• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Cockatiels

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

Following up on TMS suggestion and Saemma's very thoughtful post about Cags. Here is the good the bad and the ugly about cockatiels.

The Good. I cannot say enough about their gentle ways and their playful antics. into everything all the time they are curious little trouble makers. The females also tend to be quieter and more timid but there are exceptions to that rule.

They are very friendly and highly intelligent. I am totally amazed at Sam, who actually was pissed off because Princess Mitch pooped in her cage. Sam is a non cage pooper and was mortified. She immediately went into Mitch's cage and pooped..like take that! and now at every opportunity, goes into Mitch's cage and poops, while she still NEVER poops in her own. Pretty smart if you ask me!

Maxwell, though not tame at all, was immediately aware that he was in a better place when we brought him home and he adjusted very quickly to the new routine and the new humans who were there to help him, almost as if he was grateful. Cockatiels can spend many hours running around and generally entertaining their humans as well as being very cuddly and affectionate.

The Bad.. Dander, Dander, feathers everywhere and dust all over the place. and LOUD. Let me tell you when a tiel screeches when you come home, it is DEAFENING..We love it but some might find their screeches to be very loud. Also males have a tendency to be a lot louder than females, I cannot believe h ow loud Lord Maxwell Studmuffin is. He calls many times a day for his girl and it is ear splitting. My mother in law can hear him all the way on the third floor of our house (we live in a totally separate basement suite in her house). Fortunately she is a bird person and doesnt mind one bit but I don't know how it would go if we lived in a regular apartment.

They are a lot of work, definitely. They indiscrimantely •••• everywhere and make messes everywhere they go. It can get annoying when there is always a tiel ••••ting on you. or being on you no matter what. There is no pace with a tiel around that is for sure. On the other hand, that is also part of their attraction. I believe there are an overwhelming amount of tiels in shelters and rescues because people don't realize just how much work they actually are and how loud they can be.

And did I mention egg laying? Of all the birds, tiels in captivity are the most notorious for becoming chronic egg layers and having reproductive issues. OUr Sam is a chronic egg layer..we have tried everything short of a hysterectomy and NOTHING works, not lupron, not any kind of hormonal injection, not 12-14 hours night, NOTHING. We are told the only thing that will work is to separate her from her mate, which would be my husband. And since that is not going to happen , we pray a lot. So far she is healthy like a horse but I keep thinking of those poor tiels that have been left to be egg bound and have other issues like the one that Sulieka rescued, and consequently died.

And did I mention biting? If you think it is fun to get bitten by a tiel, think again!!! We count our lucky stars every single day that Sam is not a macaw. ..as she is also a biter. The bottom line is I think you either have to be a bird person or not, and be prepared to be overjoyed and also annoyed. Some of the things I read about people giving up tiels for the stu pidest reasons just irks me all to hell..and PLEASE THEY ARE NOT A FREAKING STARTER BIRD..

Last edited by a moderator:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Anne. Very informative Do you realize that before this forum I would have never thought that cockatiels were all that dusty?:) Nor did I realize that I'd read so much about egg laying in this specific forum.:eek: Looking forward to the feedback from other cockatiel owners.:)

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
LOL! This is funny to me.

My boys...I have 3 of them....2 are loud. And one is that rare quiet male tiel. My 2 loud ones start singing around 7 each morning, in the dark. You'd think they wouldn't be making too much noise when it is pitch black in the room, but they do. Even my quiet boy can be loud sometimes. Currently, he is being hormonal and starts squawking around 6 and runs around his cage screaming. We do not know why. His mate, my female, is in the cage with him. She was overbred and has suffered physically from it, but it benefits me because she probably won't ever lay eggs again.

Wait..we were supposed to start with the good? :p

I love my birds. I absolutely adore each one of them. Kirk is kind of stupid (and I mean this in the nicest way possible)...he flock calls when noone will ever answer back to him, he is spastic when he is on the cage top, he chuffs and bobs his head each morning around 8, and he didn't learn to fly until he was 8 months old. He licks the walls, loves the mirror, and he sometimes gets so bratty that he runs away from us INSIDE the cage. Despite all this strangeness, Kirk is a beautiful bird who loves to sit on your shoulder and sing to you. He isn't the cuddly type, but he likes to hang out with us. Luna is our best and our worst. He was supposed to be a girl, and has a girlish name for that reason. He starts up each day around 7, chuffing, bobbing his head, and pacing, until he breaks out into a full-blown opera. He has decided that any bird that we add to our flock after Taz is not welcome. He decided that Taz was his and anyone entering the flock was threatening their "bond." Luna runs from us when it is time for him to go back inside the cage and he screams bloody murder when we catch him. But Luna is a sweetheart. He is a small sized bird with a big heart. He loves his scritches and he loves to hang out with us away from the cage and the other birds. Taz was also supposed to be a girl, but we waited to name hum until after his DNA results came back. He was also supposed to be a sweet cuddly bird, but he turned out to be a "he" and he also does not like human contact at all. Definitely not cuddly, but he is a beautiful bird and he is Allie's protector..and for that, I am very thankful. Allie is our rescue..the most perfect bird of all. The only issues we have with her is that she is very set in her ways (because she is older) and she does not stand up for herself as much as she should. When Luna comes after her, Taz will defend her, but if Luna slips past then Allie puts up a small fight before attempting to fly away. She is the sweetest of our birds and will cuddle and get scritches for as long as you choose to.

