• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Still Not Himself

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Idk whether to be frustrated or happy. Still no REAL diagnosis.

Update:

Negative for the Aspergillus antibody, galactomannan and the EPH doesn’t support inflammation either. If the EPH was different, I’d suggest keeping him on the itraconazole in case of different fungi, but given that, I propose that we stop the itraconazole and see how he does over the weekend. As long as he stays as good as he is now, send him home on all the liver supplement stuff we’ve got him on and see how things go. Honestly, I was trying to figure out a way that you guys could get the itraconazole into him at home to send him home tomorrow, but if all he needs is the liver stuff, that’s pretty easy. He’s doing really well and my technician swears he called himself or her (she isn’t sure which) a “badass” yesterday and then did some crazy laugh.

I don’t know what the weather is supposed to be like this weekend, so I don’t know if you want to try to visit with the hope that he’s going home Monday or just wait until Monday with the hope that he really will go home.

Nicky P. Finch, DVM

Head, Exotics and Wildlife

Washington State University

Veterinary Teaching Hospital

PO Box 647060

Pullman, WA 99164-7060

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Your grandpa must have been a hoot....

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Im still very confused. Do you all think that he could have had just a failing liver? That it was failing him and he had lost weight over time and just got really sick from it? That now since they tube fed him and got his weight back up that it has helped him get better to the point that he can go home because he is eating on his own? Hes only been on the Milk Thistle for 10 days, is that long enough to show an effect? Sorry for all the questions. I was just hoping for a clear answer. Im almost scared to bring him home not knowing for sure whats going on with him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, if he had a failing liver and lost a lot of weight - he was in a cycle where he was starving. The lack of any, or enough, nutrients could have caused the seizures. It did cause them with my Hank (low blood sugar is one of the common causes of seizures). You can also learn to feed him by hand at home - he will be a mad bird until he learns to like it. The Milk Thistle acts very quickly and 10 days is enough time for it to show it's effects. He should probably be on milk thistle for the rest of his life.

Why can't you administer the Itraconazole? All you have to do is hold him and administer it by syringe down his throat - that's what they are doing at the hospital. The galactomannan test is a new one for me, but a little research and I found that like the asper-titer test it can sometimes show a false negative. In fact false negatives with the asper-titer test are not unusual. One of the common errors with Aspergillosis is that Dr.s/people don't treat it long enough.

Ask question, if you have any.

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Yes, if he had a failing liver and lost a lot of weight - he was in a cycle where he was starving. The lack of any, or enough, nutrients could have caused the seizures. It did cause them with my Hank (low blood sugar is one of the common causes of seizures). You can also learn to feed him by hand at home - he will be a mad bird until he learns to like it. The Milk Thistle acts very quickly and 10 days is enough time for it to show it's effects. He should probably be on milk thistle for the rest of his life.

Why can't you administer the Itraconazole? All you have to do is hold him and administer it by syringe down his throat - that's what they are doing at the hospital. The galactomannan test is a new one for me, but a little research and I found that like the asper-titer test it can sometimes show a false negative. In fact false negatives with the asper-titer test are not unusual. One of the common errors with Aspergillosis is that Dr.s/people don't treat it long enough.

Ask question, if you have any.
Ok well thats good to know that the liver support could be working along with the weight gain this fast. She did want him on the Milk Thistle from here on out.

I never told her I couldnt do the Itraconazole. She is saying because of the test she doesnt believe its necessary as we are giving it to him for no reason. Unless of course its a false negative like you said. Thats what scares me. I really started to believe it was the itraconazole that was helping but it could be the liver support and tube feeding as well. And to be honest, idk if I could do the tube feeding of the itra. That sounds crazy intimidating. Shoppa really hasnt been handled much until now. No way in hell hes going to let me wrap him up to put that tube in without the towel and an extra set of hands im sure. Then I would be afraid to hurt him or damage his throat.

She seems to think its not asper from the test. Sure hope we are not taking him off itra to only find out thats what has been helping.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Do you have a weight scale at home? You can monitor and get back asap that way

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a kitchen scale that you can get at Walmart for $10. INSTEN New 5Kg x 1g Digital Kitchen Scale Diet Food Compact Kitchen Scale 10lb x 0.04oz - Walmart.com You should have one at home anyway, so you can keep track of his weight. Weight loss is one of the first signs of illness in birds.

You wouldn't tube feed him, you would feed him with a feeding syringe. I use a 3cc regular old syringe.for food. Here is a video I did of giving my macaws meds by syringe;
. Same thing goes for giving them food and the skill is invaluable if they get sick and you need to give your bird meds.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Buy a kitchen scale. Put a small wooden perch on it, hit the tare button. Put Bird on perch. Done

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Glad to hear he is still doing well. I guess you should have your specific questions to the vetvto see what she thinks. I do agree tube feeding is not easy. But you can start syringe feeding him, even if it is just lightly squirting baby formula into his beak and he will swallow,this is not invasive and helps to also give meds if he enjoys it. It does have to be prepared at the right temp and given while still very warm.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Ask the vet about temperature if you have to give something warm. I know when I give warm foods to my guys I make sure it's like the temperature that you would feed a baby - so they don't get burned.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :heart: :hug8: :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a digital postal scale. I think mine weighs up to 5 lbs. and you can switch between metric weight and U.S. standard weight.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
how is Shoppa doing ??