• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A question about sprouts

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
I sprouted a mix of mung beans, lentils, sasume seeds and some other grains.

As was said, when their tails popped out they had a nice earthy smell.

I now tried to sprout some seeds from my cockatiels seed mix. It has millet, , sunflower seed and safflower seeds.

I did read that after soaking you should get rid of the seeds that float, because those have died and will not sprout. And I did that.

As well as following the same schedule as I did for the lentils. Soak over night than strain and wash 3 times a day.

After sprouting it has a different smell. And I wondered if it's because it's seeds sprouting instead of lentils and grains. Or if it's because the seeds have gone bad? Doesn't smell sour or bad. Just different.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They do smell differently, just as they all taste differently. Same as different flowers or fruits growing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Do your birds like the sprouts? You can try wheat berries too, my tiels LOVE wheat berries!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
If it doesn't smell sour you are probably fine. I like to spray mine with a little apple cider vinegar before rinsing to get rid of any bad stuff that may be developing. How do your birds like them? Mine love their sprouts and get them daily.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Is it a seed mix you made yourself - or is it a packaged one that has some supplements added to it?
All the extra stuff makes sprouting that a mess and you should just use clean untreated seed to sprout.

datlamb

Do your birds like the sprouts? You can try wheat berries too, my tiels LOVE wheat berries!
they didn't touch the bean and lentil sprouts! haha. i'm still trying though

If it doesn't smell sour you are probably fine. I like to spray mine with a little apple cider vinegar before rinsing to get rid of any bad stuff that may be developing. How do your birds like them? Mine love their sprouts and get them daily.
i put the seed sprouts in their food dish yesterday evening and today i will go check today if they ate them :)

Is it a seed mix you made yourself - or is it a packaged one that has some supplements added to it?
All the extra stuff makes sprouting that a mess and you should just use clean untreated seed to sprout.
it is a packaged one, however on the ingredient list there are only seeds. no vitamin additions or anything. is it still bad to use? i've no idea where to get the seeds only.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
it is a packaged one, however on the ingredient list there are only seeds. no vitamin additions or anything. is it still bad to use? i've no idea where to get the seeds only.
you could use it, but it may be too old to have a good germination rate, they will float only if empty or dry not necessarily if they are dead.
get seed from someplace like Whole Foods or VitaminCottage
here's a list of suitable seeds for sprouting and just LOTS of good info
Budgie Parakeet Food and Feeding Recommendations

datlamb

thanks so much for the link @MommyBird !! i'll read it right away!

i checked on the sprouts today ( i already put them in the food dish) and the birds didn't touch them but they kept on growing and smelled the same, so i'm leaving them in for another day, hoping they may show some interest in them.
i think that tomorrow noon or evening i'll throw them out. i don;t wanna leave them there for too long and i already started germinating some more .

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are you leaving them in their food dish? You should remove them and toss after a few hours. Only one of my birds likes the lentils and beans, the rest really like wheat berries, niger seeds, and millet.

datlamb

Are you leaving them in their food dish? You should remove them and toss after a few hours. Only one of my birds likes the lentils and beans, the rest really like wheat berries, niger seeds, and millet.
i left the seed sprout in there because i read that it's ok because it's live food that keeps growing.
if i sprout more lentils and the like i will throw them away after a few hours

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yea I agree to toss them if they aren't eaten. I put mine in the bowl in morning and take out bowl when I get home from work. Usually they all been eaten by lunch. To encourage them to eat just mix with what they like. If they like regular seed then mix with some unsprouted seed and they should start to pick. Also try sprouting millet sprays. Birds like them usually. Takes longer than regular sprouts to grow usually unless you can find some very fresh.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can put out only what will be eaten in a few hours, the rest you can store in the fridge for up to three days.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Leaving fresh food, like sprouts, in a dish invites bacterial growth. That's why you should only have fresh available for a few hours, max.

datlamb

I see. Thank you everyone very much! The sprouts dish has been emptied and thoroughly cleaned.
I just hoped to leave it a bit longer to see if it sparks any interest.
Im sprouting some more seeds right now so when I'll offer them I'll mix them with regular seeds and see if they like it. And remove them after a few hours :p

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
trying offering them alone with just sprinkle of regular seeds to the top of the sprouts. it's great way getting them to start tasting the sprouts.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
The thing with birds is that there is always waste. If you gathered up all the food they ignored or spilled on cage bottom or about the room, it could drive you mad. It is nice when they clear their bowls though.

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
When you sprout smell, feel, taste.
Get used to what they are like.
When you say smell. Rinse and tell me what colour the water is.
As for where you leave them out all day or not, depends on their condition when served and what climate you are living in.
Very hot, then I would not leave out more than 1/2 day.
I leave mine out all day and all night, and have no issues.
What we seem to have missed above, is to make sure you are rinsing often enough.
Yes, most seed mixes will not sprout very well, and some are so poor quality that you will see them go off, as quickly as, in the soaking early sprouting process.
Not to mention adulterated ones.
Viable seed is not treated in any way, where imported normally is at least heat treated. And other methods like radiation to stop it from sprouting.
So where you buy and what you sprout will make a huge difference to your results.

As for getting them to try. I have found nearly all the birds I have dealt with take naturally to them.
Just keep offering. And for now at least, I would only put them out in the morning, and throw away after two hours.
This makes sure they are really fresh.
Once they are used to eating then you can extend the time you leave out.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Summer sprouts can be harder. I refrigerate mine after just a couple days of growth. Some seeds produce a sort of mucilage slime coat, and that is ok, but a slimy batch of say, alfalfa is no good. Practice makes perfect. I serve sprouts every day, for both the chickens and the indoor pet birds.

I toss all uneaten seeds and bird food into the worm bin.

datlamb

@javi I don't mind the waste. I mind them not eating healthy. I'll be more careful now though and practice more patience.

When I sprout I soak the seeds for 12 hours, than wash and drain, leave them in the strainer over a bowl and cover it with a damn towel. Than I rinse 3 times a day. I think that the water comes clear but I'll try and pay better attention next time. They are in the kitchen which is well ventilated and had the AC working for most of the day.

Yesterday I forgot the sprouts in the hottest part of the house and today I got to smell what spoiled sprouts snell like, haha. Very sour smell. When I poured them into the trash the smell was even stronger. Now I know :p

They sprouted very well though, all had nice tails. I'll take pictures next time.