• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Am I being overly paranoid?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've already posted a few times about my concerns with Blu looked raggedy and loosing so many feathers so I am reluctant to ask again. But he really does look raggedy!

His shoulders are thin and downy, his rear end on top of the tail looks a bit odd. Kind of greasy and wispy. And he just keeps losing feathers. I see him preen and he preens ALOT, but never makes a squawk or anything. They just fall out. So I do mostly think it's just a really heavy molt.

But part of me just can't stop worrying and I'm considering making an appointment for a check up. The only reason I'm kind of still waiting it out is because I do see lots of pin feathers on his head. And...I'm still paying off our visit from 2 months ago. That one was $550 & he got an exceptionally clean bill of health.

What I'm wondering is...how can he be having such a heavy molt again , when he was already molting when I first got him on Sept 10th? Did he never stop molting?

Or is he having a 2nd really heavy molt so soon because his diet is better?

Is it that I changed the light bulb? (I think the 2nd molt started shortly after the light bulb)

Is it the heat in the house?

The dryness? (I just bought a brand new humidifier yesterday so I'm hoping that helps) I am just concerned that it feels like it's going on and on...

I'm a worried mom and I feel bad to keep asking when all you kind people keep telling me not to worry but yet...I can't help but to worry.

I love him sooo much and the thought that he may be over preening is making me nuttier than I already am.

I think the only thing that will set my mind at ease would be to have Dr Sakas tell me I'm being silly.

Am I being silly?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I do, Clueless. He gets a bath 2 -4 times a week, and last week I sprayed him every day but I thought that might be overkill so now I'm just spraying like every other day.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I do, Clueless. He gets a bath 2 -4 times a week, and last week I sprayed him every day but I thought that might be overkill so now I'm just spraying like every other day.
Does he get wet to the skin or just misted?

I never thought about it but my vet's office staff mentioned it to me once and said they could "tell" the difference in birds. Mine are soaked to the skin once a week ...I can tell they get itchy during molting when those pin feathers come out and the water seems to soften them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
When I mist him it doesn't get to the skin cause he kind of moves away and I don't want to traumatize him.

But when he willingly takes a bath himself, I also spray him while he's in there (he doesn't notice that I'm spraying him once he's in the tub) and he gets soaked to the skin that way.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think I mentioned that I had a cockatoo molt for over six months straight. Just when I thought it was slowing down it would start up all over again. My vet said a really long molt isn't a health problem as long as the feathers are growing in properly and there are no bald areas, etc. I think his long molt was because I greatly improved his health and diet after I got him, and his body wanted to replace his old feathers with nice healthy ones. When he finally finished molting he looked amazing.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think I mentioned that I had a cockatoo molt for over six months straight. Just when I thought it was slowing down it would start up all over again. My vet said a really long molt isn't a health problem as long as the feathers are growing in properly and there are no bald areas, etc. I think his long molt was because I greatly improved his health and diet after I got him, and his body wanted to replace his old feathers with nice healthy ones. When he finally finished molting he looked amazing.
I didn’t know you had a cockatoo, Deanna! That eases my mind a bit to hear that.

The only thing is...I don't see bald spots on Blu but it almost looks like it's close to bald. I just can't tell if new feathers are growing in properly. I think I won't be able to relax until soneone with more experience looks at him up close in person.

Now that I've got the humidifier going, I guess I will give it a week or 2 to see if that helps. If things still look how they are now, I will take him in.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Am I being silly?
You want the truth or should I just feed your unfounded fear?

Seriously my dear until you see an actual bare spot that is "visibly" plucked your obsession is going to drive you insane. We're talking a bonafide mental health issue.

I'm way more worried about you than I am Blu.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You know, birds can sense stress on humans. So being so worked up about this feather thing is not good for Blu, either. I vote you take him in if only to ease your mind, though I don't think anything is amiss. When Ophelia was plucking, the vet examined her and could see right away bald spots that I could not see. So I'm sure a vet will be able to spot right away if he's plucking. But for goodness sake, lol, if the vet says nothing is wrong, you need to believe him and move on.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You guys are the best! I instantly felt better reading those replies. :grouphug3:

In my heart, I feel like everything is okay too. But there was this one feather that I found yesterday on the floor that had a soft quil that was very odd. It sparked my paranoia again. I can't take a picture now cause Blu is sleeping.

