• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Airplane...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just a reminder...I only relate stories about Milton's talking when there are other people who hear the same things I'm hearing...this is not the case here, but it was such a remarkable "conversation", I thought I'd share it anyway...

We were at the laundromat today, which is right across the road from the airport. A plane took off, and Milton noticed...

Milton: (staring at the plane taking off) "WAT DAT?"

Me: That's an airplane, Bird...a machine that can fly...

Milton: "NOT A BIRD...BIRD FLY"...

Me: Yes, birds fly...airplanes let people fly.

Milton: "BIRDS FLY...I FLY?"

Me: No, you can't fly, Milt...you have a boo boo, so you can't fly... (Milty had a non-tended to wing injury when he was young and for his comfort, we have to clip him)

Milton: "DAT BAD"...

Me: I know...I'm sorry you can't fly anymore...

Milton: (putting his head on my shoulder) "DAT OK"...

I don't know what to think about all this...such a depth of feelings from a bird...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:sad4: This would completely break my heart except I know what a happy bird Milton is. I truly believe he thinks it's okay. And that's because I think Milton knows all the other blessings that he has. I think Milton has an old soul. I often thought the same about Sunny. Wise beyond their years. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh what a sweetie! They know so much, and Milton understood that you feel bad about him not flying. I agree with @sunnysmom in that Milton knows how good he has it with you. Oh gosh...give him kisses from me...:heart:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart::heart::heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:sad4: This would completely break my heart except I know what a happy bird Milton is. I truly believe he thinks it's okay. And that's because I think Milton knows all the other blessings that he has. I think Milton has an old soul. I often thought the same about Sunny. Wise beyond their years. :)
I still really don't know what to think about this conversation. It was a very hard thing for us to have Milton clipped, even though we knew it was the right thing to do to ease the pain he had when flying.
I know he's a happy soul...but I also know he has to remember the sensation of flying...and now, he can't. :sad1:

I also agree with you, Michelle...Milty does have an old soul...and you're right...your Sunny had the same...:heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd had missing and deformed flights on one wing. He never could fly well because of it and he was always ashamed of the bad wing. He would stretch the good wing all the way out, then half stretch the bad one and many times bark a bit becuase it hurt. We always told him what beautiful wings he had and he loved to flap in place like a maniac till he was panting. I'd say FLAP MY PRETTY... and he'd go even harder. He would make emergency escape flights and short hops, otherwise he walked everywhere.
He was perfectly happy with his lot in life and loved me.
I think Milty is the same and is expressing it to you in his own way, he knows you mean the best for him and loves you too.

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
We have to clip Melon's wings due to her wing injury too when she fell out of the tree, so I totally know the heartache... but I think Milton truly knows that it was to help ease his pain. He whole heartily trusts and loves you very much. I teared up reading this. ;-;

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That conversation was astonishing!

Milty and you are blessed with the relationship you have :heart:

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Im so glad you shared this. Heartwarming ...he may miss flying but i think he understands you wouldnt want him to get hurt. I honestly teared up at his "dat ok"

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww, that brought tears to my eyes too! Milton is so sweet, so smart and so complex! Is there any way that physio and pain meds could help him fly pain free? I'm sure you've considered all the options...just thinking out loud. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
QUOTE="cassiesdad, post: 2587808, member: 3411"]I still really don't know what to think about this conversation. It was a very hard thing for us to have Milton clipped, even though we knew it was the right thing to do to ease the pain he had when flying.
I know he's a happy soul...but I also know he has to remember the sensation of flying...and now, he can't. :sad1:

I also agree with you, Michelle...Milty does have an old soul...and you're right...your Sunny had the same...:heart:[/QUOTE]

:hug8:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How does a bird come to talk with such understanding of what he is saying?
This is the question I have. I don't do any training- IDing objects and providing the name of the object...that sort of thing. Milty seems to naturally make the connection between object and the object's name.
I've watched videos of Alex and Dr. Pepperberg...how she taught Alex concepts, numbers, etc. I'm thinking about trying some of those techniques with Milty...just to see how it would go.
Is there any way that physio and pain meds could help him fly pain free? I'm sure you've considered all the options...just thinking out loud. :)
We had considerable conversations with our AV about the situation. We talked about different treatment alternatives, including a very interesting alternative of replacing the affected bones with small plastic "rods"! It's very new type of surgery (almost experimental), and at this point, rather risky. It's something that we will consider in the future, though.

The thought that we could give Milty back his flight is always on my mind...what a gift that would be...:heart:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow my eyes are tearing! How wonderfully lucky you are to have each other! :rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I often think of this conversation...particularly when I at that laundromat, as I was today. Milty didn't come...it's too cold, and besides, he wasn't all the way dry from his morning shower.

We had considerable conversations with our AV about the situation. We talked about different treatment alternatives, including a very interesting alternative of replacing the affected bones with small plastic "rods"! It's very new type of surgery (almost experimental), and at this point, rather risky. It's something that we will consider in the future, though.
We're going to talk to our AV about this procedure at Milty's upcoming annual...coming in May. I'd love to give him his flight abilities back...

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Such a reflective and pensive conservation with Milty, our moments and theirs extend deep meanings. Milty is indeed happy bird and has his blessings while wonders of flying. He's especially Gifted.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I don't know how i missed this thread. Milty understood you feel bad and wanted to comfort you.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Ahhh that was such a nice conversation. Poor Milton. He is adorable!