a loss of a birdie. If I was called on the same day, his chances of getting back the birdie would be that much better. Except he told me he felt so bad that day he dared not call me then. I told him his CAG is 99.9% in the hands of someone else who will not give him back. No point even to look.

I tried to impress on him how vital it was to have a flight room where proper interactions with birdie can proceed and go at least into recalls. My heart skipped a few beats when he took out the M2 that he told me was clipped. He was beautiful and willingly stood on my wrist. I much rather M2 be taken out into an environment where perimeters were all protected. I reckoned his house would be worth about $30 million at least so he was not short in pocket.

I accept that he love his birds and so do the rest of the family. But clipping of wings is not the best way of looking after the birdies. But I could not keep stressing that point and perhaps driving a fear into him that would force those birdies to remain rest of their lifes in little cages without interactions with those that love them.

Strange part is that what I write are read largely by you and folks of other countries and not by my own childhood friends. Unless with their toes hold to fire. Even childhood friends with birdies do not want to read what could have saved them a world of hurt.

Yet strangely, it is not the flight birds on free flights that you have seen that went missing. More often than not, those that go missing are birdies with clipped wings.

Like my friend's CAG that I went to help locate yesterday. I will dread the day when I received a call of a missing M2 from him.

Verivus

Real Name
Chrissy
The free flight videos are both amazing and gives me anxiety at the same time, lol. The amount of training and the bond between owner and bird that this must require is staggering to even think about. I don't think I could ever do this with my birds, but at least they get to fly in the house...

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
The free flight videos are both amazing and gives me anxiety at the same time, lol. The amount of training and the bond between owner and bird that this must require is staggering to even think about. I don't think I could ever do this with my birds, but at least they get to fly in the house...
I think I feel a lot more anxious on my friend than in those free flighters. And I think so do you when you see his setup.

I thought I add photos to show the birdies of my friend.
That CAG that flew off a couple months ago and that M2.
You see the cages located under a covered veranda which open out to the big blue yonder outside the house.
The more I know, the more I hurt.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I have a general question considering this thread is, sort of, about the dangers of free flying parrots. And it's for those who have acquired parrots knowing they will free fly them. Have you ever considered becoming a falconer instead? It seems that the primary dangers inherent in free flying parrots aren't there. Specifically, predation by other birds or an inability to survive if lost. Most falconers work with non-imprinted species native to their geographic region, so that if a bird is lost (as a natural hunter with skills) it can still survive. Then you've got the various methods of radio tracking that are used in falconry as well. In addition, some foreign countries do not even require premits to own birds of prey (in others permits are quite easy to obtain). But in the US one needs to go through years of training. So, just thinking....

Why obtain a parrot for this purpose when the relationship with a BOP can be just as exhilarating? I'd love to become a falconer but time doesn't permit me at this point in life. My cousin, whom I've just met, has a BOP (bird of prey) rehab/hospital and education center in Sibenik, Croatia. I enjoyed my day with him and was amazed at how well trained his birds are, how well they read human signals, and of course how majestic they are.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Just saw a Whatsapp note from my friend send to me yesterday but noticed only today.
Saw he got his grey back. Called him to get details that his son got the grey with clipped wings which flew up the 10 meter hill behind his house after circling behind the house to end up in neighbour property.
Yes! tell me again grey with clipped wings that cannot fly!

He was lucky he got that birdie back.
I took the opportunity to tell him to do himself and me a big favour by keeping the cages inside the house. That at least the birdies will not have direct access to the great blue yonder.
He told me he will consider that very seriously.

Sigh!!!!