• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I just being silly, or is this a legit concern to have?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So many parrots and pets in general go missing that I think if someone can identity a found pet, we are better for letting them have their pet back.

That bird seems too friendly a bird to have been a neglected/unloved bird.

I have a super cute and friendly chihuahua that strangers love. She has a way of finding the smallest holes under my fence. She hasn’t escaped in more than a year, but she is so small that she finds spots I would never see. She has a collar and she is microchipped.

She escaped once and I walked around my neighborhood asking about her. Two guys nearby told me they hadn’t seen her, then in a foreign language I have some knowledge of they began talking to each other about my dog. I UNDERSTOOD them.

Magically, my dog appeared a few seconds later running toward my house.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
@MnGuy I know. I'm not going to keep him if his owners come looking, I'm just worried that it might happen and asking if it's a concern I should have.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
This was a concern I had at one time, but from the other person's perspective. I was scared Dex would be stolen (,being a cockatoo), a nd be sold before I could find him. Imagine if you just got a bird for Craigslist or some other website, it was super sweet, and you fell in love. all of a sudden, a teenager (,I'm 19, but I'm short and look 15 or 16) came with the police and demanded you give him back. They'd likely think I'm too young for him, don't know how to take care of him, or am not commited. I have no doubt they'd fight for him.
I'm working on getting Dex chipped (my vet doesn't chip apparently):so I can prove he's mine, as he isn't banded and looks pretty much like every other cockatoo. The only identifier would be his reaction to seeing me, but I'm not even sure if that is legally binding. If he's stolen after he is chipped, I'd call every vet in a 200 mile radius and ask them to scan any newly bought cockatoos' for a chip. Even if the owner insists they bought the bird, scan. Id put up ads saying I'm looking for a young cockatoo. If the person selling it 1) doesn't seem knowledgeable 2) says the bird has no band, I'm bringing the police with me to visit the bird. If that cockatoo gets excited to see me, I'll have a vet scan it. Id go to the ends of the earth to find him again

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They can do DNA profiles now. It can prove the id of a bird but you'd need a blood sample & scanning is easier! Still maybe they can get dna from a feather or a toe nail clippig too & a chip can be removed!

Reactions: LSA

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@MnGuy I know. I'm not going to keep him if his owners come looking, I'm just worried that it might happen and asking if it's a concern I should have.
Yeah, I understand. Just sharing an experience from the other side of the table.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ooff, at this rate I may have to send Triss with him if his owner pops up.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
It really is a shame that birds can't wear collars with tags like cats and dogs. It'd make life so much easier.
My AV puts a tiny geometric tatoo in a specific area.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I'm working on getting Dex chipped (my vet doesn't chip apparently):so I can prove he's mine, as he isn't banded and looks pretty much like every other cockatoo. The only identifier would be his reaction to seeing me, but I'm not even sure if that is legally binding.
Best wishes!