• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Sad Tragedy, A New Beginning

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
Hey everyone, so I know I just joined recently but I decided to tell everyone about a sad tragedy that happened to me. So before I got my budgie Niko. I had a year old blue budgie named Sammy who I bought with Bubbles my green budgie. I brought Sammy and Bubbles home for the first time. I fell in love with taking care of them with my little sister. I learned to trim their wings in order to take them outside in the summer to let them run around. But one day I took both of them outside, I noticed that Sammy's wings were slowly growing back faster than Bubbles. I didn't think she would be able to fly high enough to go over my fence but I was wrong. I turn over for a minute and back to see Sammy flying over our fence. I screamed and ran after her but I was blocked by my tall fence so I had to ask my dad to give me a boost. Turns out as soon as I jumped down from the fence, Sammy was getting chased by a cat. I started chasing after the cat but I was too late to save my baby :(. Sammy got carried away by the cat and disappeared. I felt a stab in my heart and bursted into tears. I was so devastated and upset that I tried looking for him for almost an hour. But I finally lost hope that he had been taken away. I was too upset to talk to anyone and I wanted to be left alone for the next 3 days. Until I finally was able to get a new budgie that I named Niko who made me feel happy again but there was still a missing part of Sammy in my heart. I still remember him to this day and thought I would share this with you guys because I know a lot of parrot owners lose their parrots. Please if you lose your parrot, don't give up! I've kept this pain in for a long time until now I decided to share this with you guys. I miss him so much but I know that he's happy in birdy heaven. I love you Sammy.:sad1::princessblue:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:sad1: How awful! Sometimes we do learn things the hard way, and it's so devastating when our birds pay the price for it. :sorrow: Sadly, clipping is not the safety measure it's so often touted to be and the only way we can keep our sweet fids safe outdoors is with the use of a harness or secure carrier. I'm so sorry you suffered such a traumatic loss like that.

:sadhug:

I know that must have been hard to type out and thank you for sharing... your story may help save someone else's bird from a similar fate.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sammy will always be safe in your heart.

Life does play out in unusual ways. After Cassie B passed, I began working with a rescue in Ohio to adopt another 'too. At the time they had 2 'toos at the rescue, a G2 and a LSC. (Cassie was a LSC)

I decided that the G2 was the bird for me...the LSC, although so very cute, reminded me too much of Cass. Anyway, we filled out applications, provided references, etc...the usual procedures needed. After two weeks, we were approved...but, in that time, the G2 had been adopted. I was crushed...and felt like I'd lost another bird, even though we never physically had her in our home.
I decided that we weren't going to adopt a 'too at that time. My wife, unbeknownst to me, called our AV, who contacted a rescue in New York that had a U2 for adoption..and on our AV's referral alone, offered to adopt the bird out to us ...sight unseen.

That U2 was Milton, of course...like I said, life does play out in unusual ways...

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm so sorry this happened. It is devastating to lose a flock member.
Maybe you could just allow them to fly in the safety of your home if you allow them to have free flight and not clip. :sorrow:

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I understand that you mostly need a harness provided to take them outside. I'm trying my best to find myself a harness but they are all over pried for me and I wouldn't be able to provide one for all 3 of my babies. I'll keep trying to find something though.:joyful:

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@Feather Thank you so much for replying. I honestly didn't think anyone would reply. I'm trying my best to find a not over priced harness for my birds but so far finding one is really hard. I'll keep researching and do my best!:smuggrin:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I let my budgie fly around the largest room of my home (not free flight through the whole house because I have a dog), maybe that could work for you. When I take my budgie outside, I have a smaller cage I take him out in, so he's safe and contained but he can still get some sun and fresh air. Works like a charm!

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@cassiesdad I agree totally but I just hated that it had to happen to my Sammy. :( When i brought her home, I only had her for 3 months and she was gone.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me as well. i appreciate it. :)

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@Fergus Mom Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate the help. :) I'm trying my best to let them free flight around my house but I have no permission from my mom and I don't have any extra rooms that they would be able to fly in. I'll see what I can do. :):swoon:

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
@taxidermynerd Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate your help. :) I am trying to let them free flight around my house but my mom doesn't give me permission to so I'm stuck. I also don't have any extra rooms in my home to let them fly around. I'll see what I can do and then I'll try it out! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do you have your own bedroom? If so maybe just let your budgie fly around in your room then no one else will be bothered about your bird pooping everywhere and the chances of getting let out accidentally or harmed will be greatly reduced.
Maybe there is someone on this site that has a harness (budgie size) that they do not need or use? I wonder what the chances are that you may be able to get a second hand one for less cost than a new one. I thought they were over priced but I really wanted to get one any way and I am still more than happy that I spent the money I did on my harness......my bird has gained so much from being able to safely go outside with me for a few minutes every few days. I am thinking you are young so if I am right you may be able to word all your family members up and let them know you really want to purchase a harness, maybe they could give you the money for your birthday or for doing some extra chores?
I am sorry you had the horrible experience of loosing your bird the way you did, that must have been awful for you.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Oh wow I’m so sorry you had to experience that. What a horrible thing to have witnessed happen to something you dearly loved. I know your intentions were good in allowing them to have outside time but budgies are just too tiny for that even with their wings clipped to the point they really can’t fly. Well honestly it’s dangerous for any parrot but budgies are so tiny. A harness sounds good but having three budgies all on a harness still won’t be that safe. Dogs/cats and larger birds of prey and still get to them. Also there is the training them to wear a harness issue.

How about an outdoor flight cage? Or even an outdoor carrier that you can sit outside with them in. I have a travel cage I put kai in and we go sit outside together. He loves that. He usually takes a bath in there and has all his messy treats I don’t normally let him have in the house. Like pomegranate seeds and raspberries. But I never ever ever EVER leave him outside unattended. Even in a locked cage. But you can mist them with a spray bottle and they would love it. It has to be a warm sunny day ofcourse. I love in Florida so most days are warm enough for that here.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
But you can mist them with a spray bottle and they would love it. It has to be a warm sunny day ofcourse. I love in Florida so most days are warm enough for that here.
I did this with Chirp this past summer, we had been outside all day (burning off our new stove) and it was probably a good 80 degrees in the shade (we had been sitting in the car). Chirp was in a travel cage (think a "budgie" cage) and after he got some sun and had a car ride I turned on the hose, on the mist setting (it's a very fine mist). He hates baths and showers normally but he loved this. I don't take him out often (weather doesn't jive most days) but this was a great experience for him.