• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I moving too fast?Looking for advice

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Just out of curiosity are you feeding her pellets or just seeds?
:think1:

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Guys, I have another question. I have observed that Candy is more active during the evening. Should I cover her cage later, to maximize on this or should I just keep the schedule? Right now I cover her cage at 8 pm and I uncover it at 8 am. But this doesn't mean she sleeps at 8 pm because I still do my own stuff in the room until 10-11 pm. Could I keep her uncovered until like 10 to maximize on her activity level?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Guys, I have another question. I have observed that Candy is more active during the evening. Should I cover her cage later, to maximize on this or should I just keep the schedule? Right now I cover her cage at 8 pm and I uncover it at 8 am. But this doesn't mean she sleeps at 8 pm because I still do my own stuff in the room until 10-11 pm. Could I keep her uncovered until like 10 to maximize on her activity level?
I think that should be okay

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Hey guys. new qestion. Candy got a poop dot on her her beak. And it already solidifed by the time I saw. How do I get it off her beak? It drives me nuts lol. tried a q tip with water but its still there. any ideas?

Kodigirl210

The first thing is to make sure it’s really a poop dot. If she is scrubbing her beak on stuff it should have come off - though sometimes it can turn into cement.

If it is and you are comfortable, I usually just take my nail and scrape it off.

If you can take a pic and share it might be best to make sure it really is just poo.

Good luck :)

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
The first thing is to make sure it’s really a poop dot. If she is scrubbing her beak on stuff it should have come off - though sometimes it can turn into cement.

If it is and you are comfortable, I usually just take my nail and scrape it off.

If you can take a pic and share it might be best to make sure it really is just poo.

Good luck :)
Hello! I think it is poop because at the beginning of the day the dot was much bigger and now it is smaller. so its definetly poop.

Any idea about the purple stuff?

Kodigirl210

Ummmm maybe I missed it. Does she have purple somewhere? I went back through the posts and didn’t see it?

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Ummmm maybe I missed it. Does she have purple somewhere? I went back through the posts and didn’t see it?
Oh I am sorry! I was thinking your replied in another tread I poses in SOS page. You can check it out if you want. Some weird purple stains appeared on the paper towels. its a mistery

Kodigirl210

Have you fed her anything that could dye her beak purple like blueberry or blackberry?

Kodigirl210

I wouldn’t worry then. She may have found something crammed somewhere that she happened to see. It really looks like berry. If it shows up again I would be somewhat concerned and maybe follow her around in a very sneaky manner to see if you can spy out where she found whatever she got into lol ;)

Kodigirl210

I think it’s also good to remember that she can absolutely carry items in her crop. They do not have to be in her beak or foot. Once she is in her cage she can bring it back up/ especially if it didn’t agree with her.

Just make sure she has access to fresh water and food and just keep a close eye on her to make sure she stays fine.

It might also be a good ideal to put her away and thoroughly sweep and wipe the floors so she isn’t picking up something random while she wanders around.

I know it’s hard because she’s your first bird but as long as she eats, drinks and poops normal then I think you will be okay.

If you are really concerned, then the next step would be to take her to the vet. If you see any more purple spots and can’t find a source then that probably should be the next thing you do.

I truly hope all goes well! :)

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
I think it’s also good to remember that she can absolutely carry items in her crop. They do not have to be in her beak or foot. Once she is in her cage she can bring it back up/ especially if it didn’t agree with her.

Just make sure she has access to fresh water and food and just keep a close eye on her to make sure she stays fine.

It might also be a good ideal to put her away and thoroughly sweep and wipe the floors so she isn’t picking up something random while she wanders around.

I know it’s hard because she’s your first bird but as long as she eats, drinks and poops normal then I think you will be okay.

If you are really concerned, then the next step would be to take her to the vet. If you see any more purple spots and can’t find a source then that probably should be the next thing you do.

I truly hope all goes well! :)
Thank you! I will do just that. Cheers!

BTW guys, she steps up much nicely now. I can show my fingers now and hide the millet behind my back and she will step up and look for the millet. sweet sweet progress!

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
guys! I have sad update. Candy is sick! Last week I saw she lost some of her appetite. While in the beginning she would dig in her seeeds in the morning, now she barely eats. Her urates are also yellow! I am taking poop to vet now and waiting to schedule Candy later.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I'm so sorry that Candy seems sick. I just found your thread and was happy to hear you were making progress. I hope everything turns out OK.

Kodigirl210

Ah poor Candy. The way you spoke yesterday made her seem much better! I’m sorry to hear it.

I’m glad you are taking her to the vet. Is she still drinking? It is important that she continue to get water. Our fids dehydrate fast.

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Hey guys! I took the poop to the vet. Turns out taking paper with poop is not okay for samples lol. Vet gave me a little bottle to put new poop in it and bring it in tomorrow. Vet looked at the poop and said the poop is a LITTLE yellow, but nothing too serious since Candy doesn't have diareea. She thinks it is because from time to time I would feed her hot pepper and she thinks it upset her stomach. She also wants the poop sample to see if she has parasites or not.

She also told me to where do buy peletes for Candy (since they are not available at normal petstore) so in future I'm going to change her to pelet diet since vet recommended now that I have access to pelets.

She gave some powder to put in her drinking water and some white cream to give her to eat or spread on her beak to eat it once a day. She said that if her appetite doesn't come back in like a week or if the poop samples come positive , she can properly schedule Candy for a check up.

Man I am so sad that I fed her that hot pepper. :( I read that they are okay for parrots but it seems not for Candy. If it weren't for these hot peppers she would be totally fine now. :(

Kodigirl210

Don’t be too down on yourself. Hot peppers are normally okay for parrots and they love them!!

I’m glad it is something simple though. Aren’t you? I’m also glad to hear you have found pellets for her. That is the diet that will keep Candy the healthiest and give her the longest life.

She will still need fresh fruit & vegetable to supplement her diet so-the sprouts, kale, chard, papaya, mango etc but the pellets should be the main source of food.

I’m very glad to hear that everything is okay :D

Last edited:

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Btw guys can I talk how bad it is to live in a small bum town in eastern europe? Amazon doesn't ship to my country, there are no avian vets. there is 1 exotic pet vet ( which I went to) and all else is dog and cats. And at the vet they can only offer me analysis to see if they have parasites or not. Not even sexing. I was excited to see what sex is Candy but they said they don't have the technology to dna test.