Basic list of good qualities:
-funny
-quirky
-entertaining
-can mimic
-smart
-cuddly (most tiels)
-easily adaptable (most aren't affected by change like larger birds)

Less than good qualities:
-males are loud
-they're extremely dusty, even with air purifiers
-messy, like all birds
-hormonal at least once a year
-they poop often...some birds are nice and prefer to lean off their owners, others decide any spot is a good place to crap

And I second this: cockatiels are not 'starter'/'gateway' birds. They are birds who require a lot of attention, make a lot of mess, throw you a lot of curveballs, and they live for up to 30 years. Does 30 years of ownership sound like 'starter' to you??? :eek:

My birds are annoying sometimes, but I wouldn't change my flock choice for the world.:laughing12:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I had a pair of tiels for years. What wonderful birds they were and they brightened the lives of three households. Here's how.

My dear friends got Blue and Lady as chicks and kept them for about 4 years until they had to move where they could not take the birds. They asked me and Gary to take them, knowing we wouldn't refuse. Lady died about 4 years later. We didn't know about necropsies at that time so do not know why she died. She may have been older than 8 because we were never positive she was a chick when our friends got her. Blue lived with us for a couple more years as a single bird but was a happy fellow. He whistled and sang for us every single day.

Another family we were friends with had 4 boys who always ran to see Blue whenever they came to visit us. The youngest boy, Brandon, would take Blue out of his cage and spend the entire time they were here playing with and talking to Blue. Blue just loved that boy. One day I asked our friends if they would like Brandon to keep Blue since they so enjoyed each other. They did so Blue went to live with Brandon who was about 8 at the time. Blue lived with Brandon for the remainder of his life. I think Brandon was a senior in high school when Blue died. We think he was about 16 but he could have been older.

I can't think of any negatives at all about cockatiels. :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
They can chirp really loud and relentlessly!!
Then the call is catchy and your whole grey flock could be doing the same! :eek:

They can be so so sweet.:heart:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Yes agreed tiels are incredibly loving, loyal and cuddly. The dander is no joke. I had 2. I would not consider them loud in terms of volume but they did disrupt many phone calls. Sometimes it was hard to work from home. Also they poop more than larger birds so it was really messy. The ugly is the chronic egg laying. My two were extreme. I absolutely loved them so I arranged life for 8 years around lupron shots every 3 weeks. The reason my bird lived 17 years was lupron. As much as I loved my tiels and crave that type of cuddly avian companionship....I don't know if I would own a female tiel again. I am too am against the term starter bird but do note interaction with tiels was a world easier than my medium sized birds. Having tiels 17 years did not prepare me for a larger bird. So I do believe it is best to have the bird you like and educate yourself. By easy I mean my tiels didnt bite and had great personalities. Easy doesnt mean in a cage with little attention.

I am forever thankful I had the love of my tiels...deeply fulfilling experience.

Last edited:

OzzieTheAlex

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lily
I have had 8 cockatiels in total, and I have notice they don't go through the same hormonal problems as some other species of parrot, mine did not bite or anything like that during they mature, and still was super cuddly when they were in their adulthood, they did not become more independent.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Oh sorry a correction. Lea did bite and fly after me with an open beak if I was within 3 feet of her cage and she had an egg. This lasted a couple days then she abandoned her egg for cuddling with me. Her egg laying was shut down for so long I forgot about the biting. In normal interaction I never considered getting bitten.

OzzieTheAlex

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lily
Oh sorry a correction. Lea did bite and fly after me with an open beak if I was within 3 feet of her cage and she had an egg. This lasted a couple days then she abandoned her egg for cuddling with me. Her egg laying was shut down for so long I forgot about the biting. In normal interaction I never considered getting bitten.
Oh, that's kind of sad.... : ( Is Lea still like that now?

i had mostly males (6), and they were super sweet and cuddly. Mine two females did change a little when they were in egg laying mood, mine was very easygoing so I didn't had a big problem with them. I guess every bird is different : )

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Lea is flying high in heaven. She died of cancer not egg binding though surprisingly.

The only time she bit was when she had an egg and not always. I was rarely bitten but my vet said her egg laying issue was beyond normal for a tiel. She was very very loving....so I always decided she was doing what was natural to protect her egg then she changed back to my cuddlebunny. I always forgave. Didnt happen in her last 8 years. Probably happened less than 10 times in 17 years. Couldnt ask for a better pet.

But in an earlier post I stated she never bit so I wanted to be more accurate once I remembered her motherhood bites.

Oh, that's kind of sad.... : ( Is Lea still like that now?

i had mostly males (6), and they were super sweet and cuddly. Mine two females did change a little when they were in egg laying mood, mine was very easygoing so I didn't had a big problem with them. I guess every bird is different : )

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I think you covered it, Anne! I have had 7 tiels in my days of having birds...currently I have 4 tiels, 3 males and a female. ( and a lovebird that completes my flock for now) the other 3 ( 2 males and a female) have passed. I love them - I love their personalites - all so different. In my experience, the 2 females are much more affectionate and cuddly. But also egglayers.:( All my males have been very, very vocal and LOUD! When one "flock calls" the other males join in! And yes...very dusty.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Let's see....I don't have much "bad" to say about my tiels! They are so sweet, funny and lovable. Sure they're very dusty, and -- like all birds -- messy. I get pooped on about a hundred times a day. But I'm done caring. :lol:
My two boys can get a little loud at times, but it's more shrill than it is deafening. Maybe I got lucky, but they never reach the volume of "••••, the neighbors are probably going to complain about that." The worst is when Moon sings to Freya, as it's a very repetitive "song" and drives me nuts. It's not that frequent though. I thank the gods that my male tiels are at least only intermittently noisy, rather than constantly so.

I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say about my female. She is quiet as a mouse, super affectionate and good-natured, etc. etc. Loves her head scratched. Whether or not egg-laying will become a problem in the future, we shall see.

Oh, I suppose another negative about tiels in general is their skittishness. Mine do startle very easily. For example, the doorbell rang the other night and startled one of them, then they all scattered and started flying around in a panic shrieking for each other. Sudden movements scare them, and they are prone to night frights so I have to leave a night light on for them when they go to bed. In some ways they are MORE neurotic than cockatoos, I tell you.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Following up on TMS suggestion and Saemma's very thoughtful post about Cags. Here is the good the bad and the ugly about cockatiels..
Can I please make a small suggestion? That there are some paragraphs added in. I'm really keen to read this but I can't read a big block of writing :( Don't mean to offend.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I also want to add , y es, I agree tiels can be very skittish. ..Sam is a real fraidy tiel..she flies off at the least provocation and has some pretty spectacularly scary night frights due to a small little fly in her cage.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Can I please make a small suggestion? That there are some paragraphs added in. I'm really keen to read this but I can't read a big block of writing :( Don't mean to offend.
no offense taken dear heart..I went back in and tried to paragraph o ut my response..hope that helps and that others are easier to read..would love to hear what you have to say too!!

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
Wow so glad you started this Anne! Hi all im am owned by 2 fabies one of which is Miss Diva Princess Betty :cool:. When Anne said there are always exceptions I know she was talking about my Betty:lol:.
Betty is a woman that knows what she wants and when she wants it which now is her Daddy {Hubby}. She will fill the house with her contact calls until he responds and then they get faster. The rest of us are her peasant slaves. She lays down the law with our gcc Dixie but also looks out for her too. She is loving and cuddly but also fiesty and stubborn. When she wants personal space you better give it to her or face her wrath :hehe:. She is dusty and gets highly peeved at me when i continually want to stick my nose on her and smell her. During molting it looks like it has snowed all over everywhere with her beautiful white soft feathers.
She demands a specific way of me showering her, baths are barbarek. She prefers her cooked num nums on a plate instead of in a crock, easier to keep her beak clean. Yes she feels she can poop anywhere she wants and really has no reservations in doing so :rolleyes:. She is my Ace flyer that now she has even mastered when she comes in for a landing she pauses flies backwards a second then lands. She HAS to get her 11 hours of beauty sleep and if she doesnt, watch out its demon hissy britches all morning. Even though she did the fav human swap I adore her and she is my heart bird and has been teaching me just how amazing, complex, intelligent, and wonderful being owned by them is :heart: They are mini TOOs and im so in love with them!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I can’t say enough good things about Cockatiels, such a loyal, affectionate, social, captivating, charming and lovable little bird they are. You really can’t go wrong with a Cockatiel, and having them has been one of the most rewarding experiences ever for me, they will truly lavish you with love and attention. :heart:

Bad? Nothing at all. :) I will add though, when you make the commitment to put in personal involvement owning a Cockatiel/or Cockatiels, the love and satisfaction WILL be returned to you tenfold.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Suchabetty-

How old is your Betty tiel? I've found that most tiels do not become 'set in their ways' until they're a little older (~4/5 years old). My current female, Allie, is very set in her ways. We're not sure of her age because she is a rescue, but we were told she was around 5 or 6 and that would make her 7 this year. She sleeps a lot though, so I think she is closer to the 10 year mark.