• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I being selfish?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
And the more they want to be on you, the more jealous they are when another bird is. (Just as I typed that Itsy swooped over trying to land on Darby who is on my shoulder!) :rolleyes:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes! And I get bitten by #1 when #2 swoops in!

Yes, that sometimes happens to me too but by #2. I can usually block successfully and she keeps going but sometimes she lands on my arm and bites.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I have reason to believe that my lovebird, Leo was neglected as a chick and had bad human interaction for the majority of his life. While it is depressing there is nothing I can do about now except give him a long and happy life. Leo being neglected and having bad interaction with humans means he will most likely never be very cuddly. When I was doing research for a bird I was looking for a breed that would love to cuddle and spend alot of time around me.

I am not giving Leo away because though he may not have bonded to me I'm quite fond of him. SO I am thinking of getting another bird from a local breeder. I still want Leo to live a long and happy life and if in order to make that happen I can't cuddle him then I am going to have to settle. Would it be selfish to get another bird just because Leo doesn't want to cuddle or play with me?
As long as you allow Leo to have a happy life and can afford it, there is no reason why you shouldn't get another bird.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I would say that you need to give it time and get to know your bird better. You don't need a cuddly bird in order to have a really close, awesome relationship with a bird. In fact, I think cuddly is way over rated. You would be surprised at how much you will grow to love each other over time. Leo could really dislike a new bird, or the new bird could really dislike Leo, but of course the opposite could be true too and they could love be each other. You just never know, but I feel like you're not giving Leo a fair chance.
I’m not sure if I mentioned this or not but I was talking about another bird for next september, or probably further away. Not anytime soon

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I think once you’re financially prepared (and have given Leo some more time to bond), then you could do it. Birds are expensive. EXPENSIVE. I’ve spent at least $800 this month on vet care for my birds. You have to be able to afford the right cage(s), plenty of toys/enrichment, food, and vet care (avian vet). Don’t assume nothing will go wrong. And it’s only fair to make sure you can care and provide for another bird before getting one. And until you have your own funds, you’re having to depend on your parents. What if Leo (or another bird) needs the vet and they won’t pay for it? That happens all the time.

I’m not trying to discourage you from getting another bird eventually, just saying you should wait until you’re truly prepared.

My frightened bird and my traumatized bird eventually came around to wanting cuddles, but it was nowhere near 3 months. :) And lovebirds tend to be great cuddlers, so I totally get why you’d want that close relationship with one.
I am currently looking for a job sk I will no longer have to depend on my parents for support.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good luck! I have multiple birds, although I often wish I had just one (to spoil it rotten). Either way they are fun.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning so I’ve been kind of defensive all day XD sorry!
I understand! It’s okay. You’re getting lots of questions and instruction directed at you. :) We’re a passionate bunch.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Re: cuddly birds - it can be demanding being the #1 love target in a house with multiple birdies (I second the bit about jealousy!), but I do adore my cuddly babies. :)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Re: cuddly birds - it can be demanding being the #1 love target in a house with multiple birdies (I second the bit about jealousy!), but I do adore my cuddly babies. :)
I only have one cuddly bird and another who can't quite decide if he's a people bird or not. It is demanding, especially if you're trying to do something else and you keep having a tiny, squawking raptor jumping (literally) on your face so you'll pay attention to them.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It will benefit Leo to have another bird.
I think our situation was the reverse of yours and we ended up with the best case scenario. We started with an outgoing bird (Pistachio) and got a second who wasn't tame (Scott) but we got lucky and they became fast friends. At first Scott would go to the far side of the cage when we made any movement towards the cage and wouldn't even accept treats; just terrified. But he became more and more confident the longer he was with Pistachio. He is still fearful of hands but readily take treats from us, loves to step onto our shoulders and comes out of his cage to play as soon as the door is opened each morning. I think if 'Stachi had lived longer, Scott would have made even more progress. :heart:

There is always the chance that they may not like each other, but they would probably enjoy seeing/hearing one another even if they never interact. And hopefully one day they'll both bond with you, even if that means separate out of cage time. (Would that be too awful, ;)two birds that want your attention?)

