• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I just being silly, or is this a legit concern to have?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
So, Steven was given to me recently by Micah, a friend of mine. She thought Steven was her Stevie, who went missing a while ago. Steven was found three weeks+ ago, and the vet he was taken to said he was likely outside lost for a month before he was found. Vets found no microchip, either, and said that he was likely under a year old. Now, he's found his way here and is living happily with my flock.

The people who found him still have his add up, and the spca has a file on him, which I totally understand and encourage, but I'm worried that he's becoming attached to my flock and what might happen if someone steps forward to claim him after he gets attached. He's already following Bull and Dorian like he's their baby and hangs out with Krem, ect. He's a very distinct looking bird, so I think I'd be able to weed out fakes and people looking for their bird who may look similar to him, but... Idk, I'm just worried about one day getting a message asking to return him.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
As someone who now owns a legit "found in the wild" rescue bird, I can tell you it is absolutely a legitimate concern to have.

Here are some things to consider:

If the owners do come forward and want Steven back, then that would be a good thing, right? I think we all would want to be reunited with our birds if they were lost, even if the birds had come to enjoy the company of other birds in the meantime.

On the other hand, if you feel like the owners weren't properly caring for Steven, you could always look into local property abandonment laws. It varies from city to city, but there is a time where the original owners would be considered to have forfeited any claims of ownership. This can be helpful if the owners turn up in several months, after you've been caring for him for some time, and demand his return.

Of course, there's always the "so sue me" response if they come calling. In which case, you could always counter-sue for any veterinary/upkeep costs you've accrued during his stay.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know if I found out that someone had my Koopa and decided not to give her back because she "fits into their family so well" that I would be devastated. If she was legit bonded to another bird at the new home and it WAS in her best interest, I might suck it up, but she was also friends with Jingo who STILL asks for her. So, there are always two sides to the coin. I am still looking for my bird years later, so it kinda depends on the people and how much they love and miss her.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
It sounds like Steven has made his decision. How are your birds responding to Steven? How do you feel about Steven? You might be surprised that the original owner(s) have Steven's happiness in mind, too. It's a difficult situation to be in, but it ultimately gets to be his and your birds' decisions. Steven is lucky to have found a home with someone who'll love and care for him and where he'll be happy.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I know if I found out that someone had my Koopa and decided not to give her back because she "fits into their family so well" that I would be devastated. If she was legit bonded to another bird at the new home and it WAS in her best interest, I might suck it up, but she was also friends with Jingo who STILL asks for her. So, there are always two sides to the coin. I am still looking for my bird years later, so it kinda depends on the people and how much they love and miss her.
True. I mean, if someone comes around with a legitimate claim to Steven and photos proving he's theirs, I'd feel bad for keeping him. This isn't about me not wanting to return him if his old owners are found, just being worried that it might happen and I'll have to give him up.

If the owners do come forward and want Steven back, then that would be a good thing, right? I think we all would want to be reunited with our birds if they were lost, even if the birds had come to enjoy the company of other birds in the meantime.
It would be a good thing if his owners were found, I'm not denying that at all. Just worried it would happen, despite me not seeing any signs that someone's looking for him right now. I thiiiiiiink by law I can keep him, as he's been out for more than a month, but I'm not sure if I could do that to someone.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It sounds like Steven has made his decision. How are your birds responding to Steven? How do you feel about Steven? You might be surprised that the original owner(s) have Steven's happiness in mind, too. It's a difficult situation to be in, but it ultimately gets to be his and your birds' decisions. Steven is lucky to have found a home with someone who'll love and care for him and where he'll be happy.
He's a happy boy here for sure.

I don't think I could keep him away from the flock even if I wanted to, tbh.

And I do like him. I noticed he's absolutely petrified of hands and reacts like Bull and Dorian do, but I think it may be because of his escape and capture and nothing to do with abuse.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Such a cutie!

I understand your concerns, for sure.

Just a couple of random thoughts here... it's been some two+ months (estimated) since Steven was lost. An ad and a file was started on him in hopes of his owners claiming him.
If I were to ever lose any of my birds, I'd be moving heaven and earth for their safe return....I'd assume Steven's people would be...or should be doing the same.

The longer this goes, the more likely that Steven has found his home...with you...:heart:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Unfortunately, pets are still legal objects subject to city and state ordinances. (I'm not familiar with Canadian laws.) Statistics show that most birds lost in the US are simply abandoned.
decided not to give her back because she "fits into their family so well" that I would be devastated. If she was legit bonded to another bird at the new home and it WAS in her best interest, I might suck it up
Have you spoken to the SPCA about this concern?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Have you spoken to the SPCA about this concern?

