• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Sad Tragedy, A New Beginning

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@Shezbug thank you so much for your reply! I appreciate that you care. :) I do take well care of my parrots but I can not bring them into any of the rooms in my home. Not even my own bedroom because it’s in the basement and it gets really cold in the winter so I don’t want them to get cold. I am able to let them out a couple of times to play around their cage and let them get some exercise. My parents are strict about having them flying around the house, they like to have a clean house and not a house full of bird poop. I do try my best to clean up after my parrots even though they are potty trained and not leave any feathers or poop behind. My dad does think it is a good idea to get a harness for my parrots and a good thing is that I already have a big travel cage for the 3 of them! It’s just that I feel bad letting them just sit in the cage outside while they look at the birds flying outside. I want them to be free and safe at the same so I’m deciding to save up my Chinese New Year money this year to get myself a harness. :)

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@FLmom thank you for your reply! :) I totally agree with you. There’s still training to be needed if you purchase a harness but I am determined to get them trained properly before letting them out on the harness. I still use my travel cage if I’m taking walks or when I’m going somewhere. :) I won’t use the harness all of the time. I’ll probably mostly use it on my Lovebird because I’m a bit worried that she’ll fly away since it’s going to be her first summer in my back yard. I can’t wait to take them out in the summer though! :)

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@taxidermynerd thanks for your reply! Before I got my Lovebird, I let my budgies go out in the summer to let them bathe on my water fountain when it’s really hot. They don’t like being sprayed so much. They’re more independent. But they loved it sooo much. I’ll see if I can post a picture of the two bathing and having fun. I don’t want to take their freedom away just by keeping them locked up in the travel cage but I know it’s the safest thing to do. :) I’ll think about my choices.