• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Airplane...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The decision to clip Milton was a very hard one. It was so difficult to watch Milty try to take off, then tumble to the ground, screaming in pain. Then he'd look back at me with such a questioning look on his face. We discussed the options with our AV. I couldn't stand to think of Milty being on pain medication.
I do feel we made the correct choice..hopefully sometime in the future, we can make it up to him by giving him back the ability to fly...

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It would be a lot to consider since it's still experimental. That's a scarey thing. I read this to Joe and crying while trying to read it!
Freddy flies through the room he's in he has a pretty good wing span if I see he can't get through doorways I will have him clipped to avoid injury to himself. I think he just makes it through a door though.
I really feel for Milty. His safety and comfort first, I am with you!:shy:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I love the Milton stories, so I went looking for the old ones!
They're all there...people have said I should compile the posts into some sort of book, but I really don't think there are enough of them to do so. Perhaps an e-book is more the correct venue...they don't have to be as large...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Freddy flies through the room he's in he has a pretty good wing span if I see he can't get through doorways I will have him clipped to avoid injury to himself. I think he just makes it through a door though.
Please, please think carefully before you clip Freddy....clipping should only be considered as a LAST resort. Birds are meant to fly, and they will get used to their environment, so they won't get hurt....

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Please, please think carefully before you clip Freddy....clipping should only be considered as a LAST resort. Birds are meant to fly, and they will get used to their environment, so they won't get hurt....
I know, one of my lovebirds kept running into doors and windows. I was afraid of him breaking his neck so I only clipped them the first season. By the time they molted, they knew the house so it wasn't necessary. The babies were born here, so they didn't need it. Freddy doesn't go far from his cage anyway, and he did fly through 1 doorway I believe it's the most narrow in the house and he was ok. I noticed he's also able to land well before the walls and closed doors. I don't think I will need to, but I only would for safety if it becomes an issue.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I know, one of my lovebirds kept running into doors and windows. I was afraid of him breaking his neck so I only clipped them the first season.
We lost Doodle (a tiel) in that way a few years ago. The birds were out- as usual- when a thunderstorm came in. Our lights went out, then a bolt of lightning flashed close by, which scared Doodle, who took off and flew into the window, breaking his neck, killing him instantly. :(
Since then, if the weather even looks like it's going to become inclement, the birds are put back into their cages, until the bad weather passes by...

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
We lost Doodle (a tiel) in that way a few years ago. The birds were out- as usual- when a thunderstorm came in. Our lights went out, then a bolt of lightning flashed close by, which scared Doodle, who took off and flew into the window, breaking his neck, killing him instantly. :(
Since then, if the weather even looks like it's going to become inclement, the birds are put back into their cages, until the bad weather passes by...
:sorrow: that's too bad, sorry to hear that!