I was talking about my own bird that is lost. 3 years ago tomorrow, she escaped through a screen tear, I haven't seen her since, and there is no evidence she is alive. Yes, I alerted the SPCA and all of the shelters in a 60 mile radius when she went missing.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Such a cutie!

I understand your concerns, for sure.

Just a couple of random thoughts here... it's been some two+ months (estimated) since Steven was lost. An ad and a file was started on him in hopes of his owners claiming him.
If I were to ever lose any of my birds, I'd be moving heaven and earth for their safe return....I'd assume Steven's people would be...or should be doing the same.

The longer this goes, the more likely that Steven has found his home...with you...:heart:
I really do hope he winds up staying! The friend who brought him here basically went across the island and back three times for him. Once to get him, once to buy him a big new cage, and once to bring him here, not to mention her vet bills.

20180524_145952.jpg
20180524_145943.jpg

He had plucked his entire belly and both legs before she got him. No idea if it was habitual or from the stress of being lost.

You can hardly tell he plucked his tum now, and his legs are pin central.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I was volunteering at a bird rescue years ago. Occasionally, owners would contact us. We always told them to consider a 150 mile radius for 0-3 months.
Have you considered a found bird ad? Many newspapers and internet sites run free classifieds and some radio stations will make free announcements about found pets.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I was volunteering at a bird rescue years ago. Occasionally, owners would contact us. We always told them to consider a 150 mile radius for 0-3 months.
Have you considered a found bird ad? Many newspapers and internet sites run free classifieds and some radio stations will make free announcements about found pets.
There are already two or more ads for him stating he was found. Issue is that the island is only 10 miles (or less) by 31 miles, and it wouldn't be too difficult for him to fly here from anywhere off the island, including the other nearby islands and the mainland.

Archipel_Hochelaga.PNG

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That's why we told the OWNERS a 150 mile radius. Hopefully, the SPCA will search all shelters/rescued in a 150 mile radius from them.
I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of your end! Lots of people put up LOST PET ads, but few put up FOUND PET ads.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That's why we told the OWNERS a 150 mile radius. Hopefully, the SPCA will search all shelters/rescued in a 150 mile radius from them.
I'm glad to hear that you're taking care of your end! Lots of people put up LOST PET ads, but few put up FOUND PET ads.
I really hope they do! I don't envy them. There are tons of islands and surrounding places. Even if they have a database, oofffff.
:faint:
I can't even imagine combing through everything.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I might up the radius more than 60 miles but its been a really long time so either Koopa is with someone or unfortunately did not make it after 3 years in MI....

Like has been said sometimes people really get attached to them & are reluctant to look for the owner or even if they think there is a possible owner just don't contact them...

Hopefully Koopa found a safe place to land & is being well cared for...

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I really hope they do! I don't envy them. There are tons of islands and surrounding places. Even if they have a database
We stayed in contact with groups daily. You might be surprised at the distances birds travel! The networking was unbelievable! Without a doubt, if Steven's humans are searching for him, they'll find him! The longest a bird waited for her owners with us was 1.5 months.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I want to be clear... The longest a BIRD WITH A SEARCHING OWNER had to wait was 1.5 months. We had other birds that were with us longer. Remember, the AVERAGE bird owners stop searching within 2 weeks while dog and cat owners search for months.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I want to be clear... The longest a BIRD WITH A SEARCHING OWNER had to wait was 1.5 months. We had other birds that were with us longer. Remember, the AVERAGE bird owners stop searching within 2 weeks while dog and cat owners search for months.
I know Stevie's owner is still looking for her, but not everyone in the area really cares for their birds as pets. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Like has been said sometimes people really get attached to them & are reluctant to look for the owner or even if they think there is a possible owner just don't contact them...

Hopefully Koopa found a safe place to land & is being well cared for...
We always look for them here. We found and returned a fog last year (Even if I don't think we should have. Poor thing was filthy, dehydrated and starving, even though he'd only been out maybe 10 minutes when we found him, but we had already contacted the SPCA).

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It's always a concern that the owner is not taking proper care of their pet. Hard to judge from condition even after a week as a week outside in the elements could really affect them.

10 minutes no...

Still do we really know & is it a good thing to do...I'd say I would if I really knew they were a bird hoarder who kept the birds in small dirty cages & this poor bird had the luck to escape but many like Koopa are greatly missed.

Had to take a break as Penny was taking abath & needed refreshment with some ice chips!!!