• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A question about sprouts

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I feed my Dusty sprouted seeds but rather than use packet stuff, I buy human grade seeds from an ethnic grocer...works out cheaper, its fresher and less likely to be harbouring toxic sprays. I sprout wheat, buckwheat, hulled sunflower (sprouted the fat becomes more healthy) lentils, mung beans adzuki beans, and vary the taste with fennel, celery, mustard seeds and corn. I also feed her a small amount of low fat pellets to ensure she gets all her vitamins and minerals etc.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I recently got a pair of scarlet-chested splendids. The woman who I got them from told me that they love sprouted seed and gave me some seeds to sprout. She was right! They went for them right away. (My other birds, however, all turned up their beaks at them.)

I love the taste of sprouts myself and was considering doing sprouts a couple times a week, but I have been reading online about the danger of contamination, even to humans.

Now I am not sure if I want to go ahead with my home sprouting operation. Do you all feel that it is safe?

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I recently got a pair of scarlet-chested splendids. The woman who I got them from told me that they love sprouted seed and gave me some seeds to sprout. She was right! They went for them right away. (My other birds, however, all turned up their beaks at them.)

I love the taste of sprouts myself and was considering doing sprouts a couple times a week, but I have been reading online about the danger of contamination, even to humans.

Now I am not sure if I want to go ahead with my home sprouting operation. Do you all feel that it is safe?
If the seeds are sold for human consumption, what would be the contaminant? Use clean equipment, and rinse seeds well. Refrigerate as needed. It is really not that hard.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
The best way to clean the sprouts is to rinse with apple cider vinegar. It kills off all the bad stuff. I have been sprouting for about 10 years and the birds get them daily

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My birds get sprouts daily. Just make sure you keep everything clean, rinse and dry them well, and use after 2-3 days.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I think my concern regarding a contaminant would be something like e coli. And I worry about the development of a mold while they are sprouting in the humid container.

The apple vinegar would probably set my mind at rest. I already have a ton of white vinegar that I use on their dishes, perches, and cages. Another bottle won't phase me.

How many days do you all usually let the sprouts sprout before feeding them to birds?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Mine Sprout for two days. I'm lucky that I live where it's cool and dry, so mold doesn't grow too quickly. I also rinse my sprouts four times a day in cold water, and drain very well. If your house is warm, your sprouts might be done sooner. You only need a tiny tail showing from the seed.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Regular white vinegar does work also. I use it when I don't have apple cider to clean my fruits and veggies. I think about all the people in the grocery store feeling the fruit for the right ripeness and then leaving them there. Oh so gross

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Where they do become any risk. Does depend on your practice and climate.
I leave out all day and all night. So 24hrs, and have had no issues, in all the time I have been sprouting.
24hrs!!! Right.
Sprouts are living plants, and will continue to grow as long as they are not damaged or dried out.
Those who are scared by claims of bacteria need to consider. Bacteria is both good and bad, and around us every day.
For those who are really scared off by those who keep going on about this.
You can try this. It is simple and will give you a handle on things.
Sprout, but do not put them out for your birds. Put them in a tray the same as you would, if feeding them out, and check them every hour or so.
Ok it may not be immediate that you will notice any change but you should be capable of noting changes.
The three tests are smell, feel, taste.

They are the same as undamaged fruit, they DO LAST in most climates.
It is once you cut things up that they can deteriorate quickly.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I think my concern regarding a contaminant would be something like e coli. And I worry about the development of a mold while they are sprouting in the humid container.

The apple vinegar would probably set my mind at rest. I already have a ton of white vinegar that I use on their dishes, perches, and cages. Another bottle won't phase me.

How many days do you all usually let the sprouts sprout before feeding them to birds?
There should not be a humid environment?
They will even sprout in the fridge. If you have that sort of climate. Once soaked, rinse and put in the fridge.
Open strainers are better that closed plastic sprouters for this, as they allow better air flow around the sprouts.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Flyover...I get that you're worried about contamination with sprouted seeds...I used to use GSE or cider vinegar ( a half teaspoon) in the soaking water but recently I have stopped doing it....it seems to me that if you sprout small amounts, and rinse often (I do it every time I go into the kitchen for a drink) they don't spoil. Also if it gets hot here (our climate is like Californias so they say) I put the sprouting seeds in the fridge during the hot part of the day...it doesn't kill them as they get back to growing once out in the warm air....if they smell or you're worried fling them out...better safe than sorry