..he was still a nippy snotball..
:coffeescreen:

A real bird friend would probably do wonders for him. The best chance of success for that happening would be a bird of the same species and about the same age. In your case I would consider another male because female lovebirds are notorious for causing a lot of problems including killing their mates.
:omg:I did not know this. Might be worth DNA testing Leo and your next bird? :scared2:

learning his body language, finding out what he likes and then providing it 'more.' Grabbing onto his chirp or glance at me and figuring out how to get more of that. Making silly noises until I find the one that he thought was a joke. When you do all that, you have begun to create a bond.
I really enjoy how you worded this. :thumbsup: Perfect.

I often wish I had just one (to spoil it rotten).
I'm pretty sure you do okay spoiling them regardless! :D

Last edited:

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I think our situation was the reverse of yours and we ended up with the best case scenario. We started with an outgoing bird (Pistachio) and got a second who wasn't tame (Scott) but we got lucky and they became fast friends. At first Scott would go to the far side of the cage when we made any movement towards the cage and wouldn't even accept treats; just terrified. But he became more and more confident the longer he was with Pistachio. He is still fearful of hands but readily take treats from us, loves to step onto our shoulders and comes out of his cage to play as soon as the door is opened each morning. I think if 'Stachi had lived longer, Scott would have made even more progress. :heart:

There is always the chance that they may not like each other, but they would probably enjoy seeing/hearing one another even if they never interact. And hopefully one day they'll both bond with you, even if that means separate out of cage time. (Would that be too awful, ;)two birds that want your attention?)

I did not know this. Might be worth DNA testing Leo and your next bird?
I am making plans to see if Leo is male or female, would two female lovebirds fight over territory?

also I'm going to be honest I am kind of hoping that Leo does get a little jealous if he hears me with another bird.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Female lovies have a bit of a bad rap. It is partly deserved: they are more aggressive and have been known to kill other birds who invade their territory. On the flip side, you can also get hens who are like this:

IMG_1498.JPG

Luna did take a little warming up to get used to Ani. There were squabbles when they were first introduced, and times where she would chase him around. I've never caged them together, and they still sometimes get separate out times if I think Luna is being a trouble maker. For the most part though, they get along great. All of which is to say, a male is more likely to be calmer and sweeter natured, and I would probably try for a male in your position, but don't be completely put out if you end up having or getting a hen. They are great birds with the right attention.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am making plans to see if Leo is male or female, would two female lovebirds fight over territory?

also I'm going to be honest I am kind of hoping that Leo does get a little jealous if he hears me with another bird.
I get what you're saying, though I think you more mean that you hope he'll be curious enough to come join in on the fun? A jealous bird is an aggressive bird. Trust me, those beaks are small but they hurt.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Female lovies have a bit of a bad rap. It is partly deserved: they are more aggressive and have been known to kill other birds who invade their territory. On the flip side, you can also get hens who are like this:

View attachment 261399

Luna did take a little warming up to get used to Ani. There were squabbles when they were first introduced, and times where she would chase him around. I've never caged them together, and they still sometimes get separate out times if I think Luna is being a trouble maker. For the most part though, they get along great. All of which is to say, a male is more likely to be calmer and sweeter natured, and I would probably try for a male in your position, but don't be completely put out if you end up having or getting a hen. They are great birds with the right attention.
First off that is one of the best lovebird pictures I have seen on this site, second what is the difference between a hen and a female?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I get what you're saying, though I think you more mean that you hope he'll be curious enough to come join in on the fun? A jealous bird is an aggressive bird. Trust me, those beaks are small but they hurt.
Yes that's what I meant, I wasn't planning on them meeting for quite a while.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
First off that is one of the best lovebird pictures I have seen on this site, second what is the difference between a hen and a female?
Nothing, hen is just the avian equivalent of saying female.