I promise l will not obsess anymore. If by two weeks from now, I still have a bad feeling he's going to the vet. If it's plucking I just want to catch it before it gets bad. But I do feel much better now so thank you all so much. I really appreciate it!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Breathe, Breathe, Breathe in out slowly in out slowly in out slowly.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just stop watching him preen so much before he thinks its something he has to do to get your attention.
Its ok to watch but he may feel your stress. Some birds are just not in percectw feather. Rio is always hitting his tail feathers n they are ratty.

They came ratty 2 y rs ago n i guess he willnever have nice tail feathers as he climbs on the side of the cage.
You really do have to relax a bit as they feel the tension.

Poor rio knows something is wrong w me.
I take longer getting to him when i get up n hes started pooping on the cage bars.
I have to clean it before it dries n i dont feed him right away as then i have to feed myself to have the strength to feed him.
I yell curse n scream as i am frustrated n at the end of what i can handle. Guess he knows something is different but why hes decided to do this cage bar pooping isbalmost like punishing me but its gotten to the point where i want to strike him. I cant fanthom why hes started this but its since i got my foof broke which is very bad timing as just feeding n changing water is a real struggle.
I took the p erch out tuat he has uses tp to do his evil deed. I put it in hopefully better place n wont wake up to a bar full of mess tomorrpw.

I hate myslef for yelling at him but i really think he does it out of spite as i cant get go him quickly in the mornjng.i dont have the extra sttength tl to clean bars when i get up. Id rather feed him n give him water if he would just stop it.

Anyway the idea is they pick up on feelins
N it makes them only do it more....when you watch or make a big deal out of it.
:omg:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You have yet to show a photo in all of these threads of a bird with any sign of feather destructive behavior. If he was barbering, you would see feathers that are broken and snipped. If he was plucking, you would see bald patches. Birds never stop molting, and they will lose what seems like a lot of feathers every day. They also spend a considerable amount of time every day taking care of the feathers that they already have; they have to in order to survive.

Trust me when I say you will KNOW if he ever decides to pluck. It is something that even an unobservant owner can see pretty readily. Don't assume the worst; as someone who suffers from anxiety I am well aware that it's easier to say that than it is to follow through. But when you have an entire forum of people saying daily that you are worrying about nothing, listen :) And if you don't want to listen to us than the only other course of action is the vet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In my heart, I feel like everything is okay too. But there was this one feather that I found yesterday on the floor that had a soft quil that was very odd. It sparked my paranoia again.

Listen to your heart. :)

Sometimes feathers are weird. They are complex structures, and sometimes weird things happen. Think about an ingrown hair - is that cause for concern? 99% of the time, no! It's just something that happens! Don't stress about the 1% of the time unless there is other abnormalities - behavior, eating, etc.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know its not easy having these feelings as someone who is close to me also suffers from same! In a way it is good that you ask, as I'm sure you have everyone here to support you and your fid! Just take a few deep breaths... slow ones, and repeat to yourself... Blu is fine, Blu is fine, Blu is fine!

:hug8:BTW... Pilo loses feathers every SINGLE DAY!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You want the truth or should I just feed your unfounded fear?

Seriously my dear until you see an actual bare spot that is "visibly" plucked your obsession is going to drive you insane.
@CrazyBirdChick just so you know, you're in great company. .... I'm right there with you and my zon's are working on year 6 with me. I could tell you some stories. . . . John has had some blunt comments for me over the years too but I do value his answers.

We stress because we love them and as females, we take that stress to a greater height, worried that something we are doing is wrong. As the posters above mentioned, that's not good for the birds because they feel our emotions so well.

It sounds like you're going to relax now though. .... so just enjoy your feathered fellows company.