• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting cockatiel

Jolene Rice

Strolling the yard
I saw a ten year old male tiel for adoption at my local human society, and I've been planning on getting a budgie soon, but I like this guy to, I have had a female tiel before but we had to get rid of her cause she was so LOUD! She was laying eggs a lot to does that have anything to do with it? Anyway I would like to get him would a male be louder than a female? How much attention would you say you give your tiels? Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Also would you recommend a budgie or tiel?

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
any bird can be loud, how often and the volume of their noise depends both on you and the bird.
birds are by nature loud. in the morning and evening they call out to their flock, which is when they are at their loudest. and during the day they can chirp, scream and sing to their heart's content. it's just a part of being a bird!

as pets, you as the owner can unknowingly cause your bird to be louder or scream more than they'd would normally.
to a bird, both positive and negative attention count as attention. so if, for example, you bird screamed and you went in to check on it, it learns that if it would scream it can get you to come over! a very nice outcome for the bird.
another scenario for the bird would be that it screamed, and, frustrated, it's owners scream back at it. to the bird that is very pleasant! they like loud noises and again they got attention from their owners.
some owners have trained their birds to ring a bell instead of screaming for attention.

however, the screaming is not the source of the problem. what is, is the cause for the bird screaming. most birds scream because they are bored and want attention from their owners.
a bird is a highly intelligent animal and should have a large cage filled with all sort of toys to fill it's day with enrichment. there's all sorts of toys for birds. chewable toys, foot toys, foraging toys, all meant to keep the bird busy during the day.
another way to enrich a parrot's life is by teaching it tricks!
in the wild a cockatiels is busy finding food, being alert and escaping from predators and strengthening bonds in their flock. as a parrot owner it is our job to keep a bird's day as busy and enriched because captivity does not get the birds to be as busy.

egg laying is a common problem among female cockatiel. when breeding season starts, even without a male, a female cockatiel's body is triggered to start laying eggs. usually a clutch of 3-6 eggs.
there are all sort of ways to reduce those hormones, such as letting the bird sleep longer ( 12-16 hours a night), avoiding touching erogenous zones and keeping the bird away from any nooks or areas that look good for nesting, and thus avoid having the female laying eggs, which in some cases can lead to egg binding which can risk the cockatiel's life.

regarding your question, males are more prone to singing than the female but both can and will scream form time to time.
seeing as the cockatiel you are talking about is 10 years old and is in a shelter he might have behavioral problems, will you be able to check if he does? and will you be willing to work to correct those problems?
adopting a parrot and giving it a loving home is honestly the best thing to do but it's not always easy. can you get information on his previous homes?

the amount of one on one time with a cockatiel is simply, the more the better! some days you will be able to give more, some less. but as long as it's consistent it should be fine.
however, it also depends on your bird. does he know how to play with toys and keep itself busy when you are not around? if not he will be miserable without you, and you should work and getting him to like toys. one way is hiding treats around the cage for him to find.

regarding picking a budgie or a cockatiel, that depends on you and what you would like from your future companion!
this forum has 2 very nice threads regarding the good, bad, and ugly of both parrots here and here

some more information about cockatiels here here here

and on budgies here here here

hope this helps! please keep us updated :)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Male tiels are generally more vocal than females, but it really depends on the bird. Egg laying shouldn't make a tiel any louder, it was more likely do to her environment and how she was interacted with. I let my tiels out of their cages for about four hours a day, broken up into 3-5 sessions a day. They are not alone for long, and they get a lot of interaction. Could you meet the tiel to see what he is like, and how you get along? It's always nice to give a home to a bird in need.

Jolene Rice

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the advice it's really helpful:) I will be calling the shelter tomorrow to ask some questions and see if I can meet him :D I'll keep you updated;)

Jolene Rice

Strolling the yard
And yes I think I will be able to work through problems that he may have, I am more experienced and prepared for a bird this time:) thanks again:D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so happy you're considering adopting an older tiel. My tiel was 15 when he came to live with us and he was the sweetest bird. And even though males are known to be more vocal than females, he really wasn't very noisy at all. It just depends on the bird.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As has been said, noise levels really do depend on each individual bird. In my own experiences, I've found male tiels to be more vocal than the girls, but even the boys aren't really that bad..think of 'toos and conures...NOW you're talking vocal power!

As for attention....my 3 tiels each have their own level of need for it. Sunshine seeks out human attention, interaction, whatever you want to call it. Igor will seek out attention on his own terms...and on his terms only. Mocha thinks humans are a waste of good oxygen. 3 tiels, 3 different personalities. :)

Hopefully, you will bring this needy tiel into your family....and remember, age is just a number. Goalie Tiel, our grand old lady, passed last year at the age of 25....and Igor Tiel just celebrated his 17th hatchday...:)

Last edited: