• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new adventure on the horizon

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Holy cow, you mean not every state does this? I was brought up that it was normal! We just started our second row of village stickers on our minivan!
Then again, whenever we go over to IN and someone asks what county we're out of, and we respond with Cook, they always say sorry...:lol:It makes me think of when we were at The Field Museum and I bought something, the guy asked if we wanted a bag and said it would be 7 cents. My dad thought he was joking! But nope, of course, there's a bag tax. Thanks, Chicago! Soon there will be a breathing tax and an existing tax..!

But yeah, make sure you have a way to protect yourself! And good luck! St. Pete seems like a nice place :)
I've lived in Hartsdale (the poor relative of Scarsdale), Westchester County, NY, then Brooklyn Park and Plymouth, MN, then Beverly, Marlton and Cherry Hill, NJ. It wasn't until we hit Arlington Heights, IL, that we got caught in the "village sticker" gyp. Our car with NJ plates was in the driveway and we were ticketed for not having a village sticker. I actually called the village and asked why only to find out that it "covered the repairs to village roads". When I asked why the state and federal taxes didn't cover that they couldn't give me a real answer but the ticket stuck.

Windy City has alot to do with the effing lying, ghost payroll employees and waaaay too many politicians who like the sound of their own voices (as in hot air).

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've lived in Hartsdale (the poor relative of Scarsdale), Westchester County, NY, then Brooklyn Park and Plymouth, MN, then Beverly, Marlton and Cherry Hill, NJ. It wasn't until we hit Arlington Heights, IL, that we got caught in the "village sticker" gyp. Our car with NJ plates was in the driveway and we were ticketed for not having a village sticker. I actually called the village and asked why only to find out that it "covered the repairs to village roads". When I asked why the state and federal taxes didn't cover that they couldn't give me a real answer but the ticket stuck.

Windy City has alot to do with the effing lying, ghost payroll employees and waaaay too many politicians who like the sound of their own voices (as in hot air).
That sounds about right for IL. Here, we're told the same thing. Our roads are awful, we don't have salt for the winter, but we do have an ugly clocktower and a lot of flowerpots!

I know Chicago gov. is trying to get the vast majority of the state's funding for schools. Yeah, forget the 98% of IL that isn't Chicago, because we're the only ones that matter! My local schools (3 elementary schools, 1 junior high, 1 lower grades school (I think it's pre-k through 2nd, mostly for kids with severe learning disabilities) and the 2 highschools in a different district (TF North and South) Are failing, and the state was supposed to swoop in long ago and take over.

Hooray for IL government!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
That sounds about right for IL. Here, we're told the same thing. Our roads are awful, we don't have salt for the winter, but we do have an ugly clocktower and a lot of flowerpots!

I know Chicago gov. is trying to get the vast majority of the state's funding for schools. Yeah, forget the 98% of IL that isn't Chicago, because we're the only ones that matter! My local schools (3 elementary schools, 1 junior high, 1 lower grades school (I think it's pre-k through 2nd, mostly for kids with severe learning disabilities) and the 2 highschools in a different district (TF North and South) Are failing, and the state was supposed to swoop in long ago and take over.

Hooray for IL government!

It almost sounds as if you live in Arlington Heights except for the fact that AH, in their utmost wisdom, sold the only high school building in AH so the AH kids go to high school in Rolling Meadows, Mt. Prospect, Prospect Heights or Buffalo Grove (and possibly Wheeling - I'm not sure).