• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I being overly paranoid?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
2 months old is too young to pluck unless there is a medical condition. The picture isn't good enough to see accurately what's going on.

Your first responsibility as a new bird owner is to take your budgie to an avian vet for a check up to determine if she really is healthy and secondly to establish a relationship with the vet.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hello I got my first budgie today from a local pet store. I was told she is 2 months old and hence her underwing feathers are yet to grow completely.. I am worried because what I see under her wings definitely looks like a bald patch. Can you please look at the picture and tell me if she is plucking? (PS: this is the best picture I could click because she is not very comfortable with me touching her yet ) Thank you
A bird's "armpit" is not usually fully feathered. There may be a light dusting of down feathers covering the skin but usually they are thin because this is where the wing folds against the body. The area in your pic could be an extension of this thin feathering but it's hard to tell. A vet will be able to help you determine if it looks normal or not.