• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for Parrot I'm boarding

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If that's a serious comment then please do not insult my dog, there's no reason for that. I am right there, they are fully supervised, the dog is under control, and the cockatiel could care less as it is grooming and not even paying the dog mind.
Somewhere on these forums is a thread about the many, many birds that have lost their lives to a dog or cat. It just takes a split second for the dog or cat to kill the bird. A simple paw slap can break their fragile bones it doesn't even have to be a bite . Each of those deaths had an owner that said my animal would never do that.

Those of us that have been members here for a long time have heard comments like yours from fellow bird owners with other pets beside birds that they monitor together.

It's like raising a teenager. We want teenagers to learn from our experiences so they won't have the pain we experienced. We say these things because we know the disastrous outcome that can happen and we love our birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I, like many others here, have seen the photos of parrots brutally torn apart by dogs that never hurt them for years and then suddenly something happens. So yes, it's a scary photo.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
that picture makes want to puke. it only take a shallow exhale for something to happen. whether you are in the room and sitting there or not. just hair's breath can end a life that quick.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't let the bird out with your dog in the room. Dogs are awesome, but this is a new bird to your home which you say is fully flighted. That means even if you put a pen around the cage, the bird can fly out of that area and either attack the dog or fly randomly and accidentally land on the dog which could freak out. Since this is not your bird to be taking chances with, please don't. Also, please don't put the cage under something else. Birds feel much more secure up high. If this guy is already stressed, the best place for his cage is secure on top of a table. If he isn't used to living with dogs at his regular home, then make sure the dogs don't get close to him.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Please don't let the bird out with your dog in the room. Dogs are awesome, but this is a new bird to your home which you say is fully flighted. That means even if you put a pen around the cage, the bird can fly out of that area and either attack the dog or fly randomly and accidentally land on the dog which could freak out. Since this is not your bird to be taking chances with, please don't. Also, please don't put the cage under something else. Birds feel much more secure up high. If this guy is already stressed, the best place for his cage is secure on top of a table. If he isn't used to living with dogs at his regular home, then make sure the dogs don't get close to him.

I would never let This parrot out with my animals as its Not my bird. That is why everyone else is telling me to let the bird out and I am telling them I can not simply just let the bird out. The pen is around the cage to give the bird some space from the dog, plus then I can store the birds food/treats under the table without the dogs getting into it. I know birds like to be up high which is why the table is set up. And she does have a dog at her home so she doesn't even care that my dog is there. My other dog is either crated or fenced into my bedroom when I'm home because that one is more excitable.

She is eating, drinking and talking regularly now, it took her a full 48 hours to settle in completely and now she is doing great. She is a little unpredictable about taking treats from me, I'm not sure why, I had posted another thread about her behavior but no answers. Thanks for any advice about how she is being kept but we have our schedule down now

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
She is a little unpredictable about taking treats from me
Hold the treat far enough away that she has to lean in for it, or just drop them in her bowl if you're worried about a bite. Since she's with you only for a short time I wouldn't worry about the why part of it.