• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for Parrot I'm boarding

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Hi! I am boarding an Amazon Parrot that I have never boarded before at my house. I picked him up last night and he hasn't been down to eat/drink yet or even to sit on the perch a stressed Parrot won't starve themselves will they?? Any advice? I tried treats, I put a 2nd bowl up higher in the cage so he doesn't have to leave the top and still be won't go near it....

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Eating means 100% of their attention is not on their surroundings. It makes them vulnerable. So yes, they often will not eat until they realize there is no immediate danger.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Is that his cage? If so he can have claustrophobia because that cage looks really small if he is used to a bigger one.
The perches are also to small/thin for him.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
His cage at home is much larger so the owners bought this as a travel/boarding cage since it would have been to hard to move the other cage...

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
His cage at home is much larger so the owners bought this as a travel/boarding cage since it would have been to hard to move the other cage...
And now he is just waiting for you to let him out so he can be in his big regular cage again. That is what I think is the problem.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Ugh well I hope he eats soon! His owners don't let him free roam anymore because he started getting aggressive so I can't even let him out for exercise with out risking getting bit

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Short of buying a new cage for him to board in any ideas or advice on how I could make him happier?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long is he expected to be in that cage while they are gone? I don't even think he can stretch out his wings fully in that. Can you imagine being stuck in a room where you were so cramped you couldn't even put your arms out fully?

Bigger perches, hopefully he will stop clinging to the side if he has something he can comfortably sit on. Also, are you feeding what he normally eats?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Short of buying a new cage for him to board in any ideas or advice on how I could make him happier?
Can't you let him out? It's not sure that he will bite you. You don't need to interact with him.
I would have let him out and safety a room and let him be cage free until his owner get back. To let him be in that small cage is very cruel.
And in Sweden that cage isn't legal to a budgie so perhaps you understand how small it is.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How long are you supposed to have him?

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Til the 29th if I let him out I would need to be able to get him back in the cage. He can't stay out 24/7. He is also fully flighted. Yes he is on his normal diet. We had a break through he went and ate out of the bowl I put in the top of the cage while we were eating dinner and is now sitting on the bowl. I will get him a larger perch tomorrow. I'll also get a 2nd bowl for water to put up top. I could also try putting the cage under the table because I have a pen around the table to keep the dogs back and let him out in the penned in area under the table.....

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Even if I bought a new cage, I don't get paid til wednesday, and if I Amazon prime it it'll come Friday and then he leaves Tuesday so I'm not sure that would be worth it

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Please don't endanger his life by putting him in the same room as your dogs, fence or no fence. Keep him in a closed room out free and you can amuse yourself on your tablet.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Except the only closed room he can be in is my bedroom so he can't stay be out in that room 24/7

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Except the only closed room he can be in is my bedroom so he can't stay be out in that room 24/7
No, but are you free sometime during the day? Maybe he could get three or four hours in there with you also being in the room. Even two hours is better than nothing!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most birds will return to the cage to roost and/or eat. I've been living with a Quaker who won't step up for me for 6 years, and another who is untame for 2, and I've never had an issue getting birds back to their homes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that he has started to eat. I agree with @saroj12 about not leaving him in a room with the dogs especially if no one is monitoring.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
FB_IMG_1503278186377.jpg FB_IMG_1503278193089.jpg My one dog is crated while he is staying with us. The other dog has not been left home alone with him I am either home or the dog goes to work with me or my husband. This is our "goid" dog with my cockatiel lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
If that's a serious comment then please do not insult my dog, there's no reason for that. I am right there, they are fully supervised, the dog is under control, and the cockatiel could care less as it is grooming and not even paying the dog mind.