• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A brief Milton observation on Elvis...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I spent my last few active years on a slow pitch softball team...I played "deep bench". I got pressed into service when we needed an extra body because of people's work schedules, etc.

We had a very good team...we got invited to play in national tournaments in the midwest...
The Data Card, Minnetonka, MN team ended up in the industrial league finals played in Little Falls, MN. My now ex, knowing zip about softball announced to his co-workers @ Cargill that my team was playing in finals in Grand Rapids, MI. It was quite a let down for him that my team wasn't. But then again, he was the laughing stock of the recreational co-ed softball games his "up to his standards" friends put together because he couldn't bat, lost his temper and couldn't catch. My former life wasn't much fun.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
2nd base and center field..... loved softball.
Best game in the world. It was softball that broke my left knee. I was warming up for a game, caught a ball and stepped backwards into a hidden hole. My knee dislocated and that was the beginning of knee problems.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Best game in the world. It was softball that broke my left knee. I was warming up for a game, caught a ball and stepped backwards into a hidden hole. My knee dislocated and that was the beginning of knee problems.
I couldn't get my glove to a fly ball so I caught it with the other hand.

Loved the game, can't wait until my 4 year old starts playing.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Hurts but it's worth it! I think I showed up for the very first practice without a glove because we'd never used gloves in rounders. Never again.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
...well, one of us would have to be in each of their rooms...you can't have a 'too unsupervised in a room alone....and they wouldn't be in the same room uncaged...again, because one bird is flighted (Elvis) and Milty isn't...not an even situation by any means...;)
Oh my goodness, Elvis and Milton out and unsupervised. That would be frightening. I left Elvis alone for less than 10 minutes one day and he stripped off about a 2 foot strip of wood from my 100 year old pocket door. :arghh: Completely my fault for leaving him unsupervised. But then I had to tell the fiancé, who was at work, what happened. I was worried that Elvis and I would be spending the night in a hotel. LOL. The fiancé didn't get mad but kept repeating "2 feet", "2 feet" over and over again.

Milton, who tears phone books apart, and Elvis out together....... Bob might not have a house left. LOL.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hey, to tell the truth...sometimes Milton, out of his cage and supervised, is...:eeeek:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
From the industrial league slow pitch softball catcher (because I couldn't bat or run to save my life) but I loved playing rounders as a kid, I get it. I had fun and I helped win several games because I made them pitch to me and was most often walked to first base. Or I bunted ... yeah, my knees and back don't believe I did that either.
2nd base and center field..... loved softball.
Sounds like we could get a team together of AA roadies...can't say how many games we'd win, but the stories that were told about our birds on the bench would be great...;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Didn't one of our members have to tear out the drywall in a closet after one of her toos (?) chewed a hole in the back wall and fell into it? I think Bob would have a remodeled home following Milton's bird blueprints.

I can just see it - Remodeling by Milton, Inc. "No guarantees included" followed by @JLcribber - Cribber Too Remodelling - "No bird remodeling job too big for us".

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Hurts but it's worth it! I think I showed up for the very first practice without a glove because we'd never used gloves in rounders. Never again.
Great stories...that's what I miss the most about playing..the stories told in the dugouts, on the benches, and bars after the game. :patrelax:

We used the 16 inch ball...without gloves....very difficult. I think I broke all my fingers on both hands at different times during the time I played...and I wasn't even a "regular" .

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Didn't one of our members have to tear out the drywall in a closet after one of her toos (?) chewed a hole in the back wall and fell into it? I think Bob would have a remodeled home following Milton's bird blueprints.

I can just see it - Remodeling by Milton, Inc. "No guarantees included" followed by @JLcribber - Cribber Too Remodelling - "No bird remodeling job to big for us".

Before anything can be remodelled there must be demolition. That is what we specialize in. :D

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Use to play, until I got hit with line drive, went right into my thigh. Had dinner plate size bruise for about 3 weeks. It also took out my L thumb. I'm a lefty that bats right hand, freaks pitchers out pretty good.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Use to play, until I got hit with line drive, went right into my thigh. Had dinner plate size bruise for about 3 weeks. It also took out my L thumb. I'm a lefty that bats right hand, freaks pitchers out pretty good.
You're definitely a great addition to the team. :yes3:

Worst injury I ever had playing softball...I came over to the field one day, just after we got back from Buffalo, NY after an annual for Cassie...I wasn't expecting to play...I had shorts, tee shirt and sneakers on. Well, I came just in the nick of time...we didn't have enough players to play the game and would have had to forfeit...so I played.
The first batter grounded out to second base...and being the catcher, I ran behind the batter to back up first. Unfortunately, I tore my hamstring doing it. I couldn't come out of the game...so I gutted it out.

The reward...I caught a no hitter :wow:...the "bad" news...I couldn't work for a week...:)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
But wasn't it fun?
Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way

Those were the Days, Mary Hopkin (have it on a record from a birthday)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

:heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Great, song stuck in my head now.....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I had to go for a ride today...so many of the places I've played on are now gone...

"Don't it always seem to go...that you don't know what you got till it's gone...they paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

Big Yellow Taxi

Joni Mitchell