• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Abandoned Kitten

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Earlier today we saw a kitten in our bushes. He was there alone without his mother. We assumed that his mother was just out some where and would be back soon. Hours later, there is still no sign of the mother anywhere, and there hadn't been all day. It seems his mother abandoned him. We didn't want to leave him there, in fear that he'd starve to death, so we brought him in. Getting him was a bit tricky, because he was back really far in our bush. My dad didn't think we were going to be able to reach him, but I made it happen. It was hard, but I managed to wedge myself between the tree and reach my arms out enough to grab him.

He is a little grey kitten. Looks to be about a week old. Weighs about 5 ounces. We got kitten formula, but we couldn't find any bottles small enough. All the pet stores were closed. We will have to get through till tomorrow with a syringe. He is very skinny and he wouldn't eat much. Hopefully the little darling will make it through the night.

We won't keep him, my bestie Quinn will take him when her mom gets back from her trip to NYC.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He looks younger than 5 weeks to me. Poor thing.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Tip for feeding him with the syringe. Use your thumb not the plunger to regulate the amount of formula you give...The plunger is easy to force too much at one time. Use your thumb and you can barely move it and allow just dribbles through. :)

Thank you for saving this little guy. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
What a cutie. Thanks for taking him in :)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Poor baby. Hope his mother is okay. I wonder if he had any siblings? Seems odd to me that there was only one. Good luck with this little one.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Poor baby. Hope his mother is okay. I wonder if he had any siblings? Seems odd to me that there was only one. Good luck with this little one.
We have wild cats around the area and sometimes a mother will abandon a kitten (or even cull :depressed:) if she feels the baby is not strong enough to survive. One of the cats at my parent's house was one that was found by herself in a field. The only reason she was found was because she had good set of lungs and her cries for help were heard.

I hope this little grey baby pulls through! Some of our best and hardiest cats were ones that "found" us.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Awww baby! Thanks so much for saving him. :hug8:
I once took in, nursed and weaned three abandoned kittens. They were a lot older than this guy but still a lot of work to care for until they were weaned. From what I remember, the important things are to keep him warm, well-fed, and you have to stimulate him to go potty by rubbing his groin area.

It's so much fun to watch them grow, and they change so quickly. I know you aren't going to keep him but you are going to grow to love him anyway.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor little tykey..thanks for taking him in..I hope he makes it.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
It's also possible the Momma cat was moving her babies and something happened to her! (let's hope not). Are it's eyes open? If not than it's definitely under two weeks as they usually open around 10 -14 days. So glad you took it in and are taking care of it! You do know they also need to be manually stimulated to poo & pee since that's what the Mom does? Take a wet cloth (warm water) and gently rub their tooshies to get them to go.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Tip for feeding him with the syringe. Use your thumb not the plunger to regulate the amount of formula you give...The plunger is easy to force too much at one time. Use your thumb and you can barely move it and allow just dribbles through. :)

Thank you for saving this little guy. :hug8:

Thank you! I'll do this next time. :)

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy

We are also hoping his mother is okay. We are pretty sure his mother is Mama Black Cat, the beautiful black cat that lives in our area. She has many litters of kittens and she seems to be a very good mom. We are kinda worried something happened to her.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Awww baby! Thanks so much for saving him. :hug8:
I once took in, nursed and weaned three abandoned kittens. They were a lot older than this guy but still a lot of work to care for until they were weaned. From what I remember, the important things are to keep him warm, well-fed, and you have to stimulate him to go potty by rubbing his groin area.

It's so much fun to watch them grow, and they change so quickly. I know you aren't going to keep him but you are going to grow to love him anyway.

It is fun to watch kitten grow! A few years ago I had a cat named Chloe. One day she got out and got herself pregnant. Two months later she had four beautiful little girls. Pryn, Prilla, Clara, and Fussy. I loved them so much! They grew so fast! It was heart breaking when we sold them and never heard from the owners again. Thankfully, this little one is going to my best friend. So I'll still be able to see him all the time! :)

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
It's also possible the Momma cat was moving her babies and something happened to her! (let's hope not). Are it's eyes open? If not than it's definitely under two weeks as they usually open around 10 -14 days. So glad you took it in and are taking care of it! You do know they also need to be manually stimulated to poo & pee since that's what the Mom does? Take a wet cloth (warm water) and gently rub their tooshies to get them to go.

His eyes are open.

And yup! I know! I've been doing that.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
His eyes are open.

And yup! I know! I've been doing that.
COOL! So many people don't realize they have to do that! Daughter had a friend that kept boasting about a kitten they took on this young and the look on her face when she was told she'd have to do that!

They are SOOO cute at that age too!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
If you need any help with him, let me know. I've bottle raised a ton of them. Some from day one.