• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new adventure on the horizon

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sydney is a Severe Macaw. The thought of state restrictions never even occurred to me...thank you for the reminder! See, this is why I love this place!

I've already put in the request for his vet records. I may need a transport truck just for his file...lol...should prove to be pretty hefty, with all the issues he had when I first got him. I already have my sister investigating avian vets in the area, too, so that I will have some idea where to go if need be, before it's time for his yearly well birdie exam.
IF you end up coming through IL (though I don't know why you would) and might need help, PM me before you leave and I'll give you my cell # as an "in case". Couldn't hurt)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Most of the "family" restaurants would allow me to bring the bird into the restaurant but the cage had to be covered and they always seated me in an out of the way place. I would explain I could not leave them in the car because of the heat or cold and they were usually quite accommodating. Of course, most of the managers wanted to see the bird before allowing the little travel cage into the place, but I never had a bad experience. If they said yes, it was no problem and if they said no I went some where else.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Think it would be hard to sneak a severe into any place.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
Yeah...he's not too easy to sneak into anywhere, I wouldn't think. But then, I've never tried. I've actually gone into quite a few places with him right on my shoulder, lol. One time, there was a large group of us, all dressed as pirates (we were on our way to RenFaire), with 4 birds between us. All macaws! The wait staff was completely fascinated...and people were askin asking all sorts of questions about the birds.

Of course, I would never assume that all places would be that accommodating.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
That is the reason I always ask before I bring the bird in. If they are accommodating, then everyone is happy; and if they say no, fine, they do not get my business. I had one manager bring a piece of plain toast for my Senegal and ask is she could give it to Sunny. I told her she could but that Sunny would not touch it unless she put some strawberry jam on it. The manager laughed her head off, put the jam on the toast and Sunny enjoyed eating and destroying the entire piece of toast while the manager watched, fascinated.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
That is the reason I always ask before I bring the bird in. If they are accommodating, then everyone is happy; and if they say no, fine, they do not get my business. I had one manager bring a piece of plain toast for my Senegal and ask is she could give it to Sunny. I told her she could but that Sunny would not touch it unless she put some strawberry jam on it. The manager laughed her head off, put the jam on the toast and Sunny enjoyed eating and destroying the entire piece of toast while the manager watched, fascinated.
Sometimes it is all about getting the non-bird people involved. Many people are just as fascinated by birds as we are - they've just never had a chance to really interact or meet/greet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yeah...he's not too easy to sneak into anywhere, I wouldn't think. But then, I've never tried. I've actually gone into quite a few places with him right on my shoulder, lol. One time, there was a large group of us, all dressed as pirates (we were on our way to RenFaire), with 4 birds between us. All macaws! The wait staff was completely fascinated...and people were askin asking all sorts of questions about the birds.

I've had a couple of cable installers/repairmen come to our house and when we've asked to exchange remotes due to missing buttons they asked what happened to the remote. We mention parrots and THAT'S when they realize they've been in a room full of birds but never noticed. Of course, the birds were all very quiet since these guys were strangers ....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck with your move.

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street

:faint: I'm cracking up!! I have a mouth on me too! Beware!! :lol:
I may only be 5foot2, but my mouth makes me seem much taller :hehe:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Good luck with the move! Where about in Florida are you moving to, I'm currently in Gainesville but have lived all over Florida.
Any recommendations for an older (60's) couple with 2 adult sons we're leaving behind in IL and a (34+) flock of birds?

TurkeyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Any recommendations for an older (60's) couple with 2 adult sons we're leaving behind in IL and a (34+) flock of birds?
I would stay far away from South Florida unless you have plenty of $$$ can deal with crazy crazy drivers/people and tons and tons of them. All depends if you want to live in a city or in the boonies or near a coast, and which one but not too close because house prices and insurance will skyrocket. Most people like to live 20-45 minutes away from the smaller hub towns like Jacksonville, Saint Petersburg (I love st. pete area lived there for 4 years / Tampa (is too busy). Tons of beautiful small towns on the middle to north east coast of florida. Stay away from Daytona and Coco beach. New Smyrna or St. Augustine (if I get into PT school) are two of my favorite places, but surf access also becomes a huge plus for me where this won't matter for most. We plan on living in on of these two places after getting out of this beach-less town we call Gainesville. Also be away Florida gets HOT AS HELL, if you're not used to heat and humidity it can also lead you to HATE this place. I rather sweat all day then ever have to put on a jacket, we sorta get seasons further north and I think it gets cold (humid cold sucks).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Neither of us are from the Midwest. Fred's from NJ and I'm Brazilian and we've found the winters are getting harder on us plus IL is so darn expensive. Land of Lincoln my fanny, it should be called Land of Taxes. IL is the first state I've lived in where one has to get a village sticker to be able to have a car and drive it in the village w/o getting fined. Cops will actually check out cars in driveways for village stickers.

Plus both boys are adults and we're empty nesters excepts for the fids. Fred's two older sons live in FL; one in Tallahassee and the other in W. Melbourne so we're hoping to live somewhere in between and a little inland. Fred's thought was Kissimmee, Siesta Key or Sarasota area.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When I visited Florida, I loved the western coast around and above Homosassa Springs. Not as crowded and has wild areas still! However, I am a dyed in the wool Pennsylvanian and visiting Florida is fine, but I would never live there permanently. I live in the Susquehanna Valley portion of central PA and it is a magic area when it comes to storms and things like wild fires (none), earthquake (never more than level 5) and flooding (now and then). But Homosassa is one of my favorite places to visit.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Babalu, my grey, has been driven from CA to VA, VA back to CA and then CA to MN, with no real issues. He traveled in a black wire dog crate with rope perches and a corner grate perch. His cage was in both the front and back seats, elevated, with the back half covered with a towel. When we stopped to eat, I covered the front half as well so people wouldn't be looking in the windows and so he would be quiet. If it was hot, we left the car and AC on, with locked doors. We always got a seat by a window so we could see the vehicle. We stayed at Motel 6's, most of the time they we're really nice, then some decent and one we just left... I would let him out when we were in the room getting ready for bed. I bought the white shop towels from Costco to use as cage liners so stuff would not blow around as much and since they came in a huge pack and were so cheap, I just tossed them in the trash in the mornings before we left. Now I know macaws are much different than grey's but hopefully you can take something away from our travels :D good luck!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I've always thought that if I ever moved back to the USA then I'd try out California. I knew it was pricey, but didn't realize it was that bad. If I remember correctly, you're a teacher as well right?

Good luck